Forums
Posted By: TheComputerLab Fed up of adverts and tracking? - 31st Aug 2019 9:49am
Hi,

If like me you value your online privacy and are fed up of being bombarded with adverts (especially YouTube!)

Then have a look at pi hole. I have just installed it and it is remarkable!

This is a fairly advanced utility, you will need a raspberry pi or a virtual machine. Plus a bit of Linux experience or be able to follow tutorials.... or know someone that will do it for you!

In the past hour 10.2% of all the traffic i have used has been blocked as adverts or tracking data.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fed up of adverts and tracking? - 31st Aug 2019 12:34pm
On Firefox I use the uBlock Origin plug-in, looking at the stats it has blocked 367,682 adverts or 15% of traffic, some sites won't work if you have an ad-blocker. Even works with ITV Player (or whatever its name is today) removing the ad breaks.

On Opera an ad-block (and free VPN) is built in.

I have no objection at all to simple adverts being placed at the top of a page or down the side, I have a huge objection to dynamic adverts that not only slow things down enormously but grossly interfere with your normal browsing.

It scares the life out of me when I switch off my ad-blockers, many pages become virtually unusable and remind me of some torture techniques
© Wirral-Wikiwirral