Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Byrne Avenue Baths - 10th Feb 2011 10:21am
[Linked Image]

I go past the old baths everyday as I come into work on the 410 and I am starting to see the building beginning to deteriorate rapidly. What is the future? I have posted a few links looking at the timeline the of Byrne Ave. Baths. Thoughts are welcomed.

April, 2008, Pool Plunges Into Doubt, Wirral Globe

Feb, 2009, Pool Closes, Wirral Globe

Jan, 2009, Baths Could Re-open, Liverpool Echo

August, 2010, Baths Could Re-open, Liverpool Echo

Nov, 2010, Bids Not Adequate, Wirral News
Posted By: davew3 Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 10th Feb 2011 4:58pm
Went past it yesterday,it's looking rough,shame,they seem to have money for street furniture and speed limits though ,Whitehouse lane Barnston they as changing the speed limit for the single road from 60mph to what looks like 50mph, after the Woodchurch junction change,my thoughts for the town council is low and I now believe now that another MP has gone to clink maybe more should follow.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 10th Feb 2011 7:20pm
I too travel past Byrne Ave Baths every day to work in Wallasey. I was only saying the other day to my good friend Crocodile Dundee, do we know what is happening their lately. As it is looking pretty run down. Oneday going past I saw one of the gates open and a wooden door which had been ripped off, just lying on the floor.

I remember going there with Beddy Drive school for swimming lessons. They had us all lined up in our pjs and would get us to jump in the deep end after this blsck brick..

I had my swimming goggles nicked from me there once aswell..

Happy days..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 10th Feb 2011 10:27pm
Strange how this only came up the other day.
I remember competing in the scouts swimming gala here when I was 11 in the 5th Birkenhead, lost, obviously. It is a shame criminal the way WBC neglect everything that matters to the people of Wirral!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 10th Feb 2011 11:12pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
I remember competing in the scouts swimming gala here when I was 11

I also competed in scouts swimming there, 3rd man in relay and we had got a bit behind - almost drowned as I went flat-out, no time for breathing time. Took me about 20 minutes to recover.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Feb 2011 12:11am
The doggie paddle doesn't work when you're in a race! Unless you are the worlds fastest doggie paddler!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 8:42am
Plans to reopen

Source
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 8:57am
Always gave me the creeps when I was a kid that place.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 10:48am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Always gave me the creeps when I was a kid that place.
Yeah, I preferred Livingstone St. Hated Woodchurch because of the high chlorine levels.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 11:49am
Is that the one with the mosaic along the top end of pool, i remember going there as a kid and the water being quite cold, not as cold as if you leant on the tiled wall though lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 12:10pm
Woodchurch was the newer one. Livingstone Street and Burne Ave were quite similar, with wooden cubicles, livingstone street updated first to laminate cubicles I think.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 11th Apr 2011 7:09pm
It's been nearly 40 years since I have been to Livingstone and Byrne Avenue baths. I used to play 5 a side football and sometimes table tennis in them.
So just wondering did anyone else do any of these and does anyone know how the baths were covered by wooden flooring which were very firm - no sort of give in them or was there another part that these things happened? Wouldn't mind a visit to inside Byrne Avenue baths and possibly find the answers
Posted By: cricketer Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 22nd Apr 2011 6:50am
Hi All,
New to this so go easy on me....
I am the driving force behind the re-opening of Byrne Avenue and just wish to advise that things are moving, although slowly towards re-opening the facility. Plans are complete for the refurb, building has been surveyed by Structural Engineers, Surveyors, and many more and it is fine. WBC have provided half of required monies and have now after much effort provided us with a lease to find the rest. Although these are tough times for us all our British stiff upper lip and graft will find the required funds. It is planned to reopen the facility summer of 2012. Sounds a long way away but time passes quickly. It is 9 month build project but one that the Wirral will be proud of! We are adding a number of new facilities and will be encouraging the local community to be at the heart of its reincarnation. Any help or support in finding the funds will be well received? Just as an aside once the doors open it is planned that it should never be in this position again, as it will be self funding with the surplus pumped back into the community in a number of ways. Hope this provides enthusiasm to help and support and please don't hesitate to make comment?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 22nd Apr 2011 7:10am
Is it possible for some of us on wikiwirral to be able to be given a tour of them and to take pics.
Coincidently I posted here on wiki asking which council dept I could get permission off to get in there
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 22nd Apr 2011 12:26pm
glad to see Byrne Ave Bath's getting reopened with a major facelift, Those changing rooms and toilets were horrendous. i used to use it from 2003-2008 every Monday.
Posted By: rocks Re: Byrne Avenue Baths - 22nd Apr 2011 1:25pm
iv just started swimming daily at the oval and use the wirral passport card, would i be able to use it at byrne av?, id rather they got the money as like most people i still have a love for the place were i first learnt to swim
© Wirral-Wikiwirral