Forums
Posted By: Gibbo Important Kindle Software Update - 21st Mar 2016 1:58pm
If you're a older Kindle user (the device, not you!), not sure if you've heard of this or had the email (I hadn't, neither had many others). There's an important update that needs to go on before Wednesday:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 21st Mar 2016 2:24pm
Saw this earlier and forgot again - thanks for the reminder.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 21st Mar 2016 10:47pm
I suspect this update comes over automatically if you switch on Wireless, which you do to buy a book. I don't think you need to worry if you've done this in the past few months. The reminder is probably aimed at people who rarely use it.

We have two that are quite old, although they are different models, and both turned out to have the software although neither of us had been aware of any updating.

Although, about a month ago, mine showed the wireless connected but refused to let me communicate with Amazon at all. I reset it, and its worked perfectly since. Perhaps that was the result of the download, and the reset was required to activate it.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 22nd Mar 2016 8:43am
Anyone tried this yet? I followed the instructions in Gibbo's link but there was no confirmation that it had worked, this morning, in my Kindle library.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 22nd Mar 2016 9:50am
I meant to try it last night but forgot.

I use my Kindle all the time, but leave the wireless off to save battery power.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 22nd Mar 2016 11:07am
Have you checked to see if the software version needed to be updated? And if it was whether it has been updated now?
Posted By: palemoon Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 22nd Mar 2016 11:41am
Still no sign of confirmation but the Wi-Fi is connected okay.Will give it another go tonight. 22nd, last chance to find out.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 24th Mar 2016 2:16am
We did not see any notice of this but I checked
wife's Kindle today 23rd and it is connecting to
wireless ok. It is an old one so would have needed
the update so I'm guessing it was uploaded silently
on one of the few occasions she links to the internet
to download a new book. Just lucky - I don't understand
why Kindle did not give better notice.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 24th Mar 2016 9:19am
Originally Posted by palemoon
Still no sign of confirmation but the Wi-Fi is connected okay.Will give it another go tonight. 22nd, last chance to find out.

Well I have quoted my own post just to advise that my old Kindle appears to be working fine. I had no warning of an update nor any confirmation that one had happened.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Important Kindle Software Update - 24th Mar 2016 2:24pm
Most of the required updates happened ages ago, they accidentally have made it look like there is a recent urgent update which isn't the case.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral