Forums
Posted By: DavidB Installing a double pole switch for shower - 26th Sep 2010 9:05pm
The DP switch in the bathroom disintegrated. One of the black wires was loose in the terminal, and just burnt out the plastic surround, and the rotary cord switch thingy let go.

I'm crap at house electrics, and have had a look at it.
I tested the lot by connecting the red to red and black to black (load and feed?) and the shower switches on, but I think something kicks in and switches it off, you don't activate the shower unit immediately. I don't want to further mess with this as I know what might happen.

Can anyone explain why the shower is deactivating a couple of seconds after switching the power on at the consumer fuse box (Sanchez)?
I'll get a new switch tommorow and install it properly as I was doing the garden all day and need a bloody shower! laugh

Also, is red feed, or is that black?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Installing a double pole switch for shower - 26th Sep 2010 9:20pm
red smile
The feed, as in the incoming supply should be a 6 or a 10mm2 twin and earth cable, red being the live and black the neutral. The load side (cable going to the shower unit) should be the same cable as the feed. Be careful and make sure the connections you make are tight. Strip the cable back a bit so the damaged burnt part of the cable is cut away. If you have any doubt make sure you get help from someone who knows what they are doing. Is it an RCD (one with a little test button) that is tripping out or a MCB (no test button)?.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Installing a double pole switch for shower - 26th Sep 2010 11:40pm
Sorry Dave, I've only just read this but do as Kevinfinity says and you cant go wront. Just make sure you connect the supply and the outgoing side the right way round or the neon will be lit constantly!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Installing a double pole switch for shower - 26th Sep 2010 11:40pm
Sorry Dave, I've only just read this but do as Kevinfinity says and you cant go wront. Just make sure you connect the supply and the outgoing side the right way round or the neon will be lit constantly!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral