Forums
Posted By: shar215 tablet - 15th Jan 2014 1:01pm
hi my dad is going on a long holiday to the gambia .he is looking for a tablet to take with him but it must be able to take sim cards or maybe a top up dongle . is there any out there that are compatible ?
Posted By: Mark Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 1:09pm
I dongle would not work as you need a USB slot to put the dongle in.

Your going to need a sim free tablet which are not cheap.

Depending upon where he is in the Gambia is there going to be a DATA connection. A phone signal and a Data Signal are not the same thing. And if its not out in the sticks he may as well use the hotel facility's or source a internet cafe.

To achieve what you ask he is also going to be a bit savvy with the connections and how to get the right one.

He could tether from a mobile phone ??
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 8:19pm
I thought most tablets had a usb port, mine does, so does quiet a few others I know.
Posted By: Mark Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 8:46pm
Micro usb they have not Full size..
Not all Tablets recognise all devices or connected devices.

Thats why its probably best to use a mobile phone and tether.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 8:57pm
I use a Micro usb to usb adapter

Attached picture usb.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 9:10pm
Now see if it "will" recognise the dongle.
O/S dependent and version.

We want it to be simple but it doesn't always work out that way.

Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 15th Jan 2014 9:17pm
Increasingly the hotels do have WiFi access, usually in the reception area although some do have access in the rooms. There may be a charge locally for this access. Please check regarding individual hotels and be aware that telephone and internet connections in The Gambia can be erratic with often weak connections.
Taken from here,
http://www.gambia.co.uk/Docs/Travel-Info/Know-Before-You-Go/FAQ.aspx
Posted By: shar215 Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 3:29pm
he is staying in a friends house with no internet he can use it in pubs and restaurants . Zipper do's that adapter work with all tablets and will it recognize a dongle ?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 4:28pm
Hi, the adapter should work on all tablets. The dongle normally only comes with Windows or Mac software so it would have to be a dearer tablet with Windows installed. The good news is that if he is using it in a pub etc. he can use the built in WiFi of the tablet to connect. There may be a charge but I have no idea how you would pay?, maybe you need to give credit card details over a dodgy pub WiFi?. Think I`d stick to using an internet café or one in a Hotel and pay more securely.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 4:37pm
Here is a link to an Internet Café.
http://www.accessgambia.com/biz/internet-cafe-kairaba-avenue.html
You could Email them and ask a few questions and also how they take payment. Cheers
Posted By: Mark Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 6:55pm
Originally Posted by shar215
he is staying in a friends house with no internet he can use it in pubs and restaurants . Zipper do's that adapter work with all tablets and will it recognize a dongle ?

That adapter will fit most Tablets.
But its a pure guess if the software on the tablet will recognise.
1. The Dongle
2. The Data Connection Needed.

If you have the opportunity to go on to the local wifi use that.
Just be security minded.

Don't use passwords.
Don't do any banking or transactions.

If you can tell us the Make of the Tablet and Version we may help more. But Wifi is the more reliable option at the moment.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 7:52pm
Mark/ Zip

I'm watching this thread with interest. I have a tablet - the Tesco Hudl. Does what I want and at £60 (with the Tesco Voucher offer) it is ok but poor wi-fi sensitivity and cameras. Around the house I use my own wi-fi link. Almost all use is "around the house" although I did take it to Tenerife over Christmas and managed to link into the RUBBISH hotel wi-fi.

However, while I regard the Hudl as an around the house book reader with internet I DO WANT MORE.

I go camping in UK/ continental fields with no wi-fi.

Mrs will want to take something to South America where wi-fi will be problematic.

I sometimes travel to "funny" countries and wi-fi is rare or I just do not understand how to connect because the instructions are in non-English script/ my keyboard does not have the local script characters

I am willing to get another tablet to cover these eventualities. There ARE tablets that take SIM card as well as having wi-fi eg (just an example) The Samsung Tab2 or 3, BIG QUESTION is if I bought one of these would it be "locked" to a specific ISP for the SIM ?

I could ask in Tesco etc I suppose but I do not always trust their answers.

Locked K ISP would be no use, especially for the Mrs because when she travels she almost always picks up a local SIM for her unlocked mobile phone(**) - UK SIMS just do not work. Same would be for me when I travel.

(** which the daft woman left in the hotel room in Israel last year so we need another unlocked multiband phone anyway).

Advice appreciated

Snod

Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 8:20pm
Hi, here is a link to an unlocked dongle on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-E1...roadband_Devices&hash=item2a365a87df

The trouble is I cant see any software for an Android tablet to make it work. Your Mrs has the right idea, buying different sims for her phone. That way as Mark said you could tether your
mobile phone and tablet. Check here...
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3279408/how-tether-google-android-phone/
Oh, yes, you would need to buy different sims for the Tablet
Posted By: Mark Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 9:24pm
@snodvan.

Its my understanding that the sim tablets are locked to the providers, the reasonably priced ones. So there goes about £350 + but for a unlocked one throw a £150 on top. Thats an estimate on a new tablet. A older model which has been unlocked would be cheaper obviously.

Tab 2 or Tab 3
Pound for pound stay with Tab 2.
Its has very few extras. Faster processor which is the highlight. Most reviews dont see the point of the Tab 3. (10.1versions). I looked into it not so long ago as I was thinking of out gadgeting the missus lol. Not worth it.

Hope that helps.

Pound for pound. Hassel and compatibility tethering solves many sins.

Tethering.
Use your mobile phones data conection to access the internet.
Turn on tethering on the phone which behaves like a wifi access point.
Take your tablet and connect the wifi to your phones wifi access point. You now have the internet via your mobile.

Tethering is again down to your devices.
The point being if you can do the above in the uk then you can do it abroad.
Also if your abroad your phone would have to be unlocked to allow the data sim.

Dont forget Apple has a micro mini sim.
Which isnt always as easy to get.

Hope that helps a little.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 9:34pm
Mark
Tethering implies using an Android phone
I have an ancient (E63) Nokia
Mrs has a 2 year old Blackberry

Neither are good starting points for tethering.

I need to think a lot more about this - but quick because Mrs is off to South America next month.

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: tablet - 16th Jan 2014 9:43pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan

(** which the daft woman left in the hotel room in Israel last year so we need another unlocked multiband phone anyway).

As you said, new phone
Posted By: plot21 Re: tablet - 18th Jan 2014 4:25pm

Not quite true, some Window mobile phones such as the Nokia Lumia allow tethering.

In fact I think that the Nokia E63 as well as quite a few other later high end Symbian based phones can be used for internet tethering, there are/were apps for turning the later Nokia Symbian phones into wifi hotspots e.g. JoikuSpot
Posted By: plot21 Re: tablet - 18th Jan 2014 4:36pm
A MIFI or mobile Wi-Fi device might be more suitable, they are miniature routers that connect using the 3G/4G network.

Whatever method is used be aware of the horrendous data charges if roaming especially outside the EU.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: tablet - 18th Jan 2014 10:19pm
Originally Posted by plot21

Not quite true, some Window mobile phones such as the Nokia Lumia allow tethering.

In fact I think that the Nokia E63 as well as quite a few other later high end Symbian based phones can be used for internet tethering, there are/were apps for turning the later Nokia Symbian phones into wifi hotspots e.g. JoikuSpot

Looks like you are correct about the E63 ie a bit of a Google says that using Nokia Suite and a connector cable I should be able to connect the E63 to a PC and send messages via the phone. I have had a try - and failed miserably, but early days yet.

ANYWAY - I think I have decided
Option 1 is to get the Mrs Blackberry 9300 unlocked and then she can use a local South American SIM card. Only issue is that strictly the phone is locked to Virgin until end Feb - but maybe is I beg they will let me have it unlocked by mid Feb

Option 2 is to buy outright a new SIM free Motorola Moto G and again a local South American SIM card can go in that.
Looks to be a good phone for the £130 - or a bit more for 16Gig. No micro sd slot but I can cope.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral