Forums
Posted By: snowhite Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 2:41pm
Putting this on for advice or anyone who has had this problem with there fish pond.Its a shot in the dark question. Reason is that i haven t seen any wiki member who has put any post up about fish ponds or treatments.
Here goes.
Done a fish pond in my garden last year and it all turned out great.
Then algea started to appear in the water .
Looked up advice in the internet and took 2 options
1.barley bales,
which i did ,and made no difference.
2.Hydra crystal solution,
Worked for 2 days and the water went green again.
Tried everything by emptying half the water and putting it back.
The fish are healthy enough but i can only see them when they come to the top.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 4:41pm
I used to get this in the pond in my old house. It's basically caused by the sunlight on the water. The best way to fix the problem is to fit a filter but it can be a bit expensive as it will involve wiring, a pump and a filter. Did you put enough barley in? I found it worked really well.
Good luck
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 4:44pm
If the algae is so bad buy a pump with a UV light in it. There's not cheap but it will keep your water like crystal. You can get them for garden ponds and places like Europa pools use UV disinfection because the UV light kills everything including Cryptosporidium that even Chlorine won't kill.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 9:49pm
Originally Posted by Uffda
I used to get this in the pond in my old house. It's basically caused by the sunlight on the water. The best way to fix the problem is to fit a filter but it can be a bit expensive as it will involve wiring, a pump and a filter. Did you put enough barley in? I found it worked really well.
Good luck
Hi Uffda,Yes the pond has a pump and filter.I keep it well maintained
3 barley bales are in the pond now.
The 28 days are up and no sign of the algea clearing.

I will try Captain Americas advice.......DD helped me look for one today.
So will keep you both updated.
Thanks to both of you x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 10:23pm
Is this the 30foot deep/ 2 foot circumferance fish pond discussed on earlier threads?
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Algea in fishpond - 5th Jun 2015 11:29pm
I have a uv on mine and also use cloverleaf treatment which works well but unless you have a uv light on the pond this will happen all the time
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 6th Jun 2015 8:33am
Originally Posted by neilmcc
I have a uv on mine and also use cloverleaf treatment which works well but unless you have a uv light on the pond this will happen all the time
Is the cloverleaf treatment in tablet or liquid?
Am a bit wary of the pond water treatments in case they harm the fish.
I will keep you all updated.Really gratefull for your advice.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Algea in fishpond - 6th Jun 2015 10:21am
Hi it's a powder you add to water in a watering can and sprinkle over the top of the water
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 7th Jun 2015 11:39am
Its been a right stubborn pond, we have tried three different chemical/biological treatments (each one at least twice) and while they show a tiny (and I mean tiny) short term improvement, the pond reverts within a couple of weeks.

UV seems to be the way to go, in the long term it will probably end up cheaper than successive biochemical treatments and hopefully actually do something.

The pond is just one year old now and even over winter the algae didn't subside, the most visibility has been about 8 inches and that was short-lived, its normally around the 2 inch mark. The filter system ensures its not physically thick, it is literally just like dark green dye. The filter captures brown stuff which I presume is dead algae.

UV kit on its way now.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Algea in fishpond - 7th Jun 2015 12:42pm
Uv is def the way to go
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 7th Jun 2015 5:32pm
I have taken a photo of the pond today,Water is so green,Will put a photo of the pond on this thread at a later date.
Waiting on the UV kit to arrive.
And fingers crossed this works.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 7th Jun 2015 9:00pm
Bit off topic but I was out in the garden today and discovered that I have tad poles in my pond. I don't have fish as I only put it in as a feature but was delighted to see I have some life in there. smile
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Algea in fishpond - 7th Jun 2015 11:11pm
Bit late for tadpoles probably newts
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 6:35am
Cheers Dusty but they definitely look like tad poles.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 9:55am
Newts look like tad poles until the tail shows.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 10:01am
Hi Dusty,had a look at them on Google images and the newt ones seem to have fins either side and mine don't. Hope you are right though but I'm happy whatever they are smile
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 10:03am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Take a photo Dilly and show us.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 10:51am
Originally Posted by snowhite
Take a photo Dilly and show us.

Sorry Snowy I wouldn't have a clue how to post a pic smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Algea in fishpond - 8th Jun 2015 9:32pm
still got taddies in my little pond as well as tons of midge larvae.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 12th Jun 2015 2:51pm
Today DD helped me install the uv Filter.Thanks DD xx
Here is a photo of the pond water,
So fingers crossed in 2 weeks time it will be crystal clear.
Thanks to everyone for there advise.
Will put another photo up when or if the water clears.

Attached picture 069.JPG
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 27th Jun 2015 2:08pm
Well its been nearly 2 weeks since the uv filter was fitted,here are the results.
There is a big difference but water seems to be cloudy now.Am sure this will go through time as well.
I can see the fish in the pond now lol.

Attached picture 071.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 3:33am
Seems to be entering a more stable stage again. The dead/dying algae was clumping and instead of arriving at the main filter it would either block the pump grills or clog the pipes so virtually the whole system has been getting a daily clean.

I have been mulling over whether to increase the flow rate to reduce the pipe clogging but kept it at the standard rate as the slower the water passes the UV, the higher the certainty of algae kill - which seems to have paid off.

At last it has gone back to dumping brown deposits in the main filter and the pumps are starting to stay relatively clear.

Planning another water change mid-week of approximately 20% and will keep repeating this every two to three weeks.

If the clouding doesn't subside I will add some bacteria and switch the UV off for a couple of days to let the bacteria take hold and then switch the UV back on.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 8:03am
Hello folks. A bit off topic again, but just to let you know my taddies are still swimming around and I have seen three frogs lurking in the rocks. None of the taddies have sprouted any legs yet . The frogs are very dark coloured. Snowy and DD your pond is looking good. I have nothing in mine but a pump recirculating the water through my homemade feature. Good luck.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 6:31pm
Hello folks. A bit off topic again, but just to let you know my taddies are still swimming around and I have seen three frogs lurking in the rocks. None of the taddies have sprouted any legs yet . The frogs are very dark coloured. Snowy and DD your pond is looking good. I have nothing in mine but a pump recirculating the water through my homemade feature. Good luck.
You got your frogs and taddies Dilly. raftl .Is your pond deep?
Thanks for the compliment by the way.
There are 10 goldfish in mine all growing big and healthy.
Would have loved a cpouple of carp but there too expensive.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 6:41pm
Not too deep Snowy about 18 inches I think. It's a preformed one that ive sunken in the ground. I only wanted it to make a bit of a water feature of so the wildlife is a bonus. The birds like to drink from it even though I have a birdbath , well I hope they are drinking and not trying to eat my taddies smile
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 7:06pm
Its nice to wake up to the sound of running water,am tempted to do one myself, my dads had Coy Carp in his for years, he`s lost a few to the odd Heron,but he got over that by building the wall higher as they tend to step in the water and fish,its usually the first place I go when am there,I like your fish pond snowy,
He has a UV filter an pump which keeps the water nice an clear,

I`ll get some photos next time am there.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 7:08pm
I love carp Van.didn t your dad put a net over his pond?
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 7:12pm
He`s had the net also had a decoy Heron but since building wall up,he`s never had a problem also they used to jump out the water and die,you`ll have to watch out for that.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 9:34pm
Never had that problem Van.well netted and cant jump.
If you do decide to do a pond .I can help you if needed.
Dilly has made his a little nature garden,with his frogs and tadpoles lol.Well done dilly
Posted By: Giggler Re: Algea in fishpond - 28th Jun 2015 10:41pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
He`s had the net also had a decoy Heron but since building wall up,he`s never had a problem also they used to jump out the water and die,you`ll have to watch out for that.

I read somewhere that you`re supposed to have two decoy herons so that any flying overhead think that there`s already a breeding pair there.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Algea in fishpond - 29th Jun 2015 6:23pm
Hi Giggler .. I only remember seeing the one,anyway it didn't work as far as I recall,You may have a point there.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 29th Jun 2015 8:37pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Its nice to wake up to the sound of running water,am tempted to do one myself, my dads had Coy Carp in his for years, he`s lost a few to the odd Heron,but he got over that by building the wall higher as they tend to step in the water and fish,its usually the first place I go when am there,I like your fish pond snowy,
He has a UV filter an pump which keeps the water nice an clear,

I`ll get some photos next time am there.
Remember to take some pics of your dads pond Van.
I would love to see it.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 15th Jul 2015 4:41pm
Well folks here is the result, DD and i are well pleased with the result.
It was worth investing in the UV filter.
water is far clearer and the fish are happy.
Here are the photos.

Attached picture 008.JPG
Attached picture 007.JPG
Posted By: Dilly Re: Algea in fishpond - 15th Jul 2015 4:52pm
Nice job Snowy, love the seating.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 15th Jul 2015 5:00pm
Yep, keeps on clearing in stages, last couple of days the filter has suddenly started collecting loads of stuff again. Still cleaning filter daily and clearing pumps most days as well.

Was going to do another water change this week but as its going through a period of improvement I'll let it progress naturally for another couple of weeks.

Visibility is about 8 inches which is pretty good.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 15th Jul 2015 8:17pm
Nice job Snowy, love the seating.
Thanks Dilly.
Teamwork lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 15th Jul 2015 10:23pm
The teamwork seat - dilly supplied the materials, snowhite made it, I sat on it.

Just looking back at the previous pictures and I can't believe the difference in the pond water.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Algea in fishpond - 25th Jul 2015 8:39pm
Hows the fish pond snowy, my Dads pride an joy ..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: starakita Re: Algea in fishpond - 25th Jul 2015 8:44pm
Some nice fish your Dad's got
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Algea in fishpond - 25th Jul 2015 9:15pm
Most of the fish you see,he`s had for must be getting on 20 yrs and we haven't cleaned the pond out since he fitted the UV filter about ten years ago its always clean
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 25th Jul 2015 9:48pm
Hi Van.am really pleased with the fishpond,the water has got even clearer since the last picture i put on.

I really love your dads pond and fish,You can see he has really taken time on it, well done.
The fish are massive lol love them.

I will take another photo tomorrow and show you.
My fish are not as big .
Would love carp but they are very expensive.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 26th Jul 2015 11:19pm
Still clearing, at last we could see to the bottom a few days ago (which was lucky as I accidentally dropped something in!) and in the last few days it is still getting clearer and we can now start seeing detail on the bottom.

Still collecting a fair bit of dead and live algae in the filter/pumps/pipes but I have been messing around with the water flow direction to help clear up all areas of the pond.

The 10 fish have been taking time to adjust to being able to see each other but now swim as one shoal most of the time which is absolutely great to see.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 12:13am
It is supposed to be 10 males, unfortunately it appears there is at least one female and we suspect two. There was spawning behaviour with one fish getting chased, pushed and shoved for a full day.

Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 10:16am
Good news is the water is now cleared and we can exactly see what is happening in that pond laugh.
I would guess 2 females and 8 males.
Your hard work and patience paid off at last DD.
Thank you smile xx
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 10:30am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
It is supposed to be 10 males, unfortunately it appears there is at least one female and we suspect two. There was spawning behaviour with one fish getting chased, pushed and shoved for a full day.

Good news about the improving water quality. The bad news is that by the sound of it the bearings on the water pump are squealing and well and truly buggered! (Or is it some sort of music ???) grin
Posted By: venice Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 5:10pm
Must be very satisfying finally getting the water clear and being able to actually see what youve got so to speak. Will they all settle down together eventually and stop the permanent chasing ,or do you have to adjust the balance between the sexes and swop a few males for females?
Posted By: snowhite Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 7:00pm
Originally Posted by venice
Must be very satisfying finally getting the water clear and being able to actually see what youve got so to speak. Will they all settle down together eventually and stop the permanent chasing ,or do you have to adjust the balance between the sexes and swop a few males for females?
That s the pond clear now .
Fish did calm down yesterday and everything back to normal Venice.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Algea in fishpond - 2nd Aug 2015 8:46pm
It was just the spawning, female full of eggs ready to drop out, males physically agitate the female to help get the eggs out and try to be first to fertilise them when they do.

Females get a bit of bruising sometimes but this one seems unscathed.

We think the eggs have been eaten already or may have arrived in the filter which is fine as we don't want loads of goldfish arriving.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral