Forums
Posted By: NUMBERSIX New Brighton Marine Lake - 14th Mar 2013 8:38pm
Hi

Does anyone know who controls access to the marine lake in New Brighton? If you have your own boat/canoe or kayak - can you just go on? West kirby is owned by the council and is rather pricey.

Posted By: j_demo Re: New Brighton Marine Lake - 14th Mar 2013 8:50pm
pretty sure i've seen people just rock up and put a kayak or whatever in the water.

i don't think you have to pay to use it, i remember once when i was a kid i had an inflatable dinghy i went in there with and did some crab fishing about 2-3 meters out... fun times!
Posted By: davew3 Re: New Brighton Marine Lake - 14th Mar 2013 9:30pm
Belongs to the council,this year a guy called Neil was supposed to be running it as a boat training centre, but the last time I saw him he said he was now running a visitors boat on the river Dee, I have seen various boats on the lake but, I've no idea now.
Posted By: IanPenny Re: New Brighton Marine Lake - 14th Mar 2013 10:02pm
Last I knew it was run by Safe Water Training on Victoria Parade, http://www.safewater.co.uk/index.php?id=39
Posted By: WildswimmerPete Re: New Brighton Marine Lake - 29th Apr 2013 2:21pm
West Kirby Marine Lake was paid for by West Kirby ratepayers before WW2, but in 1974 boundary changes gave Wirral Metroplitan Council control of the lake. The lake was originally built for swimmers, and up to Wirral Council taking charge a section of the lake was roped off for swimmers. My dad used to take me when I were a tadpole. Wirral MBC don't figure in my Christmas card list.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral