Forums
Posted By: Snodvan wmiprvse.exe - 20th Mar 2016 10:27am
Microsoft speak !! Bah

I am bothered by MS file wmiprvse.exe which caused high CPU use (Win 7). I can suspend the process of wmiprvse.exe after startup using task manager BUT that is a pain to have to do every time. Suspending the file does not seem to impede the comuter use in any way at all so I wonder why it is there in the first place.

The Web says there is a MS "fix" as
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1157

However, when I download the fix file and try to run it (any mode inc. as administrator) I get a message

"the requested operation requires elevation"

THAT is a message I have not seen before!
What does it mean?
the web suggests there is a security level above administrator but I cannot get that to work

Anyone else hade the high CPU use problem and sorted it out ?

Snod
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wmiprvse.exe - 20th Mar 2016 4:36pm
Got to services, select "Windows Management Instrumentation" service, hit the restart button.

The problem is caused by things starting in the wrong order, the restart starts them in the correct order.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wmiprvse.exe - 20th Mar 2016 7:29pm
DD
The procedure you described certainly helped a lot ie CPU use decreased and the "every 30 seconds" peaks in COP use seem to have stopped. CPU use is not as low as when I "suspend" wmiprvse.exe but certainly better.

Interestingly there now seem to often be 2 - 3 copies of wmiprvse.exe operating at a given time (according to Resource Monitor)

Thanks, Snod
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wmiprvse.exe - 21st Mar 2016 12:55pm
Three copies sounds about right, one should be a user account, the other two are probably system accounts, one for each network adaptor (wireless and ethernet).

My thanks go to the guy that found this simple way of curing its problems, the other manual methods were messy.

Its not entirely a necessary process but certain network things may not happen correctly if it is disabled - the consensus is to keep it running or expect problems.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral