Forums
Posted By: lincle computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 8:05pm
Hi Can anyone help me sort out my laptop which is causing probs when I try to write an email.The letters don't always appear or they do after Ive typed in something else so that sentences are nonsensical. A little blue circle goes round & round for a while then when it stops I can type a letter or number .Its taking so long just to type a few words & is running so slow its driving me potty.Grateful for any help
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 9:16pm
Sounds like its full of malware .. these are quite good,download the latest version,make sure you run the ccleaner before running malwarebytes .. there free.
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Posted By: lincle Re: computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 9:35pm
Thanks Vanmanone,as I'm a technophobe I will ask my Son tomorrow if he will do this for me.Hopefully it will solve the problem & keep me sane. Will let you know. Appreciate your help
Posted By: Mark Re: computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 10:14pm
As above, you most definitely have some resources taking over the processor and its normal tasks.

After you have run both of those programs you should consider in Internet Security.

If not, don't save any bank details or passwords on that computer, its not protected from your description.
Posted By: j_demo Re: computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 10:40pm
First thought was maybe your keyboard got a bit of water or something in it, happened to me one day i was cleaning my laptop with a wet wipe and some got between the keys and messed it up, a P was coming out like a ! And other such nonsense. Took the thing apart and dried it out under a halogen heater and it all works fine now.

Lack of computing power sounds also playsible.

If you have access to a usb keyboard try that out first otherwise a system clean up and the such may well sort it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: computer problem - 12th Nov 2015 10:43pm
on the less serious side-if you have a wireless mouse and keyboard check if your batteries in your mouse and keyboard are ok. Also if any keys are stuck down .

on the serious side... think I had similar problem shortly before hit with cryptolocker-- in which case don't save anything to a pen drive or external hard drive in case of infecting those.
Posted By: lincle Re: computer problem - 13th Nov 2015 9:23am
Thanks everyone.I will get my Son to try your suggestions .I have internet security so hopefully my details will be safe.
Posted By: Habdab Re: computer problem - 14th Nov 2015 11:34am
The only way your personal files will be safe, is if you regularly back them up to an external drive which you then remove from your Computer. If left connected, "Cryptolocker" or a similar ransom ware will infect that drive too and encrypt all of your files.
Paying the ransom is no guarantee they'll send you the password to un-encrypt your files.

Cryptolocker has been covered before on this Forum....
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...locker-ransomware-beware.html#Post959787
Posted By: lincle Re: computer problem - 14th Nov 2015 6:22pm
Thanks everyone .My Son called today & looked at your suggestions,did something,dont know what but things much better not 100% but faster speed & better typing ability. Habdab I didn't spot your reply so will have to show my Son I know he backs up some of my files,photos etc onto an external drive .Thanks again
© Wirral-Wikiwirral