Forums
Posted By: rrussell1966 Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 5:33pm
I've entered myself into the Liverpool Marathon in October !! I've NEVER ran a marathon before and was wondering if anybody on here has? what sort of training would you recomend? foods to eat the day/week before etc? any info greatly appreciated. Thanks
Russell
Posted By: Salmon Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 6:12pm
Some good advice here, not to be undertaken lightly and start gently depending on how much running you currently do.Good Luck

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/training-centre/training-advice/training-plans/
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 6:41pm
were to begin, firstly its going to be a shock to your system presuming you havent run before or for a while.

eating advice i got was breakfast for a king, lunch for a prince and tea for a pauper, couple that with no carbs after 2pm, oh and dont foret plenty of veg where you can plus loads of nuts and plenty of fluids, i find drinking cordial helps the fluid go in (can never drink as much water as i can if their is cordial in it)before running and especially after make sure your piss colourless, like water from a hose pipe

footwear is next, find out what your foot type is and what shoe you need ie if its full/half cushioned, motion control and i cant remember what type the other is, anyway a good running shop will help with this or a physio, runners in new ferry used to offer an assessment for free if you bought a pair of trainers, best not go to jjb because they wont have a clue.

i wont bable on about training as i dont know what you have done, let me know and i can put my 10 pence worth in
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 7:09pm
I don't intend running a marathon but quite fancy the idea of running to get fit.
My problem is I need to lose about 3 stones and find after about 3-4 mins I'm knackered, disheartened and give up ...... any ideas to help motivate myself ?? (apart from the obvious - losing weight) smile
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 7:14pm
thats just fitness, more you run the longer you will be able to go for and results show pretty quick, try cutting carbs out completely after 2pm, see if that has any affect for your weight. as for motivation, maybe a training partner so you can spur each other on
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 7:34pm
Thanks dave_h... Just probably need a good kick up the arse !!! smile
But reckon I'll give it a go smile
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 7:39pm
ill take you for a run and gladly give you that kick hahaha
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 7:44pm
Haha .... wouldn't be that hard to catch ..... or spot !!!!
best not go too near the beach ... Tidal wave ^_^
Posted By: DavidB Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:02pm
Best training is start by walking. Do 5 - 10 miles a night, you'll be amazed how much weight you lose after a month every night. Lose the weight and it'll be much easier.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:08pm
OMG ... 5-10 MILES a night !!!! Sure you don't mean 5-10 mins .... sounds like an awful lot to start off with frown
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:19pm
Originally Posted by Sneezy
OMG ... 5-10 MILES a night !!!! Sure you don't mean 5-10 mins .... sounds like an awful lot to start off with frown

far too excessive, start small, i know what im talking about
Posted By: DavidB Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:22pm
So do I btw. 5 miles is an hours walking. Starting out running is excessive if you haven't done for a while and will prepare your joints and feet for the upcoming punishment.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:24pm
Thanks dave_h.... DavidB just nearly gave me a heart attack !!! Haha
Deffo getting in the mood to try it now though ^_^
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 10th Apr 2012 8:27pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
So do I btw. 5 miles is an hours walking. Starting out running is excessive if you haven't done for a while and will prepare your joints and feet for the upcoming punishment.

obviously you do telling someone to run 5-10 miles a night
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 1:28am
Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

Slow and steady build up is the main aim for fitness.

People rush in and exert themselves straight away and the mind thinks "sod that, arsed with it am not doing it"

Couple the running with other fitness related tasks, running up the stairs etc.

For food a high carb intake the night prior to the run (tuna pasta salad @ 8pm) early night.

For mid run some of the gels work great, Science In Sport (tropical flavour) availible from Chain Reaction Cycles are a good way for an instant energy boost. I only advise these when you are exerting yourself to your limit plus only when your at a level of fitness where you can keep the heart rate up.

I am in the process of starting running as I would like to try a Triathlon in 2013 and I have a year to train and lose the last 1.5 stone.

Posted By: Sneezy Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 2:46pm
Thank You all so much for the advice....especially MrPhil for taking the time to do me an 8 week routine !!... Got no excuse now not to get started ^_^ x
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 6:05pm
dont forget some tape for over your nipples whilst doing the marathon too sick

and no not messin either it really hurts if you dont grin

good luck anyway
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 7:07pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

Slow and steady build up is the main aim for fitness.

People rush in and exert themselves straight away and the mind thinks "sod that, arsed with it am not doing it"

Couple the running with other fitness related tasks, running up the stairs etc.

For food a high carb intake the night prior to the run (tuna pasta salad @ 8pm) early night.

For mid run some of the gels work great, Science In Sport (tropical flavour) availible from Chain Reaction Cycles are a good way for an instant energy boost. I only advise these when you are exerting yourself to your limit plus only when your at a level of fitness where you can keep the heart rate up.

I am in the process of starting running as I would like to try a Triathlon in 2013 and I have a year to train and lose the last 1.5 stone.

if you are going to use gels during exercise, make sure there is fuel in the tank being digested ie something like bannas because you will crash and burn, i dont use them myself, after i crashed and burned trying to be a smart arse using it one time.

i wouldnt eat @8pm, again your metabolism slows down at night and it will only be stored, remember if your eating more calories than you are using it will be stored as fat, and if your eating as much as your using you wont lose weight, use those carbs you got stored as fat, be hard to start with but your body will adapt,
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 7:20pm
Should of explained it abot better with regards to the pasta, that would be a night before the marathon
Due to my size I try to eat a banana before a ride (take 2 if over 50 miles)
1 gel only when fatigue is kicking in.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Marathon running - 11th Apr 2012 7:23pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Should of explained it abot better with regards to the pasta, that would be a night before the marathon
Due to my size I try to eat a banana before a ride (take 2 if over 50 miles)
1 gel only when fatigue is kicking in.

yeah roger, i remember before commando tests, troop officer kept going on about big eats commando, spend the week loading up and that was your fuel for the following test week, else you would flake out, same with marathon
© Wirral-Wikiwirral