Forums
Posted By: polo_phil Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 3:47pm
Anyone do it? joyride

Don't really know of anywhere on Wirral - would love to find some places locally.

Lots of places in Wales not been anywhere too challenging yet though as I wouldn't do it without a small group with tow ropes/winches!

Before anyone shouts at me for 'killing the planet' ...I walk to work shifty
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 3:54pm
not done it yet but was going to have a go in my beach buggy
Posted By: benjm Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:14pm
I want to take my Landy green laning but too scared of breaking it! tease I've often thought of creating an urban offroading course on the wirral. There's loads of bad and un adopted dirt tracks/roads especially around Burton up to Heswall. 1/10 on the challenging scale but a fun thing to do on a summer's night

Posted By: polo_phil Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:26pm
thumbsup

If you find any good routes let me know and I'll check them out or join you!

I'm more concerned about accidentally going on someones land and getting shot at!
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:30pm
Thats what bothers me farmers and shotguns and getting stuck

i can't think of anywhere around here
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:31pm
Getting stuck is why you need to go in a group smile

Also someone with knowledge of a route to navigate around without being shot at!
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:49pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
Anyone do it? joyride

Don't really know of anywhere on Wirral - would love to find some places locally.

Lots of places in Wales not been anywhere too challenging yet though as I wouldn't do it without a small group with tow ropes/winches!

Greenlaners have got to be the most selfish little boys ever to bugger up the countryside for ordinary people i.e. ramblers, cyclists and families out for a stroll.Do everyone a favour and find some other way to get your little man macho jollies.And as for walking to work-whoopy doo.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 4:55pm
Excuse me but we are not all little boys i'm a grown up lady,who yes enjoys the countryside not all of us bugger it up

anyway the land is for every one,there's enough space for all of us to enjoy

green lanes are for vehicles
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:02pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Excuse me but we are not all little boys i'm a grown up lady,who yes enjoys the countryside not all of us bugger it up

anyway the land is for every one,there's enough space for all of us to enjoy

green lanes are for vehicles
Wrong!! Greenlaning is usually carried out on unpaved public highways,try using that argument when you wipe out a family you meet coming the other way.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:03pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Greenlaners have got to be the most selfish little boys ever to bugger up the countryside for ordinary people i.e. ramblers, cyclists and families out for a stroll.Do everyone a favour and find some other way to get your little man macho jollies.And as for walking to work-whoopy doo.

Greenlaning is using public roads designated for vehicles, its not off-roading. There are plenty of footpaths for walkers, in fact far more than there are greenlanes.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:09pm
Get yourself a Landranger OS Map and have a go at the "whites" wink

They are roads, and marked as such, but they can vary from tarmaced lanes with a little grass in the middle, to muddy tracks lol

We find quite a few when out doing night rallys - we try and avoid the whites in cars, but they should be easily passable in a 4x4 smile
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:11pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Greenlaning is using public roads designated for vehicles, its not off-roading. There are plenty of footpaths for walkers, in fact far more than there are greenlanes.
Very true DD,but my point is,the last thing you want to encounter whilst out for a stroll is a bunch of petrolheads in 4x4's hurtling towards you.If they must do it let us ensure that there is a separation between flesh and metal.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:19pm
Considering the number of greenlanes, I doubt if there is much of a problem. I've nearly been wiped out by farm vehicles and cyclists many a time but never had the pleasure of painting a 4X4 with my blood.

Edit: And police cars grrr
Posted By: benjm Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 5:20pm
[/quote]Greenlaners have got to be the most selfish little boys ever to bugger up the countryside for ordinary people i.e. ramblers, cyclists and families out for a stroll.Do everyone a favour and find some other way to get your little man macho jollies.And as for walking to work-whoopy doo. [/quote]

I'll go and tell Farmers/ Mountain rescue / Park Rangers that they have to walk up mountains! wink

99% of paths are for Hikers and the remaining 1% are for mostly Farmers and people that need to drive 4x4s offroad for their jobs. Fixing Electricity pylons, geologists etc. So what if a few city boys join in the fun? it's impossible to get above 5mph anyway!
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 6:27pm
Originally Posted by benjm
[/quote]Greenlaners have got to be the most selfish little boys ever to bugger up the countryside for ordinary people i.e. ramblers, cyclists and families out for a stroll.Do everyone a favour and find some other way to get your little man macho jollies.And as for walking to work-whoopy doo.

I'll go and tell Farmers/ Mountain rescue / Park Rangers that they have to walk up mountains! wink

99% of paths are for Hikers and the remaining 1% are for mostly Farmers and people that need to drive 4x4s offroad for their jobs. Fixing Electricity pylons, geologists etc. So what if a few city boys join in the fun? it's impossible to get above 5mph anyway! [/quote]Farmers,mountain rescue etc. are doing a necessary and worthwhile job,Thrillseekers in 4x4's are not.
Posted By: benjm Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 6:43pm
The majority of us drive slow and stick to the rules and have a minimal impact on the roads we use. Unfortunately it's the minority of 4x4s who tear across fields and paths that gives everyone a bad name.
Posted By: Wench Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 11:15pm

Ramblers and cyclist have many many more routes than green laners. The routes that are used are designated as BOATs - Byway open to all traffic. The likes of cyclists (who are sometimes worse than car drivers but that's a whole other thread!) and ramblers have the choice of footpaths and bridleways along with the BOATs. There was a time when people were moaning because horse riders were using bridleways (the clue is in the name BRIDLEways).

Some of the lanes that are used would benefit from some extra use, otherwise they will become overgrown and lost to horse riders and walkers alike.

As for "ordinary people" - even those who go green laning are ordinary people, men and women! Families out for a stroll sometimes do my head in as I have to listen to the "little darlings" shouting, screaming, whining and crying, not to mention dropping shit loads of litter but I don't go round telling them to go and find some other way to get their family jollies. FFS, what happened to give and take?

I guess it just gives some people something else to moan about smack
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Greenlaning - 9th Mar 2011 11:36pm
well said j x
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Greenlaning - 10th Mar 2011 8:45am
Originally Posted by polo_phil
Anyone do it? joyride

well how rude...

What way do you suggest I get my little man macho jollies?... Murder? Mugging people on the street?
All I want to do is drive on a road with a few slopes and some uneven surface... I'm not planning on ploughing through fields at 60 mph mowing down everything that gets in my way...

and as for little man I'm 6ft 2 wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral