Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Wireless printer - 24th Jan 2014 11:11pm
Is it possible to set up wireless printer with out a router, I have wireless laptop, I wish to connect to printer whilst also having my laptop tethered to my mobile wireless.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Wireless printer - 24th Jan 2014 11:18pm
honestly, while not being 100% sure, i'm 99% sure it's NOT possible
Posted By: Mark Re: Wireless printer - 24th Jan 2014 11:30pm
Not in that set up because your laptop is not acting as a gateway for the printer. If you can connect it to your mobile you might get somewhere. I think I can tether up to 6 devices on my phone. (I read that but not tried it.).

You can print to your printer if supports wifi direct. But you would have to switch wifi connections from phone to printer.

You may have to manually configure the setup as the printer would use its default ip address which my not be the same network.

Posted By: Mark Re: Wireless printer - 24th Jan 2014 11:33pm
You could set up your router without the internet. Use that to connect the printer too, and then switch from phone to printer on the ssid.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Wireless printer - 24th Jan 2014 11:45pm
Switching and changing is not an option, I think it best I use usb lead for printer, unless I tether phone to laptop using phone usb lead, and just set up a router and connect laptop wireless to router and printer to router, would it work like that.

Where I work has no internet, and we really need printer to print out the on-line orders, as writing them down from screen is to slow and mistakes are happening.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Wireless printer - 25th Jan 2014 2:52pm
Originally Posted by Willo_
Switching and changing is not an option, I think it best I use usb lead for printer, unless I tether phone to laptop using phone usb lead, and just set up a router and connect laptop wireless to router and printer to router, would it work like that.

Where I work has no internet, and we really need printer to print out the on-line orders, as writing them down from screen is to slow and mistakes are happening.

simple answer would be to get internet, you can get it these days for under a tenner a month and it would help you out a lot
Posted By: fillbo Re: Wireless printer - 25th Jan 2014 6:22pm
Have a look here http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110430035057AAYS5Vu
As for a wireless internet requirement, you do not need an internet connection at all, either wired or wireless, nor do you need a wireless router in order to connect to a wireless printer. All you need is a wireless capable computer and the wireless printer. Using the software that came with the printer, you need to setup an "ad hoc" wireless network that consists of your computer and the printer as they will create the "network" and talk directly to each other. The printer and computer will not work wirelessly together without a fair amount of setup and configuration on both the printer and computer. Check your printer's user manual for instructions on how to set it up for wireless communication. You will also need to install the printer & it's drivers on your computer in order for it to print.

There's a few more links on this site.
Hope this helps
© Wirral-Wikiwirral