Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Black Ducks - 23rd Aug 2011 11:17am
think I've identified a clutch of 5 black ducks in the park as East Indies Black Ducks. If anyone has any info would appreciate it. Someone must've dumped them there because they have suddenly appeared, or at least I haven't seen them before. The Indian Runners look like they've gone, they don't fly so someone might 've had them. It looks like they might have left a couple of half breeds knocking about though, hard to tell.

learn
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Black Ducks - 23rd Aug 2011 11:23am
I have not seen any Runners for ages Bandy frown
Nor have I seen these Black ducks!
I will have to go and have a nose... or is it a beak... ?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Black Ducks - 23rd Aug 2011 11:24am
So long as you don't send me the bill phil.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Black Ducks - 23rd Aug 2011 11:26am
smack

(The very reliable...) Wikipedia says...

The East Indies is an ornamental breed of domestic duck. Despite the breed's name, it was not developed in Southeast Asia, but rather in the United States in the 19th century. Sometimes called the Black East Indies, it is best known for its striking appearance: very dark, lustrous green plumage and black bills. Females may sometimes develop white feathers as they age. A bantam breed weighing around 1-2 pounds (453-907 grams), East Indies are largely kept by fanciers for exhibition purposes. Being small in size, they are relatively good fliers. Admitted to American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection in 1874, East Indies are popular among breeders. They are generally shyer and quieter than Call Ducks.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Black Ducks - 23rd Aug 2011 11:33am
ha, ha, suppose they could've flown in. They weren't quiet when getting stuck into the butties that people were chucking in. Just that those are the only descriptions that fit. Time will tell.
Posted By: spider Re: Black Ducks - 24th Aug 2011 10:09pm
Stop flappin Bandy and get a life...lol..See you at the weekend for the Liverpool outing,let the party begin..yipeeeeeee
© Wirral-Wikiwirral