Forums
Looking at the moon, noticed 2 very bright objects close by. Thought maybe a satellite or something breaking up. Looked on Google, turns out its Venus and Jupiter.

In case you havent seen/dont know, if you look at the moon, then up and left a bit at the bright object, thats venus. Up and left again to the other bright object, thats Jupiter. Apparently Mercury can be seen as well, but thats on the horizon.

Im sure lots of people know already, was nice for me anyway wink

Found this,
[Linked Image]
Excellent view from my window thanks for the info smile
just looked myself.
nice one for that mate.
just told my bro.
hes getting his big telescope out!
Got my sons telescope out, but its not very powerful, nor easy to do tiny adjustments on.
Yeah nice, one it looks just like the diagram looking out from my window ..many thanks
Its a beautiful sight!
Good post thumbsup
Very smart smile
Apparently it will be happening tomorrow and sunday too. Nice for those that miss it tonight.
Following on behind is Orion easily spotted because of the three stars {Ori (Alnitak), ε Ori (Alnilam), and δ Ori (Mintaka)} that form the belt look as though they have been placed perfectly in a straight line.
You can also see Mars tonight, looking east. Orion is in the south now, Use that as a reference point. If your awake around 2am, you will see saturn roughly in the same position, maybe just a little lower in the sky. The same again tomorrow. So that's Venus, Jupiter, Moon, Mars & Saturn in one night. I'l be getting my telescope out for that!!
Oh yeah, & mercury just after sunset in the west.
You should also be able to see the ISS passing between Jupiter and Venus this week too. I've seen it twice this week. It looks like a bright, fast moving star. It comes in from the right and passes inbetween them. For timings, check google (or any other search engine). You should also be able to see the Great Red Spot on Jupiter round about now actually. It will also be visible on 26th Feb at 23:12 and 29th Feb at 20:43.

Tomorrow night, just after sunset (approx 18:00) look out for the "earthshine" illuminating the "dark side" of the Moon - often called the "old Moon in the new Moon's arms".

If you do manage to spot the ISS, don't forget to hi as I'm reliably informed that they wave as they pass over land smile
Hi i am looking east at the moment i can see a star/planet solo wich does not to appear white more orange in colour can this be mars all this is very exiting.
It was a beautiful sight.

This website has a diary of what can be seen in the next few days for those intrested.
http://earthsky.org/tonight
I have a computer program on my laptop called stellarium.It's free to download- just search it. Once you have entered your location (settings are at bottom left of screen, or press F4 & F6 to setup, then press A), it will show you almost anything you can see in the sky at any given time for the next 97,000 yrs. Planets, constellations, nebulas & satellites. A must have for any stargazer. The open university also provide a similar program (planisphere) that you don't need to download.

www.stellarium.org
ISS will be passing over from west to east. If you get to watch the sunset this evening at 5:41pm, wait 10 mins & it will appear where the sun sets. 5:50pm till 6pm. 10 minutes & then it's gone again, dissapearing in the east.
Originally Posted by gingevans
ISS will be passing over from west to east. If you get to watch the sunset this evening at 5:41pm, wait 10 mins & it will appear where the sun sets. 5:50pm till 6pm. 10 minutes & then it's gone again, dissapearing in the east.

lets hope the sky clears again this afternoon for it… i'm a newby to the wirral, any suggestions wheres the best place to go and see/photograph the sunset? i usually go west kirby way but a new location would be great :-)
Thanks Gingevans,for the stellarium.org link at least i can now identify what i am looking at smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nice naked-eye view of Venus and Jupiter tonight - 25th Feb 2012 12:14pm
A handy site giving the ISS data/times.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Well worth a look!
Thanks,Pinzgauer will get on that now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nice naked-eye view of Venus and Jupiter tonight - 25th Feb 2012 2:17pm
I've entered lat. & long. co-ordinates for mid Wirral. (It ain't that vital to be spot on). If you open this page, it should give you all the info.

http://www.heavens-above.com/?lat=53.36858&lng=-3.0542&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=GMT

All you need is a clear sky tonight!
Thanks again Pinzgauer,tracking it now my that thing fast.
ISS approaching england now but its to cloudy
So weird- On Monday I saw a UFO- however, from what you guys are saying is was the ISS- exactly how you describe- coming in from the right at breakneck speed if you compare it to the speed of a jet- looks just like a star. Oh well a bit disappointed! This led me to thinking that the star formation last night which you guys have also mentioned was something to do with that UFO- well all I can say is I am disappointed again!
Purple22, bit late for tonight, but some places I've done sunset photography include New Brighton, Moreton shore and Thurstaston, all worth a shoot. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral