Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 10:16am
[Linked Image]

This is one of my favourite photos of all time. It's a famous one, I think from Time magazine. It's a young Afghan girl from the eighties.

I can just see the mods racing to bury this photo...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 10:35am
Originally Posted by pablo42
[Linked Image]

I can't see why, unless your last unnecessary sentence provokes a response that turns into a load of name-calling
It is a beautiful picture
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 10:41am
It just seems the photos disappear down a black hole somewhere. No problem with that, just wish they'd do it after a couple of days to give folk who aint seen these photos a chance to see them. I'd like to think that there are young kids seeing these photos and they might, just might develop a liking of their history.

Ha, who am I kidding...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 10:51am
Can I suggest you you click on my stuff(yours) and look at your posts and make a list of which pictures have disappeared and pm Mark (who may be unaware that they've gone) and he will look into it and tell you why.
Please keep posting your pics. there have been some really good ones.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 11:30am
Bloody disheartening when they go so fast
Posted By: Dilly Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 11:58am
Beautiful picture indeed. Keep posting.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 12:12pm
It just seems the photos disappear down a black hole somewhere. No problem with that, just wish they'd do it after a couple of days to give folk who aint seen these photos a chance to see them. I'd like to think that there are young kids seeing these photos and they might, just might develop a liking of their history.

Ha, who am I kidding...

I think you will find that they are not 'disappearing', just being sorted into the correct running threads. Each time one is moved a pointer (black arrow on the left of the post) remains for ten days which takes you to the new location of the picture

Posted By: sunnyside Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 12:31pm
brill pic very haunting i think,
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 12:32pm
please don't stop your great pics , what a loss to the site that would be .
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 12:45pm
I stopped posting them a few times now cos they were going so fast. I want to encourage the younger folk to see them
Posted By: cathie Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:16pm
I love the old pics of Wirral, the latest one's of New Brighton are fascinating, especially seeing where the pier and ferry used to be :0)
Posted By: granny Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:29pm
'That' picture above Pablo is beautiful. Stunningly beautiful.

Have you got her on your wall somewhere?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:34pm
[Linked Image]

This is one of my favourite photos of all time. It's a famous one, I think from Time magazine. It's a young Afghan girl from the eighties.

Mods don't remove photos.
Click
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:37pm
Originally Posted by granny

No, I seen it, in I'm sure it was Time magazine. It won loads of awards. I was in Afghanistan in the eighties and it always reminded me of that time
Posted By: granny Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:39pm
Originally Posted by granny

No, I seen it, in I'm sure it was Time magazine. It won loads of awards. I was in Afghanistan in the eighties and it always reminded me of that time

In that case you should have her on your wall smile
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 1:58pm
They found the girl in this picture not so long ago and used eye technology to prove it was her, the change in her was amazing would be good if somebody could upload the new picture.
Posted By: rocks Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 2:05pm
i remember a tv program who went back to Afghanistan to find this girl and im sure they did
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 3:43pm
Just found this Pablo.It was on the cover of Nationan Geographic. Here's a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl
Sharbat Gula (Pashto: شربت ګله) (pronounced [ˈʃaɾbat]) (born ca. 1972) is an Afghan woman who was the subject of a famous photograph by journalist Steve McCurry. Gula was living as a refugee in Pakistan during the time of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan when she was photographed. The image brought her recognition when it was featured on the cover of the June 1985 issue of National Geographic Magazine at a time when she was approximately 12 years old. Gula was known throughout the world simply as "the Afghan Girl" until she was formally identified in early 2002. The photograph has been likened to Leonardo da Vinci's painting of the Mona Lisa[1][2] and is sometimes popularly referred to as "the Afghan Mona Lisa".[
Posted By: Stingray Re: Outstanding Photos - 10th Jul 2012 4:52pm
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2002/04/afghan-girl/index-text
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Outstanding Photos - 16th Jul 2012 11:07pm
Nice one Stingray. Just glad she's still alive
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Outstanding Photos - 17th Jul 2012 12:27am
she certainly looks older than 29 or 30 as claimed in the article
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Outstanding Photos - 17th Jul 2012 12:54pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

sunset around moreton !!!

just liked the sky and contrasts myself and just happened to have an old camera with me !!

not quite an afghan girl but i like them ..

© Wirral-Wikiwirral