Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 7:56pm
Hi, we have just been in the 'Chat Room' talking about caravans and camping. Thought that it would be good to hear Wiki peeps experiences and recommended sites.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:00pm
What happened at Gywrch stays at Gywrch wink raftl
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:05pm
Aww, go on Rude spill!
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Posted By: julie253 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:07pm
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill. The shower block is great - so nice and warm and clean. It also has a restaurant and shops on site and also its own brewery!! the record shop was good and I spent ages looking through the oldies. The antique shops were brill - we were in there for hours looking at stuff and had a laugh. There is a candle shop which is owned and run by Bob Carolgees - nice bloke. The pitches are all a generous size and reasonably priced. Defo going back there this year!!!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:09pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
lol Remember it well grin
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:11pm
Is the brewery on the 'site' Julie? Sounds a great place and only down the road.
Originally Posted by julie253
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill. The shower block is great - so nice and warm and clean. It also has a restaurant and shops on site and also its own brewery!! the record shop was good and I spent ages looking through the oldies. The antique shops were brill - we were in there for hours looking at stuff and had a laugh. There is a candle shop which is owned and run by Bob Carolgees - nice bloke. The pitches are all a generous size and reasonably priced. Defo going back there this year!!!!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:14pm
All my camping "memories" are good - because it was FAMILY together.

We have not been camping for a couple of years with other family committments but we intend to make sure we go this year. With the family grown up/ away it will just be the Mrs and me.

FIRST choice is always Shell Island (Mochras) about 4 miles South of Harlech / 8 miles North of Barmouth. I have been going there for . . . (works it out) near 40 years. In the early days it was really just rough camping on a huge site (approx 1 mile x 1/2 mile) but now they have all sorts of facilities IF you want them. Generally we do not want the facilities because we try to camp self-contained, and the place is still big enough to be able to do that.

I have a sneaking ambition to reorganise the camping kit to an absolute minimum and to try camping using the motorbike as transport rather than car. Difficult, but possible if we eat out a lot.

Snod
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:18pm
Originally Posted by julie253
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill.

have they still got the animal crematorium there?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:21pm
Does it get cut off by the tide there Snod?
Originally Posted by Snodvan

We have not been camping for a couple of years with other family committments but we intend to make sure we go this year. With the family grown up/ away it will just be the Mrs and me.

FIRST choice is always Shell Island (Mochras) about 4 miles South of Harlech / 8 miles North of Barmouth. I have been going there for . . . (works it out) near 40 years. In the early days it was really just rough camping on a huge site (approx 1 mile x 1/2 mile) but now they have all sorts of facilities IF you want them. Generally we do not want the facilities because we try to camp self-contained, and the place is still big enough to be able to do that.

I have a sneaking ambition to reorganise the camping kit to an absolute minimum and to try camping using the motorbike as transport rather than car. Difficult, but possible if we eat out a lot.

Snod
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:29pm
As Snod,says only great memories,been around europe touring a few times,but scotland is my favourite,wild camping/motorhome at the side of lochs with beautiful mountains,only downfall are the pesky midges!!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 8:51pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate

Snod

Bezzy

Very rare that the "island" (actually a peninsular) is cut off for more than an hour or so at very high tides. Some 15 years ago they had some Euromoney, raised the height of the causeway and put big diameter drains below to take away a lot of the water from the upper part of the estuary. Mind you I have seen a few impatient pratts drive through 6" of sea water just so they could get on/ off when it suited them. A couple of years ago one of them totally underestimated the strength of a few inches of high tide flow across the causeway (or he missed and drove off the edge) - - and he ended up with his car floating away. It was there for months rusting away.

Snod

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:05pm
Similar to pp. Wild camping or in the winter (August-June up here) I go to various bothies. Simple basic shelters. Usually in the most remote spots. Not bothered about showers, toilet blocks, camp shops etc. A quick wash in the burn after taking the spade for a walk! Peace perfect peace.

As you say pp, the midges can send you crazy. I wear a midge veil which keeps the little buggers off your face - but they get in elsewhere!!

Off to a bothy in a forest this Sunday/Monday and will wave two fingers to "civilisation" !!

Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:15pm
Thanks for the info there Snod.

Snod

Bezzy

Very rare that the "island" (actually a peninsular) is cut off for more than an hour or so at very high tides. Some 15 years ago they had some Euromoney, raised the height of the causeway and put big diameter drains below to take away a lot of the water from the upper part of the estuary. Mind you I have seen a few impatient pratts drive through 6" of sea water just so they could get on/ off when it suited them. A couple of years ago one of them totally underestimated the strength of a few inches of high tide flow across the causeway (or he missed and drove off the edge) - - and he ended up with his car floating away. It was there for months rusting away.

Snod

Posted By: Wench Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:19pm
Most, if not all, of my camping memories have involved Biker Rallies so memories are rather hazy doh I do love camping though.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:21pm
Does SNATCH mean anything to you Wench?
Originally Posted by Wench
Most, if not all, of my camping memories have involved Biker Rallies so memories are rather hazy doh I do love camping though.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:34pm
Went on a camping trip to Loch Lomond, was wonerfull scenery and walks,wild life.went to other lakes i could swim in as well!
Just one downfall, ended up waking up with my sleeping bag wet and halfway out the tent with the rain pouring on me.
Posted By: Wench Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:36pm
Does SNATCH mean anything to you Wench?
Originally Posted by Wench

It does indeed grin As does Perverts in Leather raftl
Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 9:39pm
so your pretty close to us then snodvan we r at Dolgellau bout 10 mles from Barmouth
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:07pm
we camp near dolgellau at a site in bonddhu, its a lovely place with the cader idris directly across the estuary
Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:13pm
dunno where that 1 is Jabber but have seen the signs for cader idris
the place we are at is very basic elctric/water taps/toilet and shower block and a stream o and eggs from the farm all for less than £800 a yr winter storage included
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:25pm
We went around Europe on the motorbike last Summer, great time and we did loads of amazing sight seeing but in the April we'd camped down south in the UK in Exeter to try out all our camping gear, tent etc..... my overwhelming memory of that night is waking up to go for a wee about 4am, unzipping the tent and a big glob of ice falling down around me oshocked needless to say we got a better tent before we went for the trip abroad to be on the safe side!!
Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:38pm
raftl at gemgem87 bet that ice woke you up
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:41pm
Bloody did too reddragon, scared the life out of me when it fell!!
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 10:43pm
Abersoch in Wales is another lovely place to camp as well, been a couple of times for a few days in Summer and it's beautiful with really clean beaches. Sounds cliched I know, but catch it on a good hot day and it is just like being abroard
Posted By: dave_h Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:06pm
paying flaming arseholes round the tent!
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:14pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
paying flaming arseholes round the tent!

Do you mean "playing"??? Lol! smile
Posted By: dave_h Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:21pm
of corse
Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:38pm
does that mean you don't do camping or caravanning dave h
Posted By: dave_h Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:57pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
does that mean you don't do camping or caravanning dave h

no it means i have fond memories of playing flaming arseholes whilst 'camping'
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 13th Jan 2012 11:59pm
Flaming arseholes.... the game were you light your trumps, if I'm correct???
Posted By: dave_h Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 14th Jan 2012 12:02am
no
Posted By: gemgem87 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 14th Jan 2012 12:04am
Lol, fair do's! I'm not familiar with it then
Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 14th Jan 2012 12:09am
is it this

dance of the flaming arseholes 36 up, 6 down
An amusing (for the onlookers) waddle between two arbitrary points while bent over with your pants around your ankles and a lit rolled up piece of newspaper wedged up your arse.

Commonly performed by both the military and football clubs, it's an experience that both onlookers and participants will never forget.

Here's how it goes....

You light a rolled up tube of newspaper and stick it between your buttocks while bent over with your pants around your ankles. Then you have to shuffle from the start line to the finish line without dropping the "Torch".

If you drop the torch you're up shit creek and will suffer a penalty ranging from having to start over to getting doused with beer before having to start over again.

Typically it's like a right of baptism that everyone in a team or group will participate in to both gain acceptance and strengthen ties by the age old addage of shared absurdity....

Or was it adversity....

Fooked if I know, pass me another beer and light my torch, will ya?!?

Saw the new 23rd regiment going the "Dance of the Flaming Arseholes" last night at the local.... Some of them were a bit slow, there's a few boys who won't need to wax this week if you get my meaning!!

Posted By: reddragon Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 14th Jan 2012 12:10am
Is it this

dance of the flaming arseholes An amusing (for the onlookers) waddle between two arbitrary points while bent over with your pants around your ankles and a lit rolled up piece of newspaper wedged up your arse.

Commonly performed by both the military and football clubs, it's an experience that both onlookers and participants will never forget.

Here's how it goes....

You light a rolled up tube of newspaper and stick it between your buttocks while bent over with your pants around your ankles. Then you have to shuffle from the start line to the finish line without dropping the "Torch".

If you drop the torch you're up shit creek and will suffer a penalty ranging from having to start over to getting doused with beer before having to start over again.

Typically it's like a right of baptism that everyone in a team or group will participate in to both gain acceptance and strengthen ties by the age old addage of shared absurdity....

Or was it adversity....

Fooked if I know, pass me another beer and light my torch, will ya?!?

Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. - 25th Feb 2012 7:05pm
You are right- I am in my 30s now and used to do weekends there in summer with my mates. It is like being abroad when sunny there with the wake festival and all- I don't have a beach body but most of the people on the beach look the part with their surfing etc lol.
Good times there- remember the guy who had the site had a lovely family orientated one and then 'the top field' that is where he put groups of lads like us lol.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral