Forums
Posted By: mezmrz Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 6:01am
Is it possible does anybody know whether you can walk across the Dee Estuary from the Wirral over to North Wales because everytime I look when the tide is out it looks like just sand.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 6:20am
I would think not, surely there must be mudflats and streams that we dont see from the shorelines. I would advise you not to try anyway smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 6:22am
Originally Posted by mezmrz
Is it possible does anybody know whether you can walk across the Dee Estuary from the Wirral over to North Wales because everytime I look when the tide is out it looks like just sand.

Please don't,

clicky
Posted By: lansyp Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 6:57am
No once your so far out you come to the river which never goes out ,tried when we where kids
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 7:06am
Thank you Dilly and Bertieone. I guessed it was probably not possible, even though when you look over when the tide is out that it it is. The article that was linked is so harrowing. Those poor boys have gave up their lives as a warning to never try it. I have friends who live in Mostyn and have often contemplated a walk across the sands when I have parked up near the Dee Sailing Club in Caldy to save money on petrol, but reckon after reading that devastating story about those poor boys and the effect on their families that it's a risk not worth taking.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 7:11am
Thank you Iansyp I've often wondered whether to try it. It's good you came back safe.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 7:24am
In thanks to Bertieone digging out that article, here is something I found online about a safe walking route across:-

http://thecoastalpath.co.uk/wirral-coastal-walk-neston-hawarden/
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 7:47am
A few years ago by the blue bridge i watched a lad walk into the water at low tide from the welsh side. Expecting him to sink up to his neck i slowed down on my bike and watched. He got nearly waist deep and made the other side, turned round and walked back much to the amusement of his friends. So yes you can walk across the Dee but i would not recommend it
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 8:02am
@pacef8 so funny, reminds me of when I was at the River Dee in Chester on a sweltering hot summer day watching youngsters throwing themselves off the walk bridge and one of them ending up landing in a belly flop. She was ok though luckily.

If that guy was waist deep by the blue bridge at low tide then I guess further north up the coast must exist more perils.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 8:54am
Don't even think about it, remember if you did try and screwed it up, others will risk their lives trying to get to you so, please don't, the Dee is beautiful and looking from the Wirral way or the beach is safer alternative.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 9:08am
We all thought we were invicible as youngsters, sadly we are not as some have learnt at great expense. Dont try it !!!!!!!!!
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 9:42am
I wonder though if there was a miniature canoe, that could be developed that you could carry?
Posted By: yoller Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 3:04pm
Please, just put the whole idea out of your head. As has already been pointed out, you could end up endangering yourself and others.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 10:34pm
As there is no large boat movements past mostyn docks. You would think they would build a road bridge across
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 21st Jun 2014 10:39pm
Would it be viable? They would have to work out where to build it, where the local roads could cope with the extra traffic and not have the locals protesting. Then charge to go on it to pay for it, then put up the cost each year, so the protesters are kept happy.
Posted By: draig Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 22nd Jun 2014 12:01am
Hi Folks, I'm new here blush

People used to be able to walk/wade across The Dee, the father one of my friends used to cross from Flint to Neston at Neap Tides about in the 1950s - but he had to wear waders.

To do this you had to be very familiar with the river because the navigable channel could shift by 25 feet after each high tide. There were also quicksands and deep mud to contend with as well as very cold water from Bala Lake.

These days you don't get the very low water levels in the river because of the linking of the Bala area reservoirs and legal requirements for minimum flow rates in the river.

Also, during the last couple of years they have been using a suction dredger to maintain a channel for the barges taking A380 wings from the Airbus site at Broughton down to Mostyn Port, so the river channel is deeper.

I like the idea of a another bridge, but the Dee Estuary is a RAMSDAR protected wildlife habitat and there are five Sites of Special Scientific Interest alongside the estuary so it would be very expensive to build one in that area even if planning permission could be obtained.

I think the only option would be to build a submerged tunnel like they did for the A55 at Conway. It might be possible to get EU funding for this as an improvement of the strategic European trans-national route from Ireland - bearing in mind the problems of widening the A55.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 22nd Jun 2014 1:35am
Further down the discussion on this forum, one member referred to a discussion taking place over plans to build a Gayton-Greenfield barrage. I think the Dee Estuary maybe a protected area for wildlife so plans for that I assume would be quashed. I think that the Moreton spur on the M53 was designed to continue on into Wales, maybe continuing a path under a tunnel, as it seems an awful lot of motorway serving a low population.
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=688757
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 22nd Jun 2014 1:43am
Hi draig, I wrote my last post before reading yours unfortunately and confirms my comment about the Dee Estuary being a protected area. I wish they had built that tunnel around the same time they had built the Mersey tunnels. Also wish they hadn't closed Mostyn rail station.
Posted By: draig Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 22nd Jun 2014 10:58pm
Yep, agree with you there. There were enough tunnels dug under The Dee to extract coal so they could have killed two birds with one stone - obviously the birds weren't protected back then wink
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Walking across the Dee Estuary - 25th Jun 2014 9:47am
I kayak in the Dee at high tide and its amazing that its only a few feet deep where the boats are moored in the middle.

But, as has been said, the mud under the sands is horrible.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral