Forums
Posted By: woofie Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 7th Nov 2016 10:26am
Hi.Is there anywhere in the Wirral where I can buy fresh caught Wild Rabbit,Squirrel etc? This was once very common & cheap to buy in local Butchers and is a tasty low-fat meat.
Unfortunately, with the decline of high street butchers, I can only find this & other Game meat to buy online which cost far too much in postage.
If there are any pest controllers,ferret workers, or shooting enthusiasts who can supply them, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Posted By: venice Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 7th Nov 2016 12:55pm
Maybe contact a shooting club or wildfowlers. There used to be a game butcher in Heswall -- Derek Massey . Not sure if hes still there - you could google him.
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 7th Nov 2016 2:21pm
Try Brian Harris Butchers in Oxton Road, Birkenhead.
Posted By: stanb Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 7th Nov 2016 6:30pm
Yep Masseys still there.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 8th Nov 2016 9:34am
I'm pretty sure the butcher's in Moreton (the one opposite Heron Foods) sells fresh rabbit.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 14th Nov 2016 8:14pm
We had rabbit alot but stopped buying it forty years ago.Google 'diseases in wild rabbits' to see why.We also bought them with the heads on as people thought cats were being used.

I took.a chance in Crete as my friends who live there said it was lovely. They turned out to be the cute little bunnies that ran between the tables and brought in the tourists.

Posted By: venice Re: Wild Rabbit for Cooking - 14th Nov 2016 10:33pm
Well thats a better life for them than the poor things raised in battery cages I suppose.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral