Forums
Posted By: bobi1 Chromebooks - 10th Dec 2013 3:28pm
Hi. Can anyone tell me if chromebooks are any good for school kids, ie for doing homework on? They seem cheap and I'd like to buy one each for my kids to help with their homework so they obviously need to be able to print off documents. From what I gather I will need to link my printer, an Epson BX305 to The Cloud first, then save docs to The Cloud so they can be printed at home. How easy is this to do and more importantly are these chromebooks fit for purpose?
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Chromebooks - 11th Dec 2013 12:39pm
Personally, if you are microsoft'd then you will not get on well with a Chromebook as they do not have Microsoft office nor do they plan Windows Games etc.

They are more of a dumb terminal than anything where you do virtually everything in the web browser.

Brilliant idea, but in practice, for alot of people, totally inadequate.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Chromebooks - 11th Dec 2013 12:54pm
I agree. For the price I'd look for a second hand Windows laptop.

And you should be able to get the full Microsoft Office package via the school very cheap, or even for free:

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?culture=en-GB
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Chromebooks - 11th Dec 2013 6:17pm
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll be buying any from the info you have given.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Chromebooks - 12th Dec 2013 10:30am
Don't get me wrong, they're nice, but its a very similar situation to when netbooks first came out and there were Linux and Windows versions.

The Linux model was cheaper but people just couldn't get to grips with it, they love their familiarity of the OS they use on a regular basis.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral