Forums
Posted By: Tilly iPhone 5 software update - 20th Sep 2013 9:16pm
Hi
Since doing a software update on my iPhone 5 the charger I got with it won't charge the phone. It just says it's not compatible with my device.
Does anyone know why?
Posted By: _Billy_ Re: iPhone 5 software update - 20th Sep 2013 9:19pm
Originally Posted by Tilly
Hi
Since doing a software update on my iPhone 5 the charger I got with it won't charge the phone. It just says it's not compatible with my device.
Does anyone know why?

If its not an original Apple charger you will sometimes get this message, sometimes if you unplug it and plug back in a few times it will work for a bit.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: iPhone 5 software update - 21st Sep 2013 5:21am
Seem to remember reading somewhere yesterday that there is uproar over the latest iphone update but not having got one didn't read further.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/18/technology/mobile/ios-7-install/index.html
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: iPhone 5 software update - 22nd Sep 2013 5:42pm
some one in work was ranting on about his doing the same. apple will have to pull there finger out or theres going to be embarrassment again.
Posted By: TheDr Re: iPhone 5 software update - 22nd Sep 2013 6:20pm
Apple fitted a small chip into the head of the adapter on its lightning cable.

When you upgrade to iOS 7 this chip can be read and very often you'll get a message saying that the cable isn't a recognised device, this is because Apple don't want people using the cheaper generic cable.

The good news is that your original cable has a 12m warranty on it the same as your phone, so if you take it back to Apple (and the phone is still in warranty) they'll give you a new one.

They're replacing cables all day long, the lighting adapter is not a good design.

Don't try returning a copy, they can tell the difference.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: iPhone 5 software update - 23rd Sep 2013 2:37pm
Thats disgusting. Im not updating to 7 until the jailbreak comes out and this can be patched.
Posted By: julie253 Re: iPhone 5 software update - 23rd Sep 2013 5:03pm
Mine says that but still charges.
Posted By: TheDr Re: iPhone 5 software update - 23rd Sep 2013 6:39pm
Originally Posted by julie253
Mine says that but still charges.

Maybe I didn't make that clear, "most" of the cables will still charge the iPhone, you just keep getting a nag message.

I have a triple head cable I use in the car (one solid plastic head with iPhone old type across the top, iPhone 5 on one side and blackberry on the other) still charges everything fine, just nags on the iOS 7 from the 5 and 5s, using it on the 4th gen iPod is fine as you can't get that past iOS 6.

Strangely it doesn't moan on the iPad.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: iPhone 5 software update - 24th Sep 2013 8:40pm
Yeah mine nags at me - I just treat it like my ex husband and ignore it smile The 3 pin wall adapter is more sensitive than using USB straight into laptop or other but for 3 pin I just unplug and plug back in and it charges fine.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral