Forums
Posted By: spider Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 2:19pm
veritas alarm,.....unset light on and tamper light on,renewed panel battery,and renewed whole bell box and battery as old bell box obserlete,the problem is tamper light won't go off and can not reset...any help or advice would be appreciated...thanks..ASAP please. I have tried every thing I can find on the net ,but no luck..cheers..
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 2:26pm
Is there a spring/ micro switch inside the bell box cover that isn't seated correctly, thus indicating the bell box housing has been tampered with?
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 3:03pm
It has. Micro switch with a spring loaded bar if you Know what I mean ? When the lid or front of the box is on it presses the bar on to the switch..can't go wrong realay..thanks for you input though..cheers
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 3:25pm
And there will be one on keypad or main unit as well check that they are working and they could go wrong by not working
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 5:12pm
I have checked the bell box and control box with the 12v battery in ( new one) they are ok,I'll check and look at the key pad..cheers
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 5:22pm
Originally Posted by spider
It has. Micro switch with a spring loaded bar if you Know what I mean ? When the lid or front of the box is on it presses the bar on to the switch..can't go wrong realay..thanks for you input though..cheers

They've caught me out before, looks simple but sometimes its not pushed quite far enough, I check it with the box off and switch held down - same goes for control box.

Which model is the control box?
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 5:25pm
Just checked the key pad,that's ok..got me scratching big time now..thanks again for any help..
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 5:30pm
Hi again,that's what I done,I pushed the springs by hand and the Mrs done the key pad...but just the same..and the bell box..I'll have another go tomorrow from the start..one of the PIR,s is upside down ( all ways been like that') that would not make any difference would it ?. Cheers
The box has 5VA on the front that's all..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 5:36pm
Many PIR's aren't waterproof upside down as they have a vent gap/hole somewhere.

You need to put alarm in engineering mode and see what it thinks is wrong.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 6:15pm
I'll put it the right way up and down load the manual about engineering mode?Ill have to have a look into that to see what you mean..thanks for the info though..
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 4th Aug 2015 9:33pm
Some or even most pir have tamper switch too
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 8:20am
Hi, I have now put the PIR that was upside down the right way..I'm going to look at the bell box and see if anything is happening up there and check the main box with the battery in...the only PI.r I have touched is the one that was upside down so hopefully the tamper in that one is ok...thanks guys for trying to help me out here...cheers
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 12:44pm
Just disconnect the bell box from inside the control panel.

The tamper basically creates a loop, and if the wires are cut or crushed will cause the tamper to trigger.

in the past i have found the springs not seating probably causes a random fail.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 4:22pm
Hi,tried the disconnect the bell,still the same.getting nothing from the bell or strobe either.Think I'll have to get someone in to look and maybe reset it or something. I,m just fed up with it now and want to get the ladders out of the hall so we can get upstairs..never mind, thanks to everyone for there help and things to try,been a bit of an eye opener but it's got me beat,just tried to change the batteries and ended up having to get a new bell from MAS Wallasey dock rd because the bell battery was obserlete they said..cheers everyone..Dave
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 5:13pm
If you bypass the tamper i.e. put a link across the tamper terminals in the main alarm box.
This will prove if the tamper loop wiring is at fault and not a panel problem.
There are usually little links like staples left in the bottom of the panel.
If tamper light clears then you can either go hunting for the fault of just leave the link in. In reality the chances of anyone going to the trouble of stripping down a bell box or pir etc in the chance of the tamper not being active is slim.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 6:51pm
Hi,just tried the link with the tamper on the main box, still will not reset..? It's got me..thanks my mate..cheers
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 7:13pm
Originally Posted by spider
veritas alarm,.....unset light on and tamper light on,renewed panel battery,and renewed whole bell box and battery as old bell box obserlete,the problem is tamper light won't go off and can not reset...any help or advice would be appreciated...thanks..ASAP please. I have tried every thing I can find on the net ,but no luck..cheers..

I think your at the end of testing now.
Either bridge across each zone as you did with the tamper, use a wire or staple, and see if that stops it.

Filing that its probably a failed board.
Seeing that you've replaced everything else you may as well change the panel box out.

Check Ebay you may be surprised at the prices.
Or go to MAS with a online price in mind.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 5th Aug 2015 10:47pm
Mark, All that happened was the power had to be turned off for sockets to be changed,when turned back on it would not reset,Batteries needed I was told for box and bell..took batteries to MAS and he said the battery was obserlete and a new box was needed..box went on wall and wired as stated on the makers web site,but where the red wire went into the + terminal on the new box....the old box had a red and white going into the + terminal (2 wires) so I put the 2 wires in the plus terminal on the new one. May be this is the problem? All the fuses (4) are ok and the box is getting 240v and the transformer is putting out about 17v..I don't know mate...thanks for the info though....cheers. ..Dave
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 6th Aug 2015 9:20am
I by passed the tamper ,but it still won't reset? I'll give it a go for an hour today,but all I'm doing is pushing the same buttons and disconnecting the mains and battery to stop the internal buzzer, the outside bell and strobe seem dead?
Cheers
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 6th Aug 2015 9:31am
Bypassed tamper,but still won't reset..steady green light on main box means 240v ok no red light on button panel. So tamper bypassed..flashing green only. Pressed reset,put code in but will not reset..?
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 6th Aug 2015 10:00am
If you bought it from MAS there pretty good in there, im sure they can give you advice.

I would just disconnect everything, and start adding 1 at a time.

The batteries are only needed for back up (no Power) not day to day running. I disconnect them when working on panels as they keep tripping out as you work and just gives you a bad head ache.

Reset
Are you using your code or the Engineers code to reset as they are different in there own right.

If the batteries were old and no good, then when you killed the power it could forget your personal code.

Lookin in the manual about setting up from the start, as it may have reset to factory defaults.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 7th Aug 2015 8:11am
Hi Mark,sorry for coming back late I was out all day yesterday.I have tried to reset with my number and ,4321.1234 no good.Ill disconnect battery today and mess with the rest..this is the last go as I have had enough hair pulling...lol cheers
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 7th Aug 2015 5:22pm
Phoned veritas today for technical help,told me to put in 4321 then my own 4 digit code but it still would not reset...he said get someone to look at it and change the batteries,told him that's how it all started with the batteries being renewed,he said he could not help me and to get an engineer in..thanks Veritas...
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 7th Aug 2015 6:09pm
What is the model number?
Only so we can google and see if anyone else has a similar problem.

Sometimes there is a Rev number on the panel.
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 7th Aug 2015 8:55pm
So the tamper didn't clear after typing your code in and pressing reset.

If you have access to the engineers code (default 1234), type this in press program, all your zone lights should light up.

Press 19, this should take you to a latching walk test, if the tamper light is on it should be beeping 9 times, 10 times if a power fault and would have a flashing power light/ flashing unset light.

Press the omit key, that should then light up a zone number (this number refers to where the tamper is coming from)

if the following zones are illuminated after following the above.

1 is bell box or global tamper circuit
2 is a power fault
3 Lid tamper, panel lid or keypad lid
4 Line monitor (note r8+ and Excel only)
5 Keypad offline
6 Code pin tamper
7 (cant remember but possible a PA)
8 EOL (note r8+ and Excel only)

Given that you knocked it and was able to silence the alarm, its probably going to be a lid tamper.

Given the unit is over 5 years old when did you last replace your back up battery as its due to be replaced if its over 5 years old.

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/veritas-alarm-tamper-reset.389936/#ixzz3iAHaIexN
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 8th Aug 2015 11:01am
I think it is a engineers job..I can not reset it at all,I have put a loop on the tamper tried every number going and still nothing.If you know anyone that would come to Birkenhead Mark I would be very grateful..chargeable of course and I proberbly have every thing he needs here..thanks chum...Dave
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 8th Aug 2015 11:30am
Try the following.

Switch off power.
Disconnect battery.
Wait 10 seconds.
Connect the battery .... within 10 seconds Press the control panel tamper switch three times - this resets panel.
Enter 4321 (default user code) - tone should stop
Enter 1234 (engineering code)

You should now be in engineers mode and hitting the prog key puts you in programming mode.

It could be that someone has changed the engineering code, in which case you have problems. Some installers do this to ensure you come back to them and them only.
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 8th Aug 2015 11:44am
Hi,I done what you said,I now have a flashing green unset light..because no ac power connected I think...I also have tamper light on.even though I have a loop on the tamper on the main box..should I now try programming from the start? Thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 8th Aug 2015 12:02pm
Put the power on again if you want but be careful if you have box open.

There may be bell tamper connections as well as the main tamper loop connection.

Somewhere in the install manual it will tell you how to switch tamper off.

I assume its based on this one.

CLICKY

Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 8th Aug 2015 12:41pm
Yes,that's the one,I'll have. A look for a bell tamper,yes front of box is off and tamper loop still in..I have not heard the bell box go off yet,only the inside buzzer..the strobe has not come on either..brand new box?
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 9th Aug 2015 9:06am
Hi ,decided to renew main box and digital panel..Found the Veritas R8 at whole sale electricle on the Durley estate for £50, I don't think you would beat that price and its local.If I label up the wires right I should have no problem as it should be a straight swap.Thanks to every one who tried to help me it was much appreciated but just too much for me,I was starting to lose the plot..hope this goes well.Thanks again every one...Dave
Posted By: spider Re: Advice on a faulty house alarm please - 10th Aug 2015 5:38pm
Hi all,Got the panel and keypad from Wirral Electricle Wholesale on the Durley estate Prenton...Veritas R8 with keypad £49.99 Fitted in 40 mins programmed in 20mins...All sorted..thanks again to all the lads for your help,I am very much wiser now on how it's installed and works,and it's all due to you lads..Thanks ..Dave
© Wirral-Wikiwirral