Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 19th Sep 2017 5:48pm
If you use ccleaner, a previous release of this had malware installed on it. Update now to make sure you are safe. Piriform have already had the command and control server taken down that used the malware but its best to play safe.

SOURCE
Posted By: buddy Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 19th Sep 2017 7:27pm
Thanks DD - Done
Posted By: casper Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 19th Sep 2017 8:10pm
Thank you DD, all done.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 20th Sep 2017 8:43am
Worth bearing in mind that Piriform is owned by Avast Anti virus.

I certainly wouldn't use their software if they can't keep their own equipment safe.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 20th Sep 2017 11:58am
How do you know that the new version is free from 'malware'?

There is something about security software that reminds me of a dodgy cove approaching you as you park your car offering to 'look after' it for you for a modest fee, following his offer by admiring the paintwork and saying what a pity it would be if it got scratched, whilst tossing a bunch of keys from hand to hand.

Mrs E. was phoned by the bank to say someone had been using her debit card on the internet. She didn't lose anything - the bank paid up but rather grudgingly. Did she have antivirus software on her computer? She handed the phone to me as she didn't know. I said it had a free version of one of them and Windows 10 which has virus protection in it anyway. I was told we should have the full version of a dedicated one, but when I pointed out that it was their job to protect our bank accounts, not ours, and they had designed the online system including its security features and should take responsibility for its failures, but I would happily install the most expensive one on my computer if they paid for it, and paid me to install and maintain it.

Suddenly, this requirement evaporated. Windows 10 would do!

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 20th Sep 2017 8:22pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Worth bearing in mind that Piriform is owned by Avast Anti virus.

I certainly wouldn't use their software if they can't keep their own equipment safe.

I wasn't aware of that recent buyout, Avast also took over AVG last year.

You would think they'd take special care, being an internet security company obviously makes you a target.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 21st Sep 2017 1:44pm
You don't need virus software it just slows your computer down.
I don't use it and I've never had a problem.
Posted By: Mark Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 25th Sep 2017 5:53am
Ste, you won't know you have a problem until it's too late.

If you don't have any scanners, you could think your virus free.

At the very least ensure you have all your windows updates in place. That will at least close security holes your not aware of.

There are many types of viruses not all are harmful. Some just allow the door to be opened for monitoring software, or reading your contacts list, even key loggers that can record your passwords.

Food for thought.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 25th Sep 2017 1:49pm
Figures from last year:-

Action fraud get 30,000 cases a month (360,000 a year) of bank fraud.

Banking ombudsman gets 100 cases a week (52,000 a year) where victims haven't managed to get their money back after bank fraud.

I know four people who have had their bank account and overdraft cleared. There are also people on wiki who have reported it has happened to them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: URGENT: Update CCleaner now - 25th Sep 2017 2:27pm
Whoops, extra zero crept in in there. 52000 should read 5,200.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral