Forums
Posted By: Giggler Antivirus and software protection - 20th Apr 2016 4:12pm
Hi All. Can anyone recommend internet security for my mums laptop please? Thank you.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Antivirus and software protection - 20th Apr 2016 5:24pm
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall

Just make sure when you install and update you don't opt in to any trial or pro versions unless you really want to pay for it.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/download/2016/57/zaSetupWeb_141_057_000.exe
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Antivirus and software protection - 21st Apr 2016 9:29am
ESET Nod 32 would be my recommendation, been using it for years at home and work.

http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/NOD32-Antivirus
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Antivirus and software protection - 21st Apr 2016 11:54am
i'm using avast free, with windows firewall and comodo dragon browser, with malwarebytes
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Antivirus and software protection - 21st Apr 2016 5:22pm
If you are using Avast, make sure you go through the settings, it is very capable but as it is slow the default settings are chosen make it quicker but also leave you unprotected against some of the nastiest attacks.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Antivirus and software protection - 21st Apr 2016 5:37pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
i'm using avast free, with windows firewall and comodo dragon browser, with malwarebytes

Me too. I've used Avast free for years alongside Malwarebytes free as back up. No hesitation in recommending this combination.
Posted By: Mark Re: Antivirus and software protection - 21st Apr 2016 7:20pm
Originally Posted by Giggler
Hi All. Can anyone recommend internet security for my mums laptop please? Thank you.

Internet Security for mums is always a difficult one as Internet security is only as smart as the user sitting in front of it.

You can have the best Internet Security and then allow access to a program thats opening a back door.

For Mums (Who dont know how)
I would recommend free Antivirus software, these free versions give a practical level with out leaving you too vulnerable. And in your mind to factory reset if problems occur. Back up photos to dropbox and Google drive.

This solution works just as well for children too, its just not worth paying for software the user just doesn't understand.

Thats my thoughts for yu mum.
Good luck.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral