Forums
Posted By: Snodvan HELP please - wireless printer setup - 30th May 2018 2:43pm
For a few years I have used an Epson XP600 printer scanner with no problems.
Yesterday Virgin Media provided me with a new set top box/ modem assembly - which of course then has totally new wifi password. Easy enough to set that up on the laptop so the lappy has wifi ok.

Using the "wizard" on the miniscreen of the XP600 I entered the new password and - fair enouh - the printer then printed the "check network connection" sheet.

However, if I try to print say a Word or other document from the laptop - it seems to want to print to pdf ---- somewhere ---- not to the the printer itself.

Help please guys. My head is in circles with my illness and the chemo treatments and I have things I need to print. If anyone can COME and sort it out for me (PM me) I will be very grateful

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 30th May 2018 4:17pm
Set the new printer as your default printer in Windows.

Its probably set print to pdf as the default.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 30th May 2018 6:11pm
Mark
I am using Win 10
If I use Devices and Printers from the windows menu I get what LOOKS OK ----1
However, when I try to print I first get what LOOKS like the normal print page except that it says "portprompt" as the (presumably) document destination ------------2
If I carry on and try to print the display asks for a file name and tries to save as .prn -------3

This is where I am stuck

Snod

Attached picture print.JPG
Attached picture portprompt.JPG
Attached picture printerfiles.JPG
Posted By: fish5133 Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 30th May 2018 10:52pm
Had similar problem with my Canon printer i think it was after i changed inks. The print window came up but it wasnt quite the same and all it was was a drop down box in the window had defaulted to printing to a different destination. Good luck
Posted By: Excoriator Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 31st May 2018 7:08am
Most printer drivers allow you to choose from a number of printers so you have to choose the right one. Windows 10 adds a load of daft 'virtual' printers which confuse the issue. Make sure you have chosen the one you want not one of these. You could also try removing it as a network printer and then adding it again.
Posted By: daveybm Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 31st May 2018 7:48am
Set the default printer to Epson30C435 XP-600 series, this shows an icon of your actual printer and not the generic one.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 31st May 2018 10:44am
Davey
Easy to say "set to default" - but HOW
If you look at the picture attached to my post you will see that the printer you say 30C345 is already shown ---- but is unselected
If I right click on the image - there is NO option to make it the default printer
If I right click and select properties then Web --- I get the page shown below. Does not help

"Help the Aged" needs help

Snod

Attached picture printerprops.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 31st May 2018 3:42pm
Was the printer switched on when you tried to set to default (it has to be connected otherwise it is grayed out).

Is your new router's address 192.168.0.1?

Have you got a program called EpsonNet (or more accurately "EpsonNet Config") on your laptop, if so, run it when the printer is switched on.

Sorry, I can't remember the full details but that might give you a lead.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 31st May 2018 6:38pm
DD
Yes printer was ON
Router IPs - seem to be 3
192.168.0.15 as IPV4
194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 ad DNS

No variant to epsonNet on my main machine ........ but

There is another older laptop normally connected wireless to my router. That machine had not been updated with new passwprd since the new router fitted.

Today I changed the password -- and good enough that gave internet access. THEN I tried to print a document. There was a lot of clunking from the printer but after about 5 mintues IT PRINTED. Since then it prints without any initial noises.

I can only thing that somehow I have wiped important files off my main laptop but that they still exist on the older laptop.

Whatever, tomorrow morning someone is coming to "sort me out"

Thanks folks

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 2nd Jun 2018 9:06am
As everything is on the same network, the router config shouldn't be an issue.

Its been along time since I've setup a modern printer but from previous issues I remember.

1. Setup the printer on dhcp (automat) , just for now. A static address can come later.

2. Disable any firewalls on your pc. There was a time when my printer could not be printed too but could send a ping

3. Think about starting over? Uninstall any software, and reseting the printer to defaults. Then only using either the provided software or windows 10 drivers perform the install. Just go with automatic settings for now.

4. If you have access to a 2nd pc try the above on that one, is it a pc or install issue.

Sometimes setup may require a physical cable.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: HELP please - wireless printer setup - 2nd Jun 2018 9:18am
Mark, thank you
Printer is now working ok - eventually I found the original Epson installation disk and that helped a lot. Basically a reinstallation could be started from scratch.

I even managed to link the printer to an ancient (20 year?) small laptop running XP.

Regards, Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral