Forums
Posted By: Fireblade Windows XP Help Reqd - 30th Apr 2014 9:34pm
I have WindowsXP,Firefox,Malwarebytes,
and Spybot,which i run every week,can anyone advise me,is it safe to run XP as long as i dont do my banking on it.
Cheers
Posted By: venice Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 2:25am
Here is some extra protection you could use .I think the word relatively is the operative one - from what Ive read, you do all you can, be vigilant over attachments and emails and hope you're lucky.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57620758-12/5-tips-for-running-windows-xp-relatively-safely/
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 6:49am
There is already a big hole in Internet Explorer 6 - 11 which is patched on > Xp So that's the first one.

WIth that one you have to visit a per say web site and then there is a possibility that they can take control of your profile.

As above.
Use it as a tool to surf the internet with. But remove any sensitive information on there. There was talke of a chinese company continuing with the XP security fixes as 50% of china is on xp so dont feel your the only one on XP.

Go into many establishments and there still on XP.

For total peace of mind its about £80 - £100 for a Win 7 Disc.
Worries are now gone smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 8:22am
Mark
I do have to wonder how long before Win 7 goes the same way as XP ie support withdrawn?

Mrs has an XP machine (mundane web searches, Word, Skype, Email - and banking, so I am also considering whether to (sadly) let XP "go" and upgrade her to Win 7. The machine she uses was inherited from her son after he used it for Uni over 4 years ie is likely messed full of c**p and badly needs a wipe and operating system re-install but I am inclined to stay with XP. In all the years of use we have never had any virus or similar problem.

Snod
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 8:36am
Windows lifecycle fact sheet
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 10:00am
When I used to do computer repairs I'd often find that the user never ran Windows Update and it was missing hundreds of patches and vulnerability fixes.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 11:10am
https://blog.avast.com/tag/windows-xp/
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 12:04pm
[quote=Snodvan]Mark
I do have to wonder how long before Win 7 goes the same way as XP ie support withdrawn?

Snod, I read Win 7 will be supported until 2020.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 12:36pm
Right on the button there Gibbo. My brother hardly ever does it and I have to sort it out now and again when I go there. When the computer gets too slow he just gets another one because he thinks it's goosed, it only needs a good clean out. Funny thing is that you can't change people who don't do their housekeeping.
Posted By: PCM1G Re: Windows XP Help Reqd - 1st May 2014 1:46pm
You could install linux. Generally less security issues, especially those targeting microsoft.

Most things will run on linux, except office - but openoffice is normally good enough for most people in general domestic use.

Not an expert by any means, but seems a safer (free) way of alleviating your fears over e-security on an unsupported XP (or at least until the chinese do something about it).

Good luck
© Wirral-Wikiwirral