Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Web Search American Websites Grr! - 19th Feb 2018 7:16pm
Anyway to stop American websites coming up top of my web searches. Using Google Chrome. Never seemed to happen when using IE. Finding i have to put "UK" in whatever i am searching for ... . Is there a way of filtering out or at least getting UK websites up first..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Web Search American Websites Grr! - 19th Feb 2018 9:07pm
It should pick up your location from your IP address and ISP.

If you log into google you can set your location, perhaps this is possible in Chrome too (I don't use chrome).

Click on the following and tell me what location it has guessed CLICKY mine is currently coming up as Formby which is close enough.
Posted By: venice Re: Web Search American Websites Grr! - 20th Feb 2018 12:34am
I have the same problem fish , and put UK automatically now in my searches .Im using Firefox. I clicked the above DD and got Manchester , I guess thats near enough too?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Web Search American Websites Grr! - 20th Feb 2018 1:16am
Putting UK in the search will really limit the results as it will be biased to pages with UK in them (WikiWirral doesn't have UK on most of the pages).

Google are trying to force people to log into google, there used to be three methods of biasing to uk without logging in but they have gradually removed them.

I got the link wrong above, it should have been https://news.google.com/news/local to give it a more open search. Mine still comes up as Formby but sets the language and edition to US.

The other thing that might bias google AGAINST uk is if the home page on Chrome isn't set to a uk page, google uses your history to guess what you want to see, eg if your home page is donaldtrump.com then it might assume you are an American.

Google reckon google.co.uk and google.com are the same these days but I've noticed a difference by using google.co.uk even though it usually redirects you to google.co.uk anyway.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Web Search American Websites Grr! - 20th Feb 2018 7:21pm
cheers DD. Coming up as Liverpool. Seem to get UK websites now if i use yahoo uk for searching. Ruddy yanks
© Wirral-Wikiwirral