Forums
Posted By: Santos Lantern parade New Brighton - Saturday 8.12.12 - 9th Dec 2012 11:05am
Did anyone go to that event ? I did, got cold, wet and completely and utterly fed up. Never seen such a load of xxxx in all my life. A parade which you had to have a pair of binoculars to see on the far side of Marine Lake, loud music which deafened you and there was no need for,stewards who did not even know what day it was, never mind what was going on and some clowns going round with walky talkies who, when you asked them something, they waved you away because they were to busy playing with their radios and trying to look important. Fireworks if you can call it that, a couple of bangs and flashes and a few noise which sounded very much like muffled f..ts. I am glad it was free as I would have been even further annoyed if I had to pay, but and this is the big but, how much did our cash strapped Council pay for such a debacle and waste of money, thats what I want to know. I am sure the money spent would have been better spent on looking after the towns vulnerable people than funding such a crxxpy so called street theatre.
Posted By: rocks Re: Lantern parade New Brighton - Saturday 8.12.12 - 9th Dec 2012 11:32am
i was there with other wiki members and also took my 4yr old grandson, we were all frozen and had more fun in the arcade smile
Posted By: petzl Re: Lantern parade New Brighton - Saturday 8.12.12 - 9th Dec 2012 11:35am
made me smile reading about this. Im so glad i didnt go now. grin
I went also with wiki members and daugther and two grandson,s ,it was cold and wet , i agree with Santos about it being far away to see proper , and no-one seemed to know , what was happening!!!
I failed to understand what it all represented!!!
Glad we did,nt pay!! did enjoy me chips!!!
I think the money could have been spent for something much better. Also, street theatre on a December evening??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lantern parade New Brighton - Saturday 8.12.12 - 9th Dec 2012 4:10pm
Can't beat how we use to do it -

http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/News_Lantern_Parade_At_Wallasey_1896/index.html
I took my 11 yr old daughter and, even though it was freezing cold and wet, I thought we would be in for a real treat with a spectacular light parade. How disappointing it was!! What a waste of time.
Originally Posted by alidoodle
I took my 11 yr old daughter and, even though it was freezing cold and wet, I thought we would be in for a real treat with a spectacular light parade. How disappointing it was!! What a waste of time.
To my knowledge it was the council that was putting this show on.
Well if it is ,Its stupid putting it on at this time of year.Be more beneficial in the summer when schools are on holiday.
correct me if am wrong but,if it is the council who put this event on.What happened to the cuts????the lantern show would cost a fair bit of cash.
it cost 14000.00 to put on that lantern show , the council got ripped off. it will be all over the local papers what a triumph it was when in actual fact it was awful.i went rushing up the stairs when i heard the first firework (by this point i had abandonded the waiting on the prom for something good to happen) and by the time i got to the window the were over. very very disapointing after the hype
It was, to be honest, rubbish!! I wrote on another thread last night, that I thought it was shit.

I did also think that perhaps my judgement was a bit harsh and once thawed out, feel differant.

Well, I don't.

We got there for 4pm in anticipation of huge crowds. Nothing. We thought it had been cancelled!!!

The carnival procession was too far away to view, we had no idea of the 'route'. Did not understand the 'story' of the commentary.

Did not stay for the Finale, heard about 6 piss poor bangs though.

Fuming, that it cost the Council £140 000. Disgusting.

Think I will turn up at the Rally wearing a fish head and waving a paper lantern!!
Yes, the chips n curry were nice. Better than Plusones frozen oven chips from the other chippy, that he went to...
glad Ididn't go seems like a waste of time & cash
© Wirral-Wikiwirral