Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 5:24pm
Have a piece of furniture I want to sand down to get rid of marks and scratches. Unfortunately it was waxed at one time and has since been stained. Needless to say the stain has not taken very well on top of the wax except where there are scratches.

Tried power sanding but sandpaper clogs up way too fast with the wax.

Any ideas for cheapest way of getting rid of the wax so I sand it smooth again.

I think wet and dry will clog with wax, possibly use wire wool? or a solvent?

Any advice before I get a blow-lamp to it, ta
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 5:29pm
Paint stripper is too dear and messy, I don't know how effective it is on wax.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 5:44pm
Paint thinners will remove the wax, or a bit more expensive is furniture restorer, If using paint thinner, wash thoroughly after use, though it won't be that necessary if sanding.
If you use furniture restorer, wash immediately because the dirt and wax settles again almost immediately.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 5:54pm
Just found a bottle of White Spirits, I think that dissolves was being a petroleum product.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 6:34pm
Don't French Polisher's use meths and wire wool to strip the gunge off wood prior to re-staining. Meths should be a solvent for waxy stuff. Bert's suggestion of thinners will shift it. Plenty of ventilation though AND put that fag out !!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 6:36pm
Cheers all, meths and wire wool was what I was trying to think of, but White Spirits and plastic brillo pad is shifting it at no cost happy
Posted By: bert1 Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 6:47pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Don't French Polisher's use meths and wire wool to strip the gunge off wood prior to re-staining. Meths should be a solvent for waxy stuff. Bert's suggestion of thinners will shift it. Plenty of ventilation though AND put that fag out !!!!

I've known a few French Polishers in my time and was very undecided on whether they cleaned the timber with Meths or just drank it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 8:05pm
Drinking meths ?? Must be desperate to do that. I much prefer filtering Brasso through a slice of bread. Now THAT'S got a kick ! You can then breathe on any polished surface. Brings it off like Nitromors !!!! (hic)

Don't try this at home kiddies !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help waxed/stained pine - 1st Mar 2011 9:16pm
Right, next problem, how do I get rid of the smell of white spirits lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral