Forums
Posted By: venice Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 12:25pm
Hi Ive got an Acer laptop using Windows 7 . BB provider is Sky . Weve got a BT line

Was using it a few minutes ago , browsing , the laptop just started bleeping and nothing would stop it. I had about 5 pages open . Everything on the screen disappeared except an 'URGENT' large large red letters pop up box saying Error Code 056233 and blurb that BT had noticed suspicious activity etc etc . Because I was so startled never having experienced loud bleeps before , I didnt bother reading the whole thing I just copied it into my browser to paste and look at once Id closed down. I didnt click anything but just closed the pages from my bottom toolbar and the bleeps stopped when I closed the bleeping page.

Well, the copy wouldnt paste, so I dont know what else it said , although Id noticed links for help to click.
I looked up the Error, and theres nothing .I googled Clicking accompanied by that sort of notice , and its said to be a keylogger type virus. As long as I didnt click anything, should I be ok? Or, might I have already got a key logger on from being on the site in the first place? If I try and change my bank passwords , if they are logged on , wont they just note my new details as I do it?

Microsoft Security essentials is still showing as everything ok, but should I run something like Malware Bytes and if so please can anyone give me a safe link to it please ? Many thanks for any help or observations etc.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 1:07pm
Probably just a dodgy drive by download trying to make you click on it
I would run a malwarebytes scan just to be safe
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 1:12pm
Here is the link to download it
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Once downloaded check the file in www.virustotal.com before opening it
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 1:57pm
My 1st post I meant dodgy download link trying to make you click on it
Not drive by download, sorry for wrong info venice
Posted By: Habdab Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 3:17pm
You could also download and install the 30 day trial of "Emsisoft Anti-malware" from here...
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/
It checks for rootkits among other things.

Good luck

Habdab
Posted By: venice Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 12th Jul 2016 11:26pm
Hi Mike and Habdab.Thanks, sorry for the delay. Been diverted to other things Im afraid so havent had a chance to try anything out yet . Will give it a go tomorrow . Would the emsisoft thing be compatible with my Security Essentials protection ?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 6:35am
Generally most antimalware will work side by side with microsoft security essentials as long as you turn off realtime protection in the antimalware and only use it for scans
I cannot vouch for emsisoft so don't know
I use norton 360 and malwarebytes with no problems
Norton turns security essentials off so there is no conflicts
Posted By: Habdab Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 8:02am
Not sure if this is of any use to you but if you bank with Barclays and have internet banking with them, they will give you Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for free for two machines. i.e. PC and mobile phone, or 2 PC's etc.
Kaspersky scores one of the highest ratings in independent tests and also protects against rootkits.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 8:15am
Just spotted this . . . . . https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/unhackme-8-12/

It's only free for today Wednesday 13th July so don't hang about.
Posted By: venice Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 9:58pm
Hi Habdab, thanks, Im just trying to download that now, but not sure Im doing it right . I went straight forthe big 'download now' button, but afterwards noticed above it said something about maybe needing to download driver assist first .

Ive been waiting for the main download button I pressed to finish downloading, but the arrows are still going showing its still actioning (I presume) 10 minutes later. Not sure now whether its actually downloading 'unhack me' without me pressing the other button for the driver assist thing or whether its just actually not getting anywhere and is 'stuck' . Will leave it another 5 minutes and see what happens then maybe Ill just have to press the driver assist button and see what happens . Tsst wish I understood IT !!
Posted By: venice Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 10:06pm
http://www.driverassist.com/lp/wp/g...lid&gclid=CIPa1Mez8c0CFQoW0wodS1cOpQ

This is what came up when I clicked on the link you put that Im downloading . It doesnt acutally mention unhack me anywhere ? Downloading is still going on ....
Posted By: venice Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 13th Jul 2016 10:56pm
Duh - I see now that what I clicked, was an advertisement, (written in tiny letters above it ).

Ah well, started again and pressed the proper unhack me green button , watched it count down the download to completed, but theres no sign of it either on my desktop, or in my programs . So how do I access it if I want to run it?
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 14th Jul 2016 5:49pm
Is it not in your download folder?
What version of windows do you have venice?
Posted By: venice Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 14th Jul 2016 7:42pm
Hi mike - I think I know the problem now . Im not au fait with downloading much , and previously when Ive done it , Ive got a box with do I want to save it as an option. When this unhack file finished (as in it counted down to zero seconds ) I waited to see if it did anything else in the way of telling me it was completed , but after a couple of mins, nothing had happened, so I just presumed it had automatically saved itself . It obviously hasnt . Im using windows 7 . Not to worry . Thanks .
Posted By: Mark Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 17th Jul 2016 6:26pm
Download and install can be two different processes.

The download comes down first and waits in your bottom bar. The count down was basically how long is left before the file is fully download to your computer.

You can also find this file in your download folder. But its just as easy to download again if your not sure where that is. If you down load a second time you will see (1) included as its file name, its fine, it just knows its a duplicate.

If its in your bottom status bar just click on it and you will get a prompt to install or run, either will start the install wizard.

Keep going your almost there.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Oh dear is this a virus ? - 18th Jul 2016 10:22am
Sorry Venice if you haven't installed Unhackme by now, you've missed the boat.
The giveaway had to be installed on the day it was offered. Not my rules sorry frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral