Forums
Posted By: Snodvan B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 11:28am
Over the last few weeks I have been noticing small holes in my lawn. They are about 2-3 inches diameter and a couple of inches deep. They are easy to spot because there is usually a tuft of dug out grass by the side.

I thought it was the magpies digging for grubs etc but last night I was up a bit late and around midnight I heard the CCTV recorder clicking on and off a lot so I first switched the screen on and then looked out of the window. I saw the culprit - a fox. Bold as brass it was roaming up and down the lawn and every so often it would scratch the surface and dig a bit.

Sure, I could "shoo" it away but no doubt it will be back if the problem has been going on for a few weeks.

Questions

What on earth can it be digging for? There will undoubtedly be the odd beetle or grub in the lawn but that is hardly a meal for a fox. There is no sign of mice in the lawn and no moles or the like.

How to I deter the thing? I will guess that often it visits very late at night or in the early hours so personal involvement is not practical

Anybody else had this problem

- incidentally I an not located in a rural setting. I am towards the edge of the estate in Wallasey but there are lots of houses in the area.

Snod
Posted By: MissGuided Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 11:50am
Maybe its just marking the ground?

You can get pellets that smell horrid - Scent Off?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 11:53am
Ask the RSPCA?

I wouldn't recommend following the best answer from here
Posted By: topofthepops Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 11:55am
I would phone the RSPCA. I presume they won't be interested unless it is hurt but they might point you to the right people to talk to.

Or maybe a ranger from one of the parks, Wirral Country Park?

We have seen them around the roads off Egremont prom, when taking an evening walk.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:00pm
we got that to keep the cats out,wast of money. snob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissGuided Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:00pm
have you tried chilli pepper? devil
Posted By: Anonymous Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:04pm
not yet will give that a go grin tried everythink eles raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:09pm
it worked on our front wall - i have to bleach it, then sprinkle it on - puts dogs off stopping for a wee on the wall.
Posted By: DavidB Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:15pm
A fox did this:

[Linked Image]

Bent a crossmember that had to be scrapped because it couldn't be straightened!
Posted By: bert1 Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:33pm
Why worry, sit back and enjoy nature, on the other hand if its joined by 100 hounds and 20 horses you have a problem.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 12:55pm
I'd like to know where they all go during the daytime?
Posted By: Wheels Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 1:30pm
I think a 50cal might work nicely.

Stick o dinomite leading to a pressure pad?

Lend someone's large wrotweiler?

I hope this helps smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 2:07pm
Block gaps in fence, gates etc
Posted By: Snodvan Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Hummm

The lawn concerned is 90 ft x 20ft and the thing digs (seemingly) random places all over, so chilli pepper or any other material put down would be expensive / impractical

The house is on a corner and the lawn runs alongside one road - with just a 2 - 3 ft brick garden wall and a big double gate sized opening to the driveway. So, no way can we have a fence to keep it out. I have watched the b***r on the CCTV and it tends to come in through the driveway opening and leaves over the wall.

I handed my shotgun in years ago, anyway, to say the least using that is a wee bit impractical in a built up area.

I think I will try spreading the odd patch of something nasty smelling that I have ("old" Jeyes fluid before it went all Health & Safety approved) to some of the areas I have seen it visit more often. If I soak a rag in that stuff, tie it to a string and then walk up/ down the grass it should leave enough there to be a deterrent. It will not harm the grass because I have used it years before to clear leather jacket grubs out of a lawn. I know the smell will also likely deter the neighbours, although personally I quite like the carbolic smell.

Apart from that I guess I am stuck with the visits.

Snod
Posted By: topofthepops Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 6:18pm
Ok this sounds stupid but I remembered something a friend done some time ago and just googled it! Human hair tied in socks or something similar around the garden. You can get it from a hair-dressers or barbers!
No harm in trying it?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 6:21pm
I hear spiders don't like horse chestnuts, but that's a different matter raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: B***** Foxes - 31st Jul 2009 6:24pm
[youtube]dRIUMc5F8BU[/youtube]
Best advert in the world, for sure!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: B***** Foxes - 1st Aug 2009 3:32pm
Just a genuine thought, for a change, would a cat deterrent work with foxes? As in the contraptions people buy, to stick in their gardens, and they sound a very high pitched screech (that the human ear can't hear) when the PIR detects movements, and deters cats from entering the garden??
Posted By: kimpri Re: B***** Foxes - 2nd Aug 2009 12:45am
the only cat deterrent iknow of that keeps cats out of gardens is lion poo chester zoo sell it thing £5.it might work on foxes.?
Posted By: bri445 Re: B***** Foxes - 2nd Aug 2009 9:46am
Mine doesn't work...the cats walk along the top of the fence behind it! Cost £25 quid! Thats 5 bags of lion poo, which fertilize as well. Just watch where you tread..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral