Forums
Posted By: j_demo Video card compatability question - 7th Apr 2017 5:32pm
I have an Advent DT1404 desktop that i would like to connect to my tv and so will need a new video card.

I have seen this one on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182461714591 which is a "DELL Nvidia GeForce G310 512MB DDR3 DVI HDMI Desktop Graphics Video Card FTGGG"

Will this work in my computer?

Here's some pictures of the inside of my computer as i believe you'll probably need them:
Comp insides https://imgur.com/gallery/8J7wL

Ps. If it doesn't work, can you direct me to a card that would. It would need to be hdmi as i want this computer to plug into my tv for skyplayer and bt sport streaming.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Video card compatability question - 7th Apr 2017 6:04pm
The seller is a computer shop so ask the seller, that way if there are any problems then it is on his head.

I believe both the card and the computer have a PCI-express interface so imho it should work.

Some versions of windows will require a graphics driver for it.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Video card compatability question - 8th Apr 2017 2:24pm
Its been a while since I upgraded my Pc so possibly a little rusty,
The Dell on ebay supports windows vista so is quite old,I had a quick look and came up with This launched around the same time as your Pc
Its more upto date,you can order over the phone and have a chat with them "very helpful,
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Video card compatability question - 8th Apr 2017 9:47pm
Why not use the integrated graphics the DT1404 has already? (Intel HD Graphics 2000) using the VGA port provided on the computer?

Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Video card compatability question - 9th Apr 2017 1:15pm
The trouble with that is `one is an analog the other is digital, even with a converter& plus adapter you would then need a separate cable to carry the sound,its not worth trouble,Id go for the graphics card there cheap enough these days.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Video card compatability question - 9th Apr 2017 5:18pm
You can also use USB if you must have digital. Easy to convert to HDMI with a suitable cable.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Video card compatability question - 9th Apr 2017 9:23pm
I don't know if your telly will support it, but I use wi-fi to send stuff from the PC to the TV. I could also use a direct ethernet connection I expect. I don't think the video card is involved at all. Displaying videos from digital data is what the TV is designed to do.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Video card compatability question - 10th Apr 2017 6:13pm
Cheers guys. Yeh i got a vga to rgb connector for like a couple of quid and it didn't work so new graphics card is prob the easiest option without messing round with adapters etc.

I got the one i linked to on ebay simply because i had the funds in my paypal and by all accounts it should do what i need it to. I'm not gonna be streaming 3d 4k video or be doing any high res gaming etc just wanna hook it to the tv for skygo streaming and stuff like that.

It should be arriving tomorrow so will update you on how i get on.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral