Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 6:41pm
After a bit of advice.

I have a
Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz Socket 2011 10MB L3 Cache Retail
Asus SABERTOOTH X79 Socket 2011 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Coolermaster cosmos s case
Water cooling on the processor

Playing battlefield 4 recently at ultra settings with the processor utilisation at around 40% I have been getting the odd message about the VTTCPU exceeding 60 degrees Celsius but on friday I got a message about the CPU exceeding 80 degrees celsius.

I turned it off straight away and took it to bigabyte who have re-done the thermal compound of the processor. Got it back tonight and within 20 mins of BF4 play I am getting the message again. Obviously I will give bigabyte a bell tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had any further ideas?

many thanks
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 7:28pm
Is the water circulating ok could be the water pump .. just a thought also what's your CPU average speed maybe you have some malware issues ... http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 8:21pm
no malware, it idles at around 45 degrees and goes upto about 81 degrees.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 8:58pm
FYI, it is a kuhler h2o 620.

Feeling the pipes, one is read hot and seems to be vibrating as though liquid is passing through it, the other is much colder and doesnt seem to be vibrating much/at all.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 9:13pm
Hi,

I know that computer! Sounds familiar.

Ok, I would say that firstly check the thermal paste, but I KNOW it was applied correctly and it was a AC thermal Greece. laugh

I would say that it is most likely the water cooler that is goosed, highly unlikely to be the CPU or board as generally they don't break.

If it was me I would buy a cheap universal air cooler. Strap it on and run heavy load, carry out a bios default reset to make sure all alerts are set correctly and that it shuts down correctly to prevent any damage.

Hope this helps
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 2nd Jun 2014 9:22pm
Thanks. I bought it from you lol. Any air coolers you would recommend
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Computer Overheating - 3rd Jun 2014 10:03am
If your looking to just carry out some tests then just get the cheapest one. If your looking for long term solution then either a cooler master hydro for water or a scyth or similar for air.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 3rd Jun 2014 10:20am
Fab thanks
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 3rd Jun 2014 12:29pm
what do you think of this

http://www.ebuyer.com/620756-antec-...-fan-120mm-radiator-led-antecwckuhler950
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Computer Overheating - 3rd Jun 2014 2:48pm
That looks fine. Test results are good for it also. I'm a fan of corsair hydro series

http://www.ebuyer.com/411328-corsai...formance-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060007-ww

Let me know how you get on. In the unlikely event that the CPU or board have failed they are both probably still under warranty.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 3rd Jun 2014 3:54pm
Fab.I have ordered a fan and heatsink for now. I will let you know how I get on
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Computer Overheating - 4th Jun 2014 7:40pm
bought myself a coolermaster fan for now, around 15 degrees cooler when idle and 40 degrees cooler when running battlefield 4 and carmageddon reincarnation at ultra graphics at the same time.

It seems to idle at around 22 degrees and maxed out at 44 degrees with 50 percent processor utilisation.

got a message when i booted up about the processor fan speed being to low at around 400rpm, but it is increasing to around 700 - 900rpm when the temp creeps up a degree or two.

thanks for your advice, i should have just done that at the start but took it to the shop expecting them to have the parts and test it for me, never mind, a lesson learnt. Will but that water cooler next month.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Computer Overheating - 7th Jun 2014 5:43pm
I bought this cooler on 23/07/2012 and I can see that they have a 3 year limited warranty. Possibly get it repaired or replaced for you if interested? Pm me if you are
© Wirral-Wikiwirral