Forums
Posted By: saltytom Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 8:25am
I have just upgraded my Television to the latest Samsung, via my laptop I watch a few hours of sky golf / cricket and rugby via cricfree tv.

I have been told to get a Stick and load it with Kodi to get sky when I ask for details its all a bit vague.

Do we have member who can point me in the right direction.
I have spent money on the tv so I'm not looking for the cheapest solution I want it to be right.

Thank you
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 9:06am
Best guides are here:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/

You'll be disappointed though if you're trying to watch live sport by it - Kodi is now really popular and there are too many people online trying to watch the sport, so it buffers and stops.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 12:28pm
A slight word of warning ....

Firesticks can overheat, because of this they have a temperature sensor inside which slows/stops the stick to avoid it getting far too hot. With the standard software this puts a message on the screen saying what is happening.

In a device like that I would be concerned about loading third party software that may have interfered with the temperature safety feature.

We have a firestick here which overheats, Amazon are currently refusing to replace it because it is outside of their warranty, I may get round to ramming the sales of goods act (consumer rights act) down their throat some day.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 12:38pm
For Kodi this is one of the better boxes.
2016 MX Pro Quad Core Android 5.1 Smart TV Box
for sale on a well known site from about £25 comes pre-loaded.there are loads of videos on line about Kodi
Alan
Posted By: casper Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 12:44pm
You can also get a dedicated box something like an mx a little bit dearer than a fire stick, I have both and the mx is far better and comes loaded with most programmes, if you get the fire stick you must load it yourself,I only use the firestick as a secondary device, bedroom or other room in case there is a dispute over what to view, go online and look for MX8 box and you will get an idea of what they are about and the cost, I am sure you can purchase them locally if you don't wish to use the net, hope this helps
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 5:21pm
Another - and better idea - would be to give up watching the overhyped howlingly crap entertainment that constitutes televised sport entirely, resist your couch potato instincts and find something more interesting to do.

Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 6:04pm
run kodi on your pc/laptop first see if you like it, once you download it watch this video on setting up step by step with the best repos wink [youtube]NyJxhNM7N9U[/youtube] hope this helps
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 6:10pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Another - and better idea - would be to give up watching the overhyped howlingly crap entertainment that constitutes televised sport entirely, resist your couch potato instincts and find something more interesting to do.

Hahaha, you never fail to make me laugh Ex laugh

Regarding firestick, MX boxes or whatever you decide to use for Kodi, live sports are the hardest to view so gibbo's post is very true. Also the link to seo.michael has the best guides around, bar none
For films and TV it is great but sport is very sketchy and unreliable at times (not always mind you) which can be very frustrating
Also it is illegal to view 'paid for, tv' wink Ah well grin
Posted By: casper Re: Firestick / Kodi - 13th Sep 2016 6:23pm
Each to his own, I don't watch sport either, but its entertainment for those that do, which is their choice, and I think it is a bit highhanded of you to dismiss an individuals choice of programme or the way they spend their leisure time.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 6:40am
Exoriator your opinion of my viewing habits was neither asked for or required, had you read the post correctly it states a "Few hours".

Thank you to everyone else for your help I think I will stick with cricfree tv, as I'm unsure why the price of the MX box varies between £40 to £80 for what looks like the same unit.
At the end of the day as I said I only need it for a few hours a week and the wife gets all her stuff on freeview.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 8:26am
Originally Posted by saltytom
Exoriator your opinion of my viewing habits was neither asked for or required, had you read the post correctly it states a "Few hours".

Thank you to everyone else for your help I think I will stick with cricfree tv, as I'm unsure why the price of the MX box varies between £40 to £80 for what looks like the same unit.
At the end of the day as I said I only need it for a few hours a week and the wife gets all her stuff on freeview.

My criticism was more of what televised sport has become than about your viewing habits, SaltyTom. My fury at the travesty it is now allowed me to lose sight of good manners, and I apologise.

At one time taking part in the Olympics was more important than winning. These days the Beeb is more concerned with the medal count than anything else and actually runs a medal tracker page!

Bah!
Posted By: saltytom Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 8:48am
Ex agree re Olympics,accepted, I would like to think golf rugby and cricket have maintained honestly and integrity to a degree, sadly all lost from BBC.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 9:29am
Sportsmania subscription, £26 for 6 months, can use it across platforms (Kodi add on, web browser, iOS and Android apps), highly recommend it for sports.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 9:39am
I'm watching this thread with great interest because I've been thinking of buying a firestick for some time. I'm not a great sports fan but do love my music. So would appreciate any thoughts on wether it would be worth it to me, are there music channels available? Cheers folks. smile
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 9:51am
Plenty of music add ons in Kodi Dilly yes. If you have an Amazon Prime account there is Amazon Music also.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 10:41am
Originally Posted by tedmus
Plenty of music add ons in Kodi Dilly yes. If you have an Amazon Prime account there is Amazon Music also.

Cheers Tedmus.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 11:33am
Sorry to butt in, but I am also thinking of getting a new box for viewing new shows. On the android box mentioned, what type of shows do you get on it? Do you get drama/boxsets/film/history etc loaded onto to the box? I am just starting my research into android boxes and know nothing about them. I can't find anything about the actual tv shows you get. And are the shows you get a mixture of previously shown ones (that may have been shown on freeview for eg), as well as more up to date shows/films?

Thanks.

Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 11:58am
On Exodus add on you can get pretty much anything. UK Turk has a lot of classic stuff on there as well. Don't bother buying pre loaded, they'll be full of rubbish and half the add ons wont work, just buy one with a fresh Kodi install and install whatever add ons you want yourself.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 12:18pm
Right ok, thanks. I was looking at this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272333664115

Posted By: flashdoug Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 12:35pm
THIS ONE IS THE BEAST
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beelink-GT1-TV-Box-Amlogic-Octa-Core-Android-Dual-WiFi-Bluetooth-2G-16G-UK-Plug-/282157184641?hash=item41b1e0f681:g:EXAAAOSwgmJXx~KH
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 12:39pm
Thanks! Will have a look at this one.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 12:46pm
Slightly cheaper on Gearbest, I've bought from there myself, around 10 days total for delivery

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_428523.html

I have this one which is great for the price

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_366028.html?wid=21
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 4:10pm
Kodi itself is just an app and nothing to do with the box/stick you buy
People sell the boxes pre-loaded with kodi for a premium
I would do as eddtheduck suggested and try it on your PC/Laptop first to see if you like it first before buying anything
Personally, I started using it about 8 years ago on an Apple TV1 box and it has come on leaps and bounds since then (Kodi was previously called XBMC)
For music and TV it is the best thing since sliced bread and you can watch/listen to almost anything you want on it.....Yes, almost anything
Yes, sports-wise it can be frustrating at times but adequate (I watched Kell Brook and Everton on it recently)
https://kodi.tv/download/
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 4:28pm
Thanks for the advice and help. Sorry for hijacking this post. I will see if I like it first on the laptop.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 4:33pm
Originally Posted by geprgie260
Thanks for the advice and help. Sorry for hijacking this post. I will see if I like it first on the laptop.

Hey gep, you are not hijacking the post, you are adding to it which is always welcome smile
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 4:47pm
Thanks mikeeb!

I have some catching up to do to get acquainted with Kodi. I have downloaded it and I'm jsut exploring it atm. People much more experienced than me will just get on it and watch!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 7:33pm
It takes a bit of getting used to gep
The best app is phoenix
Type install phoenix kodi into Google and follow the link to seo.michael
As I said it takes bit of getting used to but it is worth it
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 14th Sep 2016 9:35pm
Seo Michael site is a great resource.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Firestick / Kodi - 15th Sep 2016 10:16am
If you're using a PC with Windows then you can already try it and experiment before buying a stick or box:

https://kodi.tv/download/

The best addon for TVs and movies I've found is Exodus:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-exodus-for-kodi/

There's plenty of demos of what it looks like on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/byOaDg3yTQQ?t=1m47s
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 15th Sep 2016 11:08am
Thanks. It looks complicated though.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 15th Sep 2016 5:43pm
Thanks. It looks complicated though.
as I said it takes a bit of getting used to installing what apps you want but it is worth it in the end
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 15th Sep 2016 6:28pm
If you get one just PM me with your email address & I can send you all the step by step guides or videos. I use the Paradox build myself which has all the addons collated together so you don't have to do it yourself & everything is easy to find. [Also has some great music addons].
I prefer the boxes to a Firestick & you want one with 2gb rom/16gb ram.
The Beelink ones are decent & I also bought mine off Gearbest.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 16th Sep 2016 7:47am
If you get an android box you might want to look at installing SPMC instead of Kodi, exactly the same in all respects but optimised for android devices so runs better.

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases/tag/16.4.2-spmc
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 16th Sep 2016 9:57am
Thanks very much Raven61 - I'm doing my research at the moment, and getting to grips with it all.

Thanks very much also to mikeeb and tedmus - I will let the advice 'sink in' and have a good look at what's available.

All your advice is much appreciated. I am looking forward to getting a box, and having more tv to choose from!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Firestick / Kodi - 16th Sep 2016 6:16pm
Thanks very much Raven61 - I'm doing my research at the moment, and getting to grips with it all.

Thanks very much also to mikeeb and tedmus - I will let the advice 'sink in' and have a good look at what's available.

All your advice is much appreciated. I am looking forward to getting a box, and having more tv to choose from!

Not a problem gep wink
Ravens generous offer is one you should take up if you get stuck
The interface is exactly the same across all platforms (android/windows/apple)
Stick with your PC for now because you already have it
When you are comfortable with the interface then decide if you want to fork out for a box or firestick
I watch full box sets at once
Person of interest is one of my favs
Happy viewing wink
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Firestick / Kodi - 17th Sep 2016 6:04am
Yes, a very generous offer made by Raven61. As always, the help and advice on here is generous and great.

Sorry again for butting in on this post - I had been looking at the boxes/firesticks when the I read the post and thought it was a strange coincidence that saltytom had posted about the subject.

I have downloaded kodi and I am now exploring it.

Thanks again for the help and advice offered.
Posted By: casper Re: Firestick / Kodi - 17th Sep 2016 3:09pm
Yep brilliant for box sets mikeeb, just started watching Narcos series 2, and am watching Ray Donovan series 4.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Firestick / Kodi - 17th Sep 2016 6:22pm
Real Debrid - £13 for 6 months. Get it configured with URL Resolver and Exodus and it will bump all the best quality links up in your searches. Works with SALTS too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral