Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:21am
I sold a laptop on here back in December a
HP Compaq Presario CQ61-223SA

It was a fresh install of Windows 7 on it, and had no user password set or Admin password.

Now 5 months later the buyer has contacted me and, this laptop has started asking for a Admin password and will not let him log on to laptop.

This is a new one on me, I have never heard of a laptop setting it's own password.

Any one any ideas please.
When windows was installed, no password was set.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:22am
It wouldn't, Virus/Spyware or User Error.

Windows password or BIOS?
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:33am
Originally Posted by rhoobarb2002
It wouldn't, Virus/Spyware or User Error.

Windows password or BIOS?
Windows password.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:44am
Password rest via boot-cd would be my first suggestion.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:57am
Something like this;
http://www.howtogeek.com/96805/how-to-reset-your-windows-password-without-an-install-cd/

TBH, it has been 5 months and has only just contacted you with this problem. Unless you added you would be tech support for x amount of months in the advert details I would say it is their problem.

Unless of course they want to pay for your time to sort it wink
Posted By: txt3rob Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 10:58am
boot from windows 7 DVD press shift f10 when you get the install screen

type

rename d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman1.exe

copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe utilman.exe

then reboot
click the blue square bottom left

type net user THEIRUSERNAME 1

then press enter

their new password is 1

PS charge em £20 it's their fault!
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 11:02am
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 11:03am
Something like this;
http://www.howtogeek.com/96805/how-to-reset-your-windows-password-without-an-install-cd/

TBH, it has been 5 months and has only just contacted you with this problem. Unless you added you would be tech support for x amount of months in the advert details I would say it is their problem.

I am happy to try to sort it for them, they bought it from me, so am happy to help.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 11:08am
Originally Posted by Willo_
Something like this;

I am happy to try to sort it for them, they bought it from me, so am happy to help.

Of course, but having been there and done that with this exact type of thing, 99% of people will abuse your kindness..

I get people who I fixed computers for years ago as a freebie favour ringing me asking if I can fix TV's, DVD Players, washing machines, etc. On the hope I can and will do it for another freebie.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 11:32am
Originally Posted by Willo_
Something like this;

Of course, but having been there and done that with this exact type of thing, 99% of people will abuse your kindness..

I get people who I fixed computers for years ago as a freebie favour ringing me asking if I can fix TV's, DVD Players, washing machines, etc. On the hope I can and will do it for another freebie.
Not everyone is the same.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 11:45am
No, not everyone
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 1:42pm
I have now fixed this.
Posted By: Mark Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 5:01pm
WHich method did you use wink
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Laptop Password help - 15th May 2014 7:10pm
The op password got me into laptop after going in to safe mode, but password would not log on to normal windows, as user account profile had gone.

I then used system restore back to the 10th May.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Laptop Password help - 16th May 2014 12:54pm
If he can't get into Windows then he can get an Ubuntu Live CD. (it doesn't matter which version) Boot into Ubuntu, access his Hard drive and retrieve his data to an external drive, then format the Laptop and re-install windows.
If his data isn't an issue, he can create a Windows user account and continue to use the old installation. Not my choice though, If it's locked him out once, it'll do it again.
Posted By: Babysteps Re: Laptop Password help - 27th May 2014 10:13pm
What did this person do to make that happen?
I only ask so I can make sure I don't do anything like it.
I have managed to do daft thing in the past,so you never know eek
© Wirral-Wikiwirral