Forums
Posted By: tango hp laptop black screen - 4th Dec 2013 11:52pm
I have a hp laptop that tries to start up, but screen remains black and caps lock key flashes, and wireless light remains constant orange
Does anyone know whats wrong, and where can I get it fixed ?
Done the usual, take the battery out etc, no luck, screen stays black
Posted By: j_demo Re: hp laptop black screen - 5th Dec 2013 12:03am
PM TheDr

i have a very similar problem, i have a DV7 3020sa and the screen just didnt work one day neither does the touch pad media and volume control things and the wifi light is off, but the wifi still works. i've just HDMI'd it into my tv so basically i use th e tv as a laptop and bought a logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad from staples for £25 and all is good i can watch tv from itiplayer, skyplayer, itvplayer 4od etc. can use the computer from anywhere in the living room, watch tv) on it and the like. i don't know why i didnt do it before as the battery is dead and so i have to keep the computer constantly plugged in.

if your comp works, that might be a shout
Posted By: tango Re: hp laptop black screen - 5th Dec 2013 12:06am
Thanks worth keeping in mind will pm doctor also
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: hp laptop black screen - 5th Dec 2013 12:07am
Try here..
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-Lock-Button-Light-Blinking/td-p/1300161

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=dk&docname=c01443366
Posted By: 47fld Re: hp laptop black screen - 5th Dec 2013 8:50pm
try shining a torch on the screen if you can see windows the back light has gone......
Posted By: nem12esis Re: hp laptop black screen - 9th Dec 2013 12:09pm
If you hear all the ususl noises associated with start up but the screen remains blank, one would think the problem is a faulty or failed screen.
Posted By: Mark Re: hp laptop black screen - 9th Dec 2013 6:43pm
When you power up the laptop you get the POST Screen which tells you the memory etc. This is the Power On Self Test. No drivers not gimmicks just the hardware testing its self.

If you can not see any of the Boot Up POST screen.
Then it is a Hardware problem and not the operating system.

* Back Light.
All modern screens are illuminated with a back light.
If that is gone then you should be able to see the POST Screen as faint as it will be. it may look like moving shadows to you or me but that would indicate there is a signal to the screen.

Not all screens / back lights are separates.
Check your make and model via ebay and see what comes up.

* The Normal Noises.
The fan should blow, and slow once windows has loaded.
The Hard Drive Activity light should flash for over a minuet as windows loads up too.

Caps Lock
As the Pc boots up it will turn on and off the caps lock light once or twice. You can use the caps lock button to test if the pc has locked up on you? When you think its loaded then try pressing the "Number Lock" key and if that lights up on / off as you press it then the laptop is running as expected and not frozen or locked up.
If the "number Lock" Button does nothing then it will need more investigation.

**** TIP ****
Plug an External Monitor in to your laptop and see if you can see what's happening !!
Sometime you need to enable this, but it may work ??
Posted By: derekdwc Re: hp laptop black screen - 11th Dec 2013 9:10pm
My daughters laptop also has a similar problem although she see the screen but it's funny and when she connected to her tv the picture on the tv is ok.
Is there anything a solution
Posted By: Mark Re: hp laptop black screen - 11th Dec 2013 10:26pm
Describe Funny ?
Does the screen show Test at POST BOOT UP?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: hp laptop black screen - 11th Dec 2013 11:00pm
Will visit her and check.
I have to take a flat screen monitor for now
© Wirral-Wikiwirral