Forums
Posted By: Pomp Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 13th Jan 2008 4:48am
Originally Posted by BBC
A giant cloud of hydrogen gas is racing towards a collision with the Milky Way, astronomers have announced.

Smith's Cloud, as it is known, may set off spectacular fireworks when it smacks into our galaxy in 20-40 million years.

It contains enough hydrogen to make a million stars like the Sun, say experts, and its leading edge is already hitting gas from our galaxy.

When it does hit, the cloud could indeed set off a new burst of star formation in the Milky Way.

Details of the work, by a team at the US National Radio Astronomy Observatory and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, were unveiled at the 211th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Austin, Texas.

[Linked Image]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7184521.stm?lsm

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 13th Jan 2008 8:28am
In 20 - 40 million years time ?? If I'm still about then, I really WILL have got good value from my pension !!

The eyesight probably won't be up to much, so I'll miss the best bits.

Some of the younger folk on this forum might be in with a chance though ?
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 13th Jan 2008 12:46pm
there was me thinking it was someone farting on a chocolate bar

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 13th Jan 2008 1:28pm
raftl @ daz

20-40 million years?! Too long to wait for fireworks lol

good find pomp happy
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 13th Jan 2008 3:56pm
my god thats ages away shame ill never see it or hear of it
but hopefully the fa,ily is still running lol
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Huge gas cloud will hit Milky Way - 14th Jan 2008 3:09pm
The world wont last that long if we keep driving round in our cars lol wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral