Forums
Posted By: StuyMac WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 3:51pm
Hope to get a bit of advice on why my wifi isnt working, Ive exhausted my knowledge, and hope there may be someone on here who can give some good advice on how to fix....

Yesterday, out of the blue, I started my laptop up and it cam back with the internet being not connected, with no connections available. The laptop has a Realtek RTL8191SE wifi card fitted.

Other devices in the house are connected ok to the router wirelessly, and I have internet connectivity with an ethernet cable direct to the router.

I have so far tried.... (with windows firewall enabled and disabled)

Disabling / re-enabling the adapter.

Uninstalling / re-installing the driver. (from HP Support site)

Updating the BIOS (from HP Support site)

Reseating the card.

Used system recovery to go back 2 weeks to when it was working fine.

In device manager, it says the adapter is working correctly, and if I try to set up the wireless connection in the network and sharing center it shows the wireless as having 5 green bars, but when you click it, it gives the small network "Not connected" box in the lower right of the desktop, this also has the wireless icon, showing grey signal bars with a red "X" next to it.

Also in the network and sharing center, when you click "view full map" it says the adapter is not connected.

Really struggling now, so any advice appreciated...
Posted By: davew3 Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 4:01pm
Sometimes you can get a problem with the router being on WPA2 and PSK and nothing else and your wifi card is set for WEP, so if the router is setup for a higher encryption it won't connect,
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 4:22pm
Probably already done it, but switch your wireless off and on. Usually FN key and a number... And right click the network you want to connect to and re-enter the password.
Posted By: movingtables Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 4:49pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Hope to get a bit of advice on why my wifi isnt working, Ive exhausted my knowledge, and hope there may be someone on here who can give some good advice on how to fix....

Yesterday, out of the blue, I started my laptop up and it cam back with the internet being not connected, with no connections available. The laptop has a Realtek RTL8191SE wifi card fitted.

Other devices in the house are connected ok to the router wirelessly, and I have internet connectivity with an ethernet cable direct to the router.

I have so far tried.... (with windows firewall enabled and disabled)

Disabling / re-enabling the adapter.

Uninstalling / re-installing the driver. (from HP Support site)

Updating the BIOS (from HP Support site)

Reseating the card.

Used system recovery to go back 2 weeks to when it was working fine.

In device manager, it says the adapter is working correctly, and if I try to set up the wireless connection in the network and sharing center it shows the wireless as having 5 green bars, but when you click it, it gives the small network "Not connected" box in the lower right of the desktop, this also has the wireless icon, showing grey signal bars with a red "X" next to it.

Also in the network and sharing center, when you click "view full map" it says the adapter is not connected.

Really struggling now, so any advice appreciated...

although other devices connect to your router fine i would still switch your router off for 30 seconds and back on.
give it a good 5 minutes for it start up and initalise then try the laptop again.
Posted By: Mark Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 5:41pm
Could this be virgin superhub ?
If so I could not resolve the issue and fitted an access point and it worked.

Also to check your laptop has ethernet?
Ping 127.0.0.1

You should get a reply.

Uninstall any internet security also.
Desperate measures I know. But you can always re install the Security again.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 18th Jun 2014 8:50pm
Does your f12 key turn wifi on and off?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 19th Jun 2014 7:09am
Thanks for all the replies guys smile

Many of them I have already tried, I havnt however uninstalled all the internet security yet, just disabled the firewall, so I guess that is the next step.

We are with Sky, and I have checked, and double checked all the settings, even reset to factory, and checked the encryption.

I am a Telecom Engineer, and have a degree in software engineering which is why this has got me a little puzzled as I have exhausted my knowledge, though I work with Unix / Linux machines rather than PC's.

I have also ordered a new Wifi card - £1.50 for a used, tried and tested jobbie - thought it was worth a shot even if just to eliminate the H/W sleep

Originally Posted by Mark

Ping 127.0.0.1

You should get a reply.

Posted By: movingtables Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 19th Jun 2014 7:17am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Thanks for all the replies guys smile

Many of them I have already tried, I havnt however uninstalled all the internet security yet, just disabled the firewall, so I guess that is the next step.

We are with Sky, and I have checked, and double checked all the settings, even reset to factory, and checked the encryption.

I am a Telecom Engineer, and have a degree in software engineering which is why this has got me a little puzzled as I have exhausted my knowledge, though I work with Unix / Linux machines rather than PC's.

I have also ordered a new Wifi card - £1.50 for a used, tried and tested jobbie - thought it was worth a shot even if just to eliminate the H/W sleep

Originally Posted by Mark

Ping 127.0.0.1

You should get a reply.

Don't forget to report back if you solve it as we need closure laugh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 19th Jun 2014 8:35am
Well, I fired it up this morning to try removing the internet security and everything is working fine crazy

I did update the Bios yesterday, and reinstall the wifi driver from the HP site, but I rebooted after reinstalling them and it made no difference. I did leave the laptop connected via ethernet for the rest of the day though.

When I powered up today, I did some auto updates / reconfiguration of windows, and when it booted the wifi adapter was working again.

Unfortunately there is nothing conclusive I can say that fixed it...
Posted By: movingtables Re: WLAN issue, not connecting..??? - 19th Jun 2014 2:26pm
ah well least it's working now tease
© Wirral-Wikiwirral