Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 10:08am
Getting too old to learn another operating sytem

What is end of support?
After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.

Support for Office 2003 also ends on April 8, 2014.

What does this mean?
It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer. PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system – such as Windows 8.1 – so you can receive regular security updates to protect their computer from malicious attacks.

more details

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 11:13am
Seems to me I read that Firefox will still support XP but not Internet Explorer. Can anybody enlighten us?
Posted By: venice Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 1:08pm
Oh d*mn it - Ive only just begun to feel at home with my XP!!! Hope someone will be able to put up some "change for complete dummies" information up as to what to do , no doubt there will be all sorts of dodgy stuff offered up on the net for the unsuspecting IT duffers like me, as to what to upload to sort yourself out , and its so easy to end up with something horrible inside your pc!!

Thanks fish - I had heard something months ago, didnt understand what to do, and promptly forgot about it. All I remember is at the time the article said something about if you upgrade to ONE of the Explorer numbers, (dont know if it was 8.1) it wasnt considered very good and perhaps use an alternative .
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 2:33pm
I will probably stick it out with XP and maybe just get some security software installed like Norton . It did say in the blurb that virus definitions will still be updated by microsoft on XP till 2015.
Just need to back up stuff more regularly.
Posted By: Alonso Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 2:42pm
Phew! I have been using windows xp since 2006, my machine crashed a couple of weeks ago. I have found another desktop with windows 7. What a difference it is too. How I put up with the slowness of xp all these years makes me shake my head in wonder. Good luck whatever you do.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 3:48pm
There is a UK (China) firm that are going to keep plugging the security holes in xp as more than half of china is still running xp and wont upgrade smile

Dont panic.

Originally Posted by snowshoes
Seems to me I read that Firefox will still support XP but not Internet Explorer. Can anybody enlighten us?

xp stopped supporting IE 8 i think that's why many people jumped to firefox and then later to chrome. Its not a download option.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 5:13pm
Thanks Mark. What do you think about cancelling any auto updates after April 8 as they be malicious?
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 27th Mar 2014 5:37pm
Auto Updates contacts windows servers so i don't think that should be a problem. I would imagine there has been an xp update to annoy you after the said date.

Dont panic it should all be good.

Personally i would leave the updates in place in case microsoft think of something as an after thought. wink
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 28th Mar 2014 10:54am
Just buy Windows 7, installing Classic Shell if you want the XP look and feel.
Posted By: Stingray Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 28th Mar 2014 11:17am
Microsoft should make Windows 7 free for all the inconvenience they will cause! grrr!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 5th Apr 2014 12:10pm
You try and search google or microsoft for Windows 7 it goes straigt to Windows 8.1 upgrade so i think its a Microsoft money spinner.. I think redmond will have a shock with people putting 2 fingers up lol smile
Posted By: Salmon Re: Windows XP Support To End April 8th - 5th Apr 2014 5:14pm
All may not be lost
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...t-5.5m-to-extend-Windows-XP-support.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral