Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Goodbye Virginmedia,blueyonder ntl and virgin net - 11th May 2016 11:19pm
Very kind of Virgin to close all the above email accounts at end of June.

Think as a reciprocal jesture I will transfer my virgin mobile services to a n other.

Is Gmail as good as any for new email account?

Right pain having to remember all the various websites email address is linked with and wading through address book.
Is this happening to all @Virginmedia.com email adresses.I have my landline phone, Broadband and Tv service with them
I've used Gmail as my email address and had no problems. If I change service provider I don't need to change my email address.
I've used Gmail for years and it has many nice features, including the ability to have multiple accounts show on one page if you wish, plus if you press send, there's a 20 second option to cancel the email and re-edit it. You can make folders to save your various emails to and they give you a very generous allowance to store all your past emails in, this is linked to your Google drive so don't go filling your Google drive with stuff or you won't be able to save old emails.
Also if you have a smart phone your Gmail account is synced between the phone and the PC. for more advice have a look here....
http://www.gcflearnfree.org/gmail
I've been with Virgin ever since their Telewest and Cable & Wireless days and never every used the email they've given me.
I started off with a ntlworld email address but when I left virgin to get my TV from Freesat a few years ago I opened a Gmail account and have found it reliable and easy to use. I like the fact that it is not tied to any other TV or service provider so I can change them whenever I like and my email serviced are not affected smile
"Very kind of Virgin to close all the above email accounts at end of June."

Err- have I missed something??
I have ntlworld and virgin.net email accounts and there has not been ANY communication from Virgin saying there will be a change / end to operation of these. How/ when was such information distributed

Snod
Originally Posted by valli
Is this happening to all @Virginmedia.com email adresses.I have my landline phone, Broadband and Tv service with them

I don't know. Presume you must be on cable with them as they switched us to Talk Talk when they sold of Virgin National (which was the phone and broadband down the old telephone lines not the new cables.)

Gmail it is--thanks guys
Sorry Snodvan for the alarm. I have a letter from Talk Talk and virgin media (national) told us when they sold out to talk talk. I never knew there was different virgin media sectors. Will be really naffed off if the virginmedia.com address is still active and the only reason I have mine closed is because they sold off to talk talk.
That is the problem, Virgin Media are providing the services for emails but talktalk have the customers.

Generally in the past Virgin have been very generous, even when you cancelled your virgin account the email and webspace was kept live for many years afterwards.
I was last with Virgin Broadband (over a BT line) in 2007 when I then switched to O2 Broadband (now sadly missed). Never been with Virgin since as cable not available in my area but our virgin.net email addresses have remained active and I have had no notification of the service being switched off.
You do need to use your virgin email account at least once every 90 days to keep it active see:
Changes to our Acceptable Use Policy for Virgin Media Mail
Yes papa-Juliet--I still have a freeserve email address from 20 odd years ago that I can still access via orange now ee.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral