Forums
Posted By: bobypam Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 8:56am
Hello there,

I might be leaving it a little late, though I am trying to find two English friends I became good friends with over two years in Australia, in 1966-1968. Their names are Edward Fellows and Keith Prowse, and I met them when the three of us were working at Mt Isa mine 1966-1967, and then we drove over to WA in my 1964 Datsun Bluebird to work at Mt Tom Price. We separated in 1968; Keith, a fitter and turner, stayed at Mt Tom Price, and he always said he was saving enough money to go home to England to buy a Sunbeam Alpine. Eddie I think had a family member working further up north.

I know that as I'm 70 years now, one or both could have past on now as they were both smokers. If so I would like to contact their families - spouse, children, or friends. I was born 1943, and they were about the same, so I would say born 1937-1944. One of them Edward Fellows, I remember saying about getting a bus in Birmingham, and Keith Prowse said he came from the middle part of England.

They both had top of the range cameras, and took a huge amount of our outback adventures in Qld and WA, I would love to get some of them for my family. Most of all I still hope to speak to both of them.

My phone number in Australia is 0011 617 3286 3260 and my email address is [email protected]. Trying to contact Edward and Keith is number one on my bucket list, I would say!

Kind regards,
Bob Burns

Posted By: Mark Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 9:45am
How nice,
but not much to go on.

Middle England is about 1h from where the Wirral is.
Birmingham is about 2hrs.
Our majority of members are in Merseyside, but hey you never know.

How ever Google should pick up your message and anyone using them names should show up in there search engine. I wish you the best of luck.
Posted By: granny Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 11:14am
Could somebody put your message on 'Facebook' for you, it seems to be what most people use these days?
Maybe under two different searches , one for Fellows and one for Prowse.

I'm sure someone could help you.

Maybe someone on this site could do it for you, if you so wished, but not sure, as I don't understand it either. laugh

Good Luck
Posted By: bobypam Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 11:29am
Thank you Mark.I do have one Edward Fellows,born 1937 in Wirral,Cheshire.I do have a few photos of him,and this posting I hoped might find a old school friend here even.I love your friendly site and I hope to stay around anyway.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 1:09pm
Originally Posted by bobypam
Thank you Mark.I do have one Edward Fellows,born 1937 in Wirral,Cheshire.I do have a few photos of him,and this posting I hoped might find a old school friend here even.I love your friendly site and I hope to stay around anyway.

Hello Bob,

The, Edward Fellows, 1937 you mention was Edward C Fellows born 1937 Wirral, mothers maiden name, Mercer. Unfortunately, a Edward Charles Fellows death was registered in 1998, Birkenhead, Cheshire, which is Wirral. His birth year was 1937.
Likely to be the same one but not conclusive.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 4:40pm
I work with a guy called Kenny Fellows, will ask if he's any relation.
Thank you. I have been on 192,though most people these days don't have their phone no listed these days,and I have found some not replying to reply paid post even.

Hello Bert, I hope that's not him passing away in 1998. I think I looked to see if that Eddie had a brother or sister,with their mothers maiden name Mercer,and no result. Did this Edward get married,and if so,not before 1966-1968 when my Eddie was with Keith Prowse and myself in Mt Isa Qld and Mt Tom Price WA.
By the way,that some party with the group I was with in Mt Isa when England won the world cup.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 16th Apr 2014 6:58pm
Hi Bob,

There was a Audrey Fellows, birth registered 1935, Birkenhead, Cheshire, Mothers maiden name, Mercer, very likely a sister.

A marriage between Edward Charles Fellows and Barbara Ruth Doyle, 1970, West Cheshire.

There doesn't appear to be any children, Fellows/Doyle marriage, none that I can find so far.
Hi Bert, Great info you got,and thank you. That Audrey you found has aroused my interest,and I will tell you why. When Eddie and I went different ways,he said he was going to Kununnura WA as he had a sister or aunty working as a hairdresser there. That is where the great dam was being built. Only last week I phoned some people there now to see if anyone was there still after all this time. Yes there is an 80 year old lady who at the age of thirty took her young son to get his hair cut by her. Trouble is she can't think of her name name. It is possible that might be Audrey. This lady said her age then would have been 25-30 years old.Great work Bert.
Barbara Ruth Fellows has passed on now?
You could google the addresses of local newspapers and appeal to them. Think Birmingham has the Birmingham Mail but not sure? I've always found them most obliging when I have tried to track someone down.
Friends Reunited website worth a try
Thank you Helles. I did not try Birmingham Mail,and I will call them. I am looking at what bertone has dug up for me and Edward Charles Fellows from Wirral has my interest,and I hope his wife and his sister are still alive to confirm if he is the one.
Hello, I have been on Friends United for a while and no luck so far. Thank you.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 17th Apr 2014 6:13am
Hi Bob,

Did Edward emigrate from England or was he just in Oz on a work permit?

I can't find a death for Barbara Ruth Fellows.

There was a marriage in 1963, Wirral, Audrey Fellows and Brian D Waugh, 2 children were born to that marriage,

Ngaire J Waugh, 1965, Birkenhead
Alison Janine Waugh, 1968, Birkenhead

Ngaire may be contactable through 192.
Hi Bert, If I am wrong,someone please correct me. I think they both came out on the ten pound Pom's scheme,and the deal was they had to stay at least two years,and if they didn't had to pay 120 pounds to go back home before that.
As for Ngaire J Waugh,I couldn't find him on 192. Make me wonder if Audrey Fellows also came out on the ten pound deal and never came back.Maybe that was Audrey Fellows was the hairdresser at Kununnura 1968. I might phone Liverpool Echo and see if there was a memorial in their paper 1998 for Edward Charles Fellow.
Thank you and all for lookups and advice.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 17th Apr 2014 9:40am
Hello Bob,
you're quite right about the £10 pom's.

Ngaire is a female's name, had to look it up myself, I found this for 192,
http://www.192.com/atoz/people/waugh/ngaire/sw11/1232951301/

Posted By: Waddi Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 17th Apr 2014 10:11am
No luck with my work colleague, sorry, hope you find everything you are looking for.
Posted By: Alonso Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 17th Apr 2014 11:11am
Wow! Nobody can criticise the people on this site for the amount of effort they are willing to put in to help somebody. That's why wikiwirral is such a great forum. No wonder there are always hundreds visiting on-line at any given time.
By the way, I hope bobypam gets the result they are are searching for. Good luck.
Hello Bert, Thank you for info on Ngaire and with no phone number,I will post and hope for a reply. Do you think I will be able to get the memorial for Edward Charles Fellows 1998,if any from the Liverpool Echo, or local Wirral paper?

Posted By: Helles Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 17th Apr 2014 10:22pm
Wirral Globe (Free newspaper) contact details.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/contactus/
Posted By: bobypam Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 18th Apr 2014 12:54am
Thank you Helles.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 18th Apr 2014 5:02am
Hello Bob,

An obituary in 1998 would most likely have been placed in either the Liverpool Echo, Wirral Globe or Wirral News.
However, I feel you will need to be very lucky if there's mention of him spending 2 years in Oz, within that obituary.

Perhaps the UK National Archives hold records for migration from these shores for that period of time, you may find something there.

I hope you're able to make contact with Ngaire, I'd be very surprised if she's not Edward's niece, any information from her will be of great value, even if it only eliminates this Edward from the list, Good Luck.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Try this site, it's free, go to England then Warwickshire, Birmingham is in that County, you can leave a message, it's a genealogy site and people are very helpful.

It's for all English Counties.
Posted By: bobypam Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 18th Apr 2014 12:36pm
Thank you davew3.

Sounds like a very good site,and will try Saturday night,OZ time.I still want to have a look at Edward Charles Fellows,born 1937 Wirral Cheshire,married Birkenhead 1970,and died 1998. Looks like had sister,and I am going to write to one of her maybe daughters now in London.

,and

hello davew3 I went to the site and went rootschat,and spoke to a few of them and they said can't help. Against the privacy laws,and the years I asked for migration,too soon also. Thanks for the idea,and I appreciate all the help from everyone.
Good news to all who have helped me on this very good site,re my Bucketlist no 1. Here is some news from the Liverpool Echo,with the help of Donna.
Hi Bob

Thank you for your email.

I shall place it in for you this coming Saturday - 26th April. I hope this is of assistance to you and wish you every success.

Kind Regards
Donna

--

Donna Price
Editorial
Liverpool ECHO
Trinity Mirror Merseyside
0151 330 5086
Fingers crossed for you bobypam, lets hope you get some news.
Posted By: bobypam Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 26th Apr 2014 10:31am
My letter will be in the Liverpool Echo today,Saturday.If someone has today's paper could they please scan it and post it here please. Should be titled bucket list I. Thank you.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 26th Apr 2014 4:15pm

Attached picture Scan0008.jpg
Thank you bert1,and to the Liverpool Echo,and to Wiki Wirral.co.uk. Also bert1,I did post a letter to Ngaire in London last Monday asking if her uncle,born in Wirral,travelled to Australia.
Hi

I checked with Landican Cemetery and although they can't disclose information I did get that Edward C Fellows was cremated in 1998 and that he was aged 61 yrs.

This does look more likely that its the same person you seek,as this would have him born 1937 same as Birth Reg found also he would now be 77yrs old.Also enquired about death of a Barbara Fellows none found.

I will try and go to the Library this week and look up the Echo,Globe and Birkenhead News for Nov 1998 to see if I can find obit.

Why don't you try email to Wirral Globe with a photo of Edward and ask if they will place a letter searching for anyone who may know his wife Barbara's or family whereabouts.
Wirral Archives Service
CONTACT DETAILS
Cheshire Lines Building
Canning Street
Birkenhead
Wirral CH42 IND
Tell 0151606 2929

Census records for Wirral
1841-1901
Electoral registers for Wirral
1842-1900
Records for burials in municipal cemeteries
Hello plantpot. I am 71 this year and they both were about the same getting up to about 77 years now maybe. I liked this Edward Fellows,because I'm looking for Edward Fellows born 1937-1944,who never married until at least 1969,as they were on the ten pound migration scheme and would have to stayed at least two years in Australia.If you could go to the library,that would be great.
I will send a photo of Edward to the Wirral Globe,and ask if they will place a letter searching for anyone who may know his wife Barbara's or family whereabouts.Donna at the Liverpool Echo who published my letter last Saturday,may do it if the Wirral Globe can't. Thank you.
Thank you dustymclean.potplant is going to the library for me and I will take his advice also and send a photo of my Edward to the Wirral Globe,seeking living relatives or friends.
Hello plantpot.Letter to Wirral Globe.Hello Sophie,At present I am looking at an Edward Fellows,born Wirral,Cheshire, 1937, married a Barbara Doyle 1970,and sadly died 1998. I hope this is not my Edward,though I would like to speak to his family if it is.Would you place this in your paper please,in letter to the editor,or as a story, searching for anyone who may know his wife Barbara's or family whereabouts.
I have included two photos of Edward,he being the dark hair one.
Kind regards
Bob Burns.
Posted By: bobypam Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 29th Apr 2014 10:49am
Reply from Sophie, Wirral Globe.
Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for getting in touch. I have passed your matter on to editor Leigh Marles as a matter of urgency, I’m hoping we’ll be able to do all we can to help. Your photographs are wonderful, so evocative and really something to treasure – I do hope you get back in touch with Edward and Keith again.

Whereabouts in Australia do you live? I went travelling there some years ago and absolutely loved it.

All the very best Bob,

Sophie

Hi

I have looked in the Wirral Globe,Wirral News and Wallasey News copies for Nov to early Dec 1998 no obituary listed.I did find from the cemetery he died 2nd Nov.I will be going back again soon and will look through the daily copies of the Liverpool Echo as I didn't have time this visit.

Did you get any reply from the possible niece you wrote to in London?

Hello plantpot. Thank you for looking in those papers and if you have yet to look up the Liverpool Echo,please don't go. I have a lady from the Birkenhead library looking up that paper,when she is rostered back on Thursday. No I haven't got a reply back yet from Njaire Waugh in London,though is certainly Edward Charles Fellows niece. All I asked her to let me know if her Edward was in Australia 1966-1968. I will let you know about the obituary when I'm contacted on Thursday,and thanks for the effort.
Thanks for letting me know I was going to look on Friday or Sat.

This is a photo Edward Fellows. If this is the Eddie that you may have went to school with,or you worked in the workplace with,or maybe he was your grandfathers mate,please contact me please

Description: Edward Fellows Mt. Isa. 1966
Attached picture scan0084 Edward Fellows.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Bucket list no 1. Finding two English friends. - 21st Jul 2014 10:28pm
Bobypam have you seen this? No8. on the list...Birkenhead . Could it be? There's another no. 18 on list, could be a son .
Another at No.47 in Ellesmere Port.

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/fellows/edward/

age 65 plus.

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/fellows/edward/ch41/1460597092/
Hello granny,Thanks for that and I will have a look.
It seems Edward Fellows born in Wirral,married in Wirral to Barbra Ruth Doyle in Birkenhead in 1970,and they had no children It seems.Eddie died 1998,and there is no report of death of his wife Barbra. I did find a Barbra R Fellows over 65 years living in Liverpool,and I wrote,snail mail to her asking if if that was her husband in Wirral,or at let me know if her husband ever worked in Australia. No reply.
With help from great Wiki Wirral members searching,it appears ther was no memorial. Maybe this means there may have been a family split? I think it was bert1 who found Eddie had a sister in Wirral,married maybe a Kiwi,had two daughters,and one may have been named after a New Zealand white flower.I did write to one of the daughters,telling her the story,no reply.I think his sister was Audrey Fellows. The reason I have been looking at this Eddie,he married in 1970,is the Edward that was travelling with Keith Prowse and I 1966-1968

Edward Fellows and myself taken by Keith Prowse,on the way to the Gregory Downs hotel 1966.

Description: Eddie & Bob 1966
Attached picture 1-1-scan0081.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral