Forums
Posted By: cools Is this genuine? - 8th Apr 2018 8:41pm
I have got an email informing me that my appIe ID has been locked for security reasons and I should change my password. They are mentioning St Lucia I think sopposedly where it's been compromised on a different source. I'm useless at all this but I'm not going to do anything till I know more. Does this sound like a scam? What can I do to see if genuine? Help please.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Is this genuine? - 8th Apr 2018 9:15pm
Try logging in to Apple, if you can, your account isn’t locked and the email is a scam. If you can’t log in it looks like email is genuine.

Whatever you do, don’t click on any links in the email.
Posted By: cools Re: Is this genuine? - 8th Apr 2018 9:30pm
Thanks DD, I've just tried and as far as I can see I can so I'm fairly sure it's a horrible scam. I'm pretty hopeless when something like this pops up but I won't click on anything. My sons here tomorrow he can recheck for me.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Is this genuine? - 8th Apr 2018 11:55pm
I wouldn't say that you are hopeless/ clueless Cools. Sounds like your' scam radar' was twitching and you sought help. You have also alerted other people to a potential scam.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Is this genuine? - 9th Apr 2018 12:56am
I think it's worth treating anything like this as a scam - they usually are.

I cut and paste the title or part of the wording into Google to see if
others have received it. That often confirms it as a scam.
Posted By: cools Re: Is this genuine? - 9th Apr 2018 9:51am
Just been onto apple support and verified this was a phishing scam and a couple of others were as well. Spent a long time with this guy who was really patient and articulate and has assured me how to spot scams. If anything is genuine coming from Apple it does not have a load of codes etc after it. So thanks folks for your help. Beware of Scams!!
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Is this genuine? - 9th Apr 2018 7:55pm
Glad your RADAR was twitching and you have had reassurance from Apple .Don't knock your-self down , it can happen to any one .You got a positive result .Tho it can be worrying when your not techno minded .I had a scare last year , nearly COST me all my money in bank account , but acted very quickly when I realised what I had done .THANK GOD .
Posted By: venice Re: Is this genuine? - 9th Apr 2018 9:43pm
One Ive come across this week is a text from DPD couriers telling me my parcel had been left around the back , and to email the enclosed link if I had any problems. It even gave the name of the local courier. Well I wasnt expecting a parcel , but if I had been and not known what courier company was going to be used, I might have got caught out and clicked it. As it was I checked with DPD by email , and they confirmed it was a known scam theyre trying to get stopped.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Is this genuine? - 10th Apr 2018 7:19am
NEVER change passwords through email requests or click on any links they are beyond a doubt scams. The easiest most effective response is to simply contact the customer services of the firm concerned by phone.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral