Forums
Posted By: venice Four million 'friends'? - 14th Jun 2015 8:33am
If I join a public facebook group which looks like its been created for the purpose of buying and selling items locally , am I correct in thinking that if I joined to put an ad on it , or replied to an ad on the page (not as a pm ,thats not allowed) that all the members, and all the collective thousands of their 'friends' , would all automatically see my complete profile as my own personal 'friends' would ? If so, it would seem an excellent way to lose your privacy and safety ,having maybe thousands of people you dont know blimping into your life? Setting my privacy settings as 'friends only' would be a bit irrelevant.
Posted By: cathie Re: Four million 'friends'? - 14th Jun 2015 9:30am
No they can't, they only see a basic profile, your cover photos are open to all and the settings for that can't be changed. If you have a look through the settings on a full dashboard (ie not through the app) you can see what your profile looks like to people who aren't on your friends list
Posted By: Cobby Re: Four million 'friends'? - 14th Jun 2015 9:40am
withthat

The only thing you are making public is the post you put on the group. All that group members will see on your profile are the things you have made public. You can test this out by having a look at profiles of people on the group you've joined. You'll be able to view their profile and you'll see some info (eg friends list, likes, groups) plus any postings, photos etc that are public. Of course some people, for whatever reason, do make their whole account public, so there could be some where you'll see everything. If you want to see what others see on your profile, go to your profile page and from options list (shown as 3 dots at bottom right of your cover photo) choose "view as". You can then view your profile as seen either by a specific friend or by public
Posted By: venice Re: Four million 'friends'? - 14th Jun 2015 4:25pm
Thanks very much. I had convinced myself it would become see-able to all as Iam able to see nearly everyone elses. Shocked to see hardly anyone seems to opt for friends only on those sort of sites.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral