Forums
Posted By: Uffda Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 5:13pm
Just wondering who owns the wheelie bins, the council or the householder. When the council stop collecting the green garden waste I was thinking of turning the wheelie bin into a water butt but don't want to just yet they decide to take them back.
Is the Wirral going to be littered with unused brown wheelie bins?
Any ideas anyone?
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 5:42pm
i think its the household as if you want a new one you have to pay the council £25 so in theory your buying it off them!!
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 5:55pm
From the Council:
"In August, the Council will notify non-subscribers to arrange for your bin to be removed. You may choose to keep your brown bin in case you decide to sign up in the future"
If your bin is removed, and you then decide to subscribe to the scheme in the future you would need to purchase a new bin at a cost of £37.00"
www.wirral.gov.uk/gardenwaste
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 6:27pm
One wonders what the unit cost per bin is to the council??

You can bet your bottom dollar that they'll be trying to make a very handsome profit on the deal. The whole thing stinks more than that lovely liquor at the bottom of the bin on a hot day!!
Posted By: granny Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 7:11pm
My understanding always was, that councils are to be 'non profit' making....
I suppose the extra would be put down to delivery charges!! Maybe those returned wil be recycled and addtional profit can be made, as they will have originally been paid for through our council tax.
THey could always bring back the garden waste bags...remember them?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/2711...12=67&ff13=80&ff14=64&ff19=0
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 7:18pm
Thanks Granny. Interesting info.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 7:43pm
I thought the brown bin debacle had been laid to rest?
Posted By: granny Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 8:07pm
Obviously not Moonstar,,,, smile

Just found this and although it is a different council and 2011, it is FOI on garden waste. Cost per household per annum ..£13
So far I have been unable to find the same for Wirral. Maybe someone else might be able to.

http://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/foi-garden-waste-services
Posted By: jerdubig Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 9:09pm
If we do end up keeping them ,let us know how you make it into a water butt, I was going to get one but ill hang on now. Good Idea
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 11th May 2013 10:04pm
they are not getting my brown bin as I had to purchase one off them when I moved here as we never had one.
also I will not be paying for them to collect my garden waste it will either be taken to the tip or added to my green bin.
don't see why we have to pay for this service when council tax is very high
Posted By: Uffda Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 12th May 2013 8:40am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
I thought the brown bin debacle had been laid to rest?

I didn't mean to flog the subject of why we should pay for our green waste to be collected, I was just curious about what happens afterwards. I was starting to think about what use I could put our spare wheelie bin to but thought I should wait until certain that the council will not take them back. It got me thinking about what was going to happen to all the unused brown wheelie bins. People are not going to want them on their drives if they're not going to be emptied. I wondered if the council would sell them to one of the companies such as http://www.avantiplasticrecycling.co.uk/services/wheelie-bins/, who recycle them and make some extra money.
Just my little brain having a ponder.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Who Owns The Wheelie Bin? - 12th May 2013 1:33pm
We're all doing plenty of pondering just now Uffda, especially as the lunatics are running the Council - who is running the asylum?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral