Forums
Posted By: Kieran1981 35mm film era at an end - 24th May 2014 9:25am
Quentin Tarantino said this at Cannes: http://news.sky.com/story/1268058/tarantino-declares-death-of-cinema-at-cannes

What's your opinions on 35mm film being swapped for digital cinema projection? We have been using 35mm for over 100 years, easily one of the longest lived formats in existence and will probably remain so.
Posted By: davew3 Re: 35mm film era at an end - 24th May 2014 9:58am
Technology moves on, the selection of film with Kodaks demise the selection of a format is getting smaller, it will depend if companys can make a profit on selling 35mm film for them to carry on, I can't see much change at the moment but digital technology is starting to show some real quality and is easier to use, but 35mm is still about and can still be bought,
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: 35mm film era at an end - 24th May 2014 10:15am
It's taken us a 100 years though to find something better so 35mm has to be the longest and most successful format ever in movies/music probably followed by records on the music side. The first technology in an area always seems to be remembered the best.
Posted By: bri445 Re: 35mm film era at an end - 24th May 2014 10:52am
It will always be remembered and collected by enthusiasts and archives but the cost of the stock for duplication and general distribution around the world is way out of proportion compared with the digital system. See the improvements in home viewing of film! The 'new cinema' is now already just an extension of that tv technology. Most patrons won't worry about the system as long as the picture quality is maintained.
I hope someone out there is collecting old film projectors, great examples of precision engineering, but I suspect most are being smashed up right now!
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: 35mm film era at an end - 24th May 2014 10:57am
That's the thing I like about analogue technology, it's the engineering of the components that makes things happen, with digital stuff, it just seems so clinical and boring.
Posted By: j_demo Re: 35mm film era at an end - 25th May 2014 7:27pm
A small number of enthusiasts and "hipsters" will argue for it and claim it's better etc etc much like anything else. But as has been said. Technology moves on and with it it drags every aspect of our existence with it. This is no different.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral