Forums
Posted By: johncon samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:17pm
Hi guys my wife's Samsung R20 plus laptop suddenly wont boot up . it powers up and makes all the noise,s it usually does but nothing else just a black screen . any help or any one recommended to have a look at it for us
Posted By: Mark Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:39pm
If there are any hard drive lights that flash see if they are active. If they are it may just be the screen at fault.
Posted By: johncon Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:46pm
HI mark it did it this morning just the power light came on and would not boot up turned it off and left it for a while tried it again and was fine then did the same again this evening but now just power light is on no hard drive lights
Posted By: 47fld Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:46pm
shine a torch or bright light onto the screen if your back light has gone you should be able to see something.......
Posted By: lansyp Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:50pm
Plug into a monitor and see if it boots up if it does it may be your back light which is why you shine the torch
Posted By: johncon Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 7:56pm
None of the hard drive lights are coming on so i dont think it is the screen
Posted By: Basisboy Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 8:12pm
Have you taken the battery out and tried to switch on with just mains??
Also do you get any bleeps when you switch on... sometimes the bleep sequence / noise means something - you can google what you hear.
Posted By: lansyp Re: samsung r20 - 26th Apr 2015 9:34pm
Is it taking a charge it could be the power socket try wiggleing the power supply thingy and see if it does anything .has there been any spillage on it even just a slight one could cause a problem
Posted By: Mark Re: samsung r20 - 27th Apr 2015 9:43am
Originally Posted by johncon
HI mark it did it this morning just the power light came on and would not boot up turned it off and left it for a while tried it again and was fine then did the same again this evening but now just power light is on no hard drive lights

When your doing these tests.

1. Remove the Battery.
2. When you power off remove the power lead from the laptop. For about 30 seconds.

That will help with diagnosis as it keeps the environment at a good Base to work from.

It is possible that the hard drive lights are not doing anything as there is a screen problem and you cannot read it. Windows will do a count down of about 30 seconds before it goes with what it wants to do.

You should normally see the screen light up with a logo or Boot sequence.

Give this a go it happens on my good old trusty laptop.

Simply close the lid and open it again. Try this a few times. And try to follow the screen with your eyes as you open and close the screen, as it may just be a trapped cable pulling or loose.

Let us know how you get on.

Posted By: johncon Re: samsung r20 - 27th Apr 2015 5:22pm
I have removed the battery and tried leaving it for a while . now when i press the button to start it it sounds like it is trying to start . ie makes a noise twice but still no lights and nothing at all on the screen . I have also tried it with a monitor connected with no result. if it cant be repaired is it still possible to retrieve files and folders from the hard drive ?
Posted By: lansyp Re: samsung r20 - 27th Apr 2015 7:07pm
Jyou vcan get a caddy and set your laptop hard drive as a slave and you should be able to retrieve everything
Posted By: lansyp Re: samsung r20 - 27th Apr 2015 7:08pm
Sorry can't spell lol
Posted By: 47fld Re: samsung r20 - 27th Apr 2015 7:59pm
ring peter from wallasey he is aways on wiki wirral and he fixs laptops nice chap very helpfull 07914564824
© Wirral-Wikiwirral