Forums
Posted By: mrefc new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 9:53am
Hi. I'm in the market for a new smart tv but there is so many to choose from. Narrowed it down to 3 so if any 'expert' on here can give any advice or recommendation on them I'd be very grateful. Below are the 3

http://www.isme.com/toshiba-40l6353db-40-inch-full-hd-freeview-hd-smart-slim-led-tv/1261004232.prd?sort=price,1

http://www.isme.com/lg-39ln575v-39-inch-full-hd-freeview-hd-led-smart-tv/1261002226.prd?sort=price,1

http://www.isme.com/samsung-ue40eh5300-40-inch-full-hd-freeview-hd-led-smart-tv/1115171746.prd?sort=price,1

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Moonstar Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 4:09pm
Article in the Daily Mail today about a IT savvy guy with an LG smart TV usb'd into its functioning and discovered that it was sending information back to LG on what he was watching!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...TVs-collect-save-information-owners.html
Posted By: emian Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 8:27pm
Personal preference I'd go for the Samsung - Don't own an LED TV always bought plasma's.

Have you tried AVForums?
Posted By: Lando Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 8:36pm
Lg all the way I see over 100 tvs a wek
Posted By: tiptop Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 9:59pm
I find the capacitors in the LG tvs to blow very easy
LG are part of the old goldstar

Lg smart tvs with 3d runs passive 3D which is the glasses without a battery but you have to set right in front of it to get the 3d to work right and with passive 3d you don't get full hd, so if the film is in 1080p you only get half that as it takes out every other line to make up the 3d

samsung smart tvs with 3d is active 3d which needs a battery to run (under £3 on amazon for 12) and run at full hd as the glasses flicker the left and right eye, which some people get headaches.

you can view at a 90o angle with active 3d
samsung can turn 2d to 3d so you can watch anything in 3d like BBC/ITV (3d is better with hd than sd)

if you need any help with the jargon let me know I'll be happy to help smile
Posted By: Lando Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 11:40pm
Lg all the way , lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: new TV advice - 22nd Nov 2013 11:42pm
LG are CRAP

Go for the Toshiba.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: new TV advice - 23rd Nov 2013 12:08am
oh i need to ask your over i cant pm .
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: new TV advice - 23rd Nov 2013 12:23am
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss

you are over your pm limit dude, delete yours
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: new TV advice - 23rd Nov 2013 12:27am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss

you are over your pm limit dude, delete yours
pmj me
Posted By: mrefc Re: new TV advice - 25th Nov 2013 10:32am
Gone for the LG. Let you know how I get on. Cheers
Posted By: chriskay Re: new TV advice - 25th Nov 2013 12:33pm
Originally Posted by tiptop

LG are part of the old goldstar

The initials actually stand for Lucky Goldstar. Goldstar made radios in Korea, Lucky made toothpaste and detergents.
Posted By: mrefc Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 9:04am
I went for a Toshiba in the end. Looks like a bad move. The sound is awful. Very tinny after around no.15 volume and almost sounds like a vibration.Toshiba 40L1333B.

Any suggestions on how to improve it?

I read a lot of new tvs have smaller speakers but this sound is annoying and if it can't be improved it will be going back on Friday.

Cheers
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 10:07am
if you have already gone into the menu and adjusted the sound, dynamic bass boost etc there must be something wrong, take it back.

my tv is a toshiba, £800 2 years ago and still as good as the day we got it with good bassy sound and surround sound without the need for extra speakers.

so there must be something wrong, since i was a nipper we have always had toshiba and never had a problem.

i have had 2 samsung tvs and both have had a shadow problem over the screen over time and i wouldnt touch LG as they are crap as is their customer service. i used to repair them and 98% would be LG.
Posted By: tiptop Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 10:46am
Help me out here, you said you've gone for a lg TV and you'll let's know how it is, then in your next post you say you got a toshiba think did you buy the two? Didn't most of us tell you to go with the samsung? Look on Amazon for your review of the tosh TV most say the sound is sh!t could be your tweeters are loose making the Reverberation sound A tweeter is a loudspeaker designed to produce high audio frequencies, typically from around 2,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz (generally considered to be the upper limit of human hearing). Specialty tweeters can deliver high frequencies up to 100 kHz. The name is derived from the high pitched sounds made by some birds, especially in contrast to the low woofs made by many dogs, after which low-frequency drivers are named (woofers)
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 11:03am
People with a brain will work out that he changed his mind when he got to the shop of which TV to buy. Also typing in green is a bit sad, no.. a lot sad. As for 2 loose tweeters on a new TV? If the reviews say the sound is bad, does this mean all must have loose tweeters?. I`m going back in my box, I feel safer there!.

Chocolate tea pot comes to mind, for some reason.
Posted By: tiptop Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 2:44pm
Thank you zipper good input I see fook all to add as you know everything, I used the green text to hi-light what a tweeter was and as it was not part of the main text I made it green, please if you know what is making the tv sound bad tell everyone on here as it may help smile if you read again you'll see I said it could be a loose tweeter NOT this is what is wrong but you know this and just wanted to have your daily troll wink And please can you stop calling me sad, all you need to say was what is with the green text, to which I would of told you.

love to know your take on what's wrong with the sound (puts me in mind of the people on youtube when the xbox got the red ring of death, put a towel around it smack )
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 10:35pm
I have emailed Toshiba to see if they supply their Tvs with loose tweeters and I`ll get back to you when they stop laughing and let you know their reply. I do not try to explain the lousy noise on the TV as I have no firm idea. I could blame the settings for bass etc. but as I do not have any experience with that TV, I could very well be wrong. I do not come out with remarks which are obviously daft to say the least. Nor do I use colourful text which is very hard to read. I had to highlight it to make it clear enough to read.
Posted By: tiptop Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 10:50pm
http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/227034.html

whistle

have a nice day now (love you xxx)

Posted By: ZipperClub Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 10:58pm
Hopefully they found his tweeters as his was the only Tv without them it seems.
I see he posted it on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:20 GMT
Posted By: mrefc Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 11:07pm
i have also emailed toshiba customer support asking for advice. when i read the reviews on about 5 sites, the majority say 4/5 for sound quality. a couple say poor. but every tv review i said had a number of reviews saying poor sound so it was much of a muchness. went for this one as it was in budget @ £300. still wouldnt expect it to be as bad as it is.

any sound level above 15 on the tv sounds tinny and vibrates. can feel the tv vibrating when i put my hand on the speaker
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 11:14pm
I suffer from a bit of odd deafness, I have a freeview box attached to the TV and have to have the sound on the TV quite high. I use the volume button on the remote for the freeview box to control how high/low it is. If I lower the the volume with the TV remote I cant make out the sounds as good. So there must be some difference in the tones from the freeview box and the TV. I presume your TV will have freeview built in, maybe you could try instaling a freeview box via the scart socket and mess around with the volumes on the TV and freeview box. Or do the easy thing and swap it :-)
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: new TV advice - 28th Nov 2013 11:50pm
Originally Posted by tiptop
have a nice day now (love you xxx)

Aww, saw this and I thought I`d buy it for you LOL xoxoxox

Attached picture images.jpg
Posted By: mrefc Re: new TV advice - 29th Nov 2013 1:12am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
I suffer from a bit of odd deafness, I have a freeview box attached to the TV and have to have the sound on the TV quite high. I use the volume button on the remote for the freeview box to control how high/low it is. If I lower the the volume with the TV remote I cant make out the sounds as good. So there must be some difference in the tones from the freeview box and the TV. I presume your TV will have freeview built in, maybe you could try instaling a freeview box via the scart socket and mess around with the volumes on the TV and freeview box. Or do the easy thing and swap it :-)

I'll be swapping but don't know what to
Posted By: mrefc Re: new TV advice - 29th Nov 2013 6:53pm
Right as I had a bravia for last 4 years with no problems I went for a new one again. Full hd freeview 1080p.

But.... when I press the info button on hdmi channel when connected with my Virgin hd box it only states the channel is being viewed in 720. When I go to dtv it says 575.

Where's the 1080???
© Wirral-Wikiwirral