Forums
Posted By: RedTom Metal Polishing. - 1st Mar 2016 2:53pm
Hello folks, I'm restoring an old banjo,and need to polish some nickel components,are there any engineering enthusiasts on the site who may have a wheel set-up,or anybody who can point me towards a solution?
Thank you for reading, Tom.
Posted By: karlb Re: Metal Polishing. - 1st Mar 2016 4:38pm

Just goes on your drill http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...26+Polishing/sd2694/Polishing+Set/p58727
Posted By: RedTom Re: Metal Polishing. - 1st Mar 2016 4:46pm
Thank you for that, but I don't have a stand or vice for a drill, and as the parts I want to clean are small, I was thinking a bench wheel affair would be easier for me to hold the items while cleaning them, but if all else fails, I'll keep that in mind as an option.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal Polishing. - 1st Mar 2016 5:56pm
A dremel type drill may be of use, cheap ones crop up at aldi/lidl/maplin/toolstation/screwfix etc.

Takes a bit of practice not to demolish the small polishing wheels.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Metal Polishing. - 2nd Mar 2016 12:41am
Pity you're not nearer, Tom; I have polishing facilities which are a hangover from the days when I made jewellery. A word of warning: the fittings will be nickel plated steel, so take care not to cut through the plating.
Posted By: Lynda Re: Metal Polishing. - 5th Mar 2016 6:33pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
A word of warning: the fittings will be nickel plated steel, so take care not to cut through the plating.

If they are plated nickel, would it not be easier to replate?

Just wondering like lol
Posted By: chriskay Re: Metal Polishing. - 6th Mar 2016 3:40pm
Originally Posted by Lynda
Originally Posted by chriskay
A word of warning: the fittings will be nickel plated steel, so take care not to cut through the plating.

If they are plated nickel, would it not be easier to replate?

Just wondering like lol

Small job = expensive.
Posted By: RedTom Re: Metal Polishing. - 27th Jun 2016 7:17am
Thank you to those who recently replied (which I have managed to miss),I have solved the problem (at the expense of sore fingers for a few days)with some fine steel wool,and metal polish.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral