Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Model railway. - 23rd Apr 2008 9:25pm
Thinking of building one, as i used to love train sets as a kid and i would like to expand my creative abilities.

Has anyone ever built one? Not sure what wood to use as a base, I assume a soft paper base wood would be best, i would assume they sell them in B&Q for 6 foot by 4 foot?

Probs going to go straigh for a digital set, the ability to control the train rather than the track sounds cool.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Model railway. - 23rd Apr 2008 9:40pm
Speak to these guys, they should be able to offer advice etc, shame though as they had an open day last weekend.

http://www.merseysidemrs.co.uk/

There is a model railway and shop in the Wirral Transport Museam by the trams. Its free and im sure the shop will offer advice.

Also, look our for regular exhibitions that take place all over the Wirral from time to time. I went to a few with my grandad as a boy and found them fascinating.

Most importantly, get photo's and updates up as you build it, will be interesting to see.

smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 6:39am
Brilliant, thanks.

Don't know if it will look much good as i really stuggle creativly, will be interesting hopefully.
Posted By: Mark Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 7:16am
Just Dont build a Logic Train Set? ( Your comp back ground)

Logic : Train 1 Arrives.
Logic : Train 1 Leaves.
Logic : Train 2 Is Late
Logic : Check Power, check controls, think
Logic : Dam There is a SPECIAL Kind of Leaf on the Track.. lol
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 3:59pm
my blokes grandad just started his in the basement, it looks amazing, i'll ask him what he used and get a few pics up and things for you smile
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 4:03pm
An old fried of the family had one in there loft, I boreded the loft out then we built a massive one going round the hole loft at different levels lol, Was lots of hornby (spelling) stuff aswell,

Would love to see what its like now smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 4:53pm
Don't Kit Stop on oxton road sell the stuff for this ???
Posted By: Wheels Re: Model railway. - 24th Apr 2008 5:19pm
Originally Posted by Cali_16v
Don't Kit Stop on oxton road sell the stuff for this ???

withthat yes but they was closed when i went today
Posted By: kenny Re: Model railway. - 18th Apr 2009 4:18pm
There is a place in livrpool called Hattons, they are on smthdown road, anythin u want they will have.
Posted By: pops49 Re: Model railway. - 22nd Aug 2011 12:01pm
go on ebay for railway stuff.used and new (steam locos,coaches.wagons.shunters.track.animals.farms.people.and controlers.i have just started to put my railway back on track no pun intended.on two 8x4 boards.hope this helps
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Model railway. - 22nd Aug 2011 12:07pm
There's a model railway shop on Seaview Road, where the video shop used to be. Not far from it's junction with Grove Road, by the bike shop in the old Victoria Wine.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Model railway. - 22nd Aug 2011 12:12pm
Originally Posted by Nobody
There's a model railway shop on Seaview Road, where the video shop used to be. Not far from it's junction with Grove Road, by the bike shop in the old Victoria Wine.

he's gone now, he's somewhere in new brighton, i think its the bottom of victoria street down by the sailing school
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: Model railway. - 22nd Aug 2011 6:33pm
Hi, So you want to build a layout do you have a scale? in mind?, 00 gauge, or g gauge, or 0 gauge, n gauge, or???, like what im making a GN15 gauge which is 00 gauge track but all the engines/buildings/people/vehicles are 1/24th scale.And also it depends on you budget. thumbsup
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: Model railway. - 23rd Aug 2011 1:58am
Originally Posted by miketrain
Hi, So you want to build a layout do you have a scale? in mind?, 00 gauge, or g gauge, or 0 gauge, n gauge, or???, like what im making a GN15 gauge which is 00 gauge track but all the engines/buildings/people/vehicles are 1/24th scale.And also it depends on you budget. thumbsup
hi again as for the layout idea how big would you like?? to make the layout if you have a look at my layout in the hobbies section it might give you some ideas?.Ive p.m.d you so i can send you a book about layout building cheers mike.. thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral