Forums

Hi, Guys...a fresh CB RADIO thread, finally!

So many years wanting and waiting, and it's finally here.

OKAY! IT'S SOON TO BE OFFICIAL!
AM/SSB LEGAL AFTER JUNE 27TH!

Take a look...

LEGAL UK CB FM/AM/SSB JUNE 27TH, ON...
Posted By: doolze Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 17th Jun 2014 10:03pm
crazy At last, new breath into our hobby
Posted By: Tanzi Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 18th Jun 2014 8:41am
Used to love my CB until i met my exhusband on it tease
with being housebound it was great but its been over *cough30cough* years and i dont think id even remember how to set up or what to buy that was decent nowadays ... and hopefully now we are digital all the neighbours wont get our voices over the TV hahaha

Somebody could put your rig together, again, for you, Tanzi. It's early days, yet, so there's plenty of time. Get the stuff down and see if you can manage to get it all together, again, yourself. At least, then it'll be down and available for anybody else to assemble it for you. You might surprise yourself.

nice to see a cb thread on the go again 10 10 till we do it again good buddy break break

We will do it, one day, RD!

She's coming back around, old HMS CBRadio and we're all gonna love Her when she comes!

Thank God, I'll be able to get off the Internet for longer periods during my day - allelujah! The Internet has its uses, but Gaaaawd, it's so boring, otherwise.
Ok, so what are you guys going to talk about on your CB, that you cant do on here, besides do spelling mistakes or bad grammar :-) I remember having an intercom system in work and picking up "Noddy" from Toytown who lived nearby.

Hi, ZipperClub...

What we will talk about will be little different from the things we used to talk about on 40 occupied FM channels, 12-24 hours a day, starting around 1982 - every legal, decent and morally correct subject. Nobody needs to be able to type to do it, or think about their spelling, syntax or grammar; they'll just key up and speak, then unkey and listen.

One knob turns the machine on, another finds a person to talk to, on 14 or 19. Another knob spins and they arrive at the agreed to channel. Then, the key on the microphone goes in and the person speaks. Then, they let go and hear what the other says. No crossed conversations and no interruptions.

I recall conversational topics which included: astronomy, astrology, the paranormal, politics, finances, TV, films, photography, music, actors, actresses, sports of all kinds, furniture, curtains, house building, house buying, car buying and maintenance, motor cycles and accessories and banking. I used to play chess on CB, sometimes against more than 2 people at a time.

Whatever two people can talk about in the street, they can talk about on a CB Radio. On some channels, often, there would be a network (10 to 20 people, and sometimes more) people on the same channel, having an on-channel quiz - seriously.

Among the people in my old CB log, from back-in-the-day, were university and school students, solicitors, barristers, consultant surgeons, nurses, soldiers, RAF technicians, police officers, HAM radio users, security officers in nearby premises, teachers going to or from school, university lecturers and researchers, trucks/van/other drivers during their job/s, especially big-wheelers parked up and taxi drivers parked up.

I made and met 44 local new friends out of the log entries numbering over 441. There was always somebody to talk to, at any time of the day or night, back then.

It was a pleasantly mixed bag. It will be, again.

(ZipperClub? Is that connected to surgery in some way? I used to have an uncle who was the President of the Zipper Club and I was just wondering.)

Ian. ("The Witch Finder General" / "The Sea Witch")
Posted By: uggla Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 19th Jun 2014 12:29pm
Been shouting out on the 19 for over an hour been mobile only to find out my mike is broken lol

OH! I understand your PM reply, now. Can you fix your mic'?
Posted By: uggla Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 19th Jun 2014 3:25pm
Yeah but cannot be bothered going to buy a Multimode set anyway

I look forward to hearing some good news from you, then, Uggy!

What make/model are you hoping to buy?

Hello?

Uggla...what rig are you going for?

By the way - AM/SSB is now legal, for CB use, without a license and with any aerial you can legally put on your house.

Ian.

Hi, CB Folks...

FIRST TIME ON SIDEBAND AND I GOT 38 MILES INTO MACCLESFIELD, ON JUST A BEDROOM (7 FEET FIRESTIK) AERIAL! IMAGINE WHAT YOU GUYS ARE GONNA BE DOING ON EXTERNAL AERIALS!

Whoa, yeah! That's breathed a fresh breath of excitement into this guy's time on the radio!

Ian.
ludwigvan

Isn't Facebook, Wikiwirral or other social media a more modern form of cb radio though?
Do your comments apply to us
Good point well made Derek,I think perhaps it's the actual verbalization that resonates with me,it just seems a bit needy and desperate .I take your point though.

The rude comment has been reported!
Originally Posted by TheGodSplinter

Cant do that on Cb with grown-ups saying things

Ha Ha,thanks for that post splint it has really made my day.Good luck to you.
Posted By: uggla Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 29th Jun 2014 3:47pm
Might pop into Knights CB Shop in Gainsborough next time i head towards Leeds and buy a Grant 2 unless i find a highly illegal Superstar 3900 or Grant 1 with a UK40 Mod :D, Then need to Convince my girlfriend i want to put an Aerial on the house, i already have a cb in my works van but its A bit rubbish.

No idea what cb radio has in connection with CB radio btw ludwigvan, you wouldn't get a radio Ham selling his radio equipment to post on Wikiwirral.

I have the Certificates to get my ham Licence and i don't mean the easy Foundation Licence, did it when i was 19 and still not sent off for my Full licence, 41 now and been thinking about getting it for a while, the new legal EU channels have go me interested again and i wont need permission off my mummy to let me use it after 9pm but my little girl of 30 months might have an issue if she isn't asleep

The rude comment has been removed.
Posted By: uggla Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 29th Jun 2014 3:53pm
Sent a Pm Ian didn't realise i have a message.

38 Miles from an indoor Aerial is mighty impressive, i remember talking to someone in Scotland on a magmount when in my works van outside work in Prenton in the 90s on my Superstar 2000 quite a buzz from it.

Uggie...

I look forward to one of the old-squad of CB users getting back on; somebody who remembers what the earlier days were like and stands well qualified to bring a little of that feeling back to CB, locally - and, maybe, not so locally.

I look forward to hearing you on, then, Uggie...take care.

Witchie.

Uggie...

We keep crossing with each other. I've replied to the PM.

Witchie.

If you start shooting back, for yourself, on this forum, you get into trouble. I'm very good at shooting back, as you've already noticed, and I like to stick to the rules of a forum.
I`m going to get a CB woo hoo!!
Posted By: towim Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 30th Jun 2014 8:28am
Well I am on the Wirral for a few days and have brought my midland rig, as I had some kit up here to test.

I will be back up up on the wirral for a few weeks in about 3 weeks.

Looking forward to see if the base antenna on my parentschimney is still swr'din after 20 years.

I have been training for my foundation for a few months and now AM has become legal its a nice easy way for me play.

Matt

Good luck on the testing, Matt. Looking forward to hearing you on, some time, soon.

If you start shooting back, for yourself, on this forum, you get into trouble. I'm very good at shooting back, as you've already noticed, and I like to stick to the rules of a forum.
No splint,I haven't noticed that you are very good at shooting back,I have however noticed that you are very quick to take offence and to run off and tell the teacher rather than engaging in a debate and perhaps defending your little hobby.I'll bet you are a terrible snitch at school.

Before you read this, know that I HAVE BLOCKED YOU - I will see nothing else that you post. I'm confident that you will write another post to me, though, probably to ask me to tutor you to A-Level English, and beyond. It's such a shame that you'll have to go on limping through your use of our Homeland's language, disillusioning all of those forced to go on reading you.

I've corrected your errors, below, because I know that using the English language (by which you are so clearly challenged) is one of those gems of knowledge that the world obviously hid from you, inside the covers of books! You should locate, and sue, your English teacher/s.

"No[sic] splint[sic][sic],[sic]I haven't noticed that you are very good at shooting back,[sic]I have however noticed that you are very quick to take offence and to run off and tell the teacher[sic] rather than engaging in a debate and perhaps defending your little hobby.[sic]I'll bet you are a terrible snitch at school."

Well, let's see! I'm 57 years of age. I've put in more than 72,000 hours on UK FM CB radio, starting in 1982. During that time, I took part in the saving of 7 lives, using CB, one life of which was that of a baby being born on a pavement, at 0443 in the morning, in Liverpool's Huyton area.

I, along with around a dozen others on CB, used to secretly fund CB radios and their fitting and testing-in-place, for the elderly and for the disabled, always anonymously, so that they had CB to give them some company - it worked, too.

My hobby isn't under anything that I need to recognise as a worthy attack, so it requires no defending.

I spent a lot of years as a fully qualified tutor of the English language, which is why your posts merely amuse me. I was what was called a "Literacy Technician" and taught car thieves, muggers and burglars, to help them on the road to rehabilitation. Magistrates, when dispensing suspended sentences to perpetrators, used to send them to me, and I used to give them back people, within a year, who could write 12 page (error-free) essays!

Here's a hint I'll leave with you. YOU NEED A SUPERIOR BRAIN TO ANNOY SUPERIOR PEOPLE! You must accustom yourself to being unable to match me, therefore. Remember, now...you're blocked and I will be completely unable to see anything with which you reply.

I could easily learn to love WikiWirral!

The Witch Finder General.
you may add me to your list, I do not wish to read your posts either.
I used to think I knew how to spell no,now I know I don't know how to spell no,all these years I unknowingly didn't know nothing about spelling no.If anyone knows how to spell no please let me know,I can't ask splint as he's thrown his teddy out of the pram.
too funny lud...the splinter is somewhat OTT. snowman
Originally Posted by snowshoes
too funny lud...the splinter is somewhat OTT. snowman
Yeah Snowy he is somewhat up himself,when I read his post (diatribe)I kept hearing Hitler's voice in the background and when he described himself as a superior person I started to wonder whether he transmits the Nuremberg rallies over his little radio thingy.
I was going to see if I could wire an aerial to one of my crutches, but I think I have a better use for at least one of them :-)
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
I was going to see if I could wire an aerial to one of my crutches, but I think I have a better use for at least one of them :-)
It might be a bit of a squeeze with his head already up there.
Yes , I did put up a pic somewhere.. Random Thoughts, I think.
ahh it was funny pictures...
[Linked Image]
Nice one Zip,a picture truly is worth a thousand words.
I'm on all the time on 27.555 usb give me a shout 26uk033 or 26cb05
Can anyone recommend a good CB Radio 'doctor' ? , i have a Midland Alan 78 and decided to dig it out today, so i set that and my Midland 4001 up too, and i can't seem to get any transmission from either, tried other aerials and microphones to no avail.

Would be good to get these working again, so any help greatly appreciated
Posted By: Mark Re: CB RADIO! OFFICIAL: LEGAL AM/SSB JUNE 27TH... - 25th Aug 2015 7:07pm
Could it be a Mike Issue ?
Originally Posted by minimad5
Tried other aerials and microphones to no avail
wink
Wish it was though frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral