Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Create website (Help) - 17th Sep 2013 10:45am
The website I have created which you can see by clicking on advert on bottom of wikiwirral on every page the takeaway advert.

I own the domain, but used a company called webs to set the site up, and just redirected my domain to that site.

However I no longer want to use that company as the prices they charge I am not happy with, and it's hit and miss on being able to update site or make changes, and seems to be very slow.

So what I would like to know, how hard is it to set a site up from scratch and, I already have a hosting company with my domain.

Where do i start ?

I would be grateful for any pointers in the right direction.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Create website (Help) - 17th Sep 2013 11:34am
You should be able to download all your webfiles in File Manager and simply swap. Some other companies do the swap for you. Evohosting used to be good but its been ages since i had a site.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Create website (Help) - 17th Sep 2013 6:14pm
I use Unlimited http://www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk/index.php

If you can port your existing site then as Deano says get a copy ande stick it in your new host.

I think you have built the site in Webs proprietary language, this may cause problems, if anything goes wrong or you need to update.

We build a lot in Wordpress, its free, open source and stable. There are loads of template sites to choose from have a look.

http://wordpress.com/

Good tutorials and good support.

Joomla and Drupal are also great to develop with.

Hope this helps,

K

Posted By: Willo_ Re: Create website (Help) - 17th Sep 2013 7:24pm
Am currently looking at 1&1 for a site and moving my domain to them.
I cant copy any files from webs.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Create website (Help) - 17th Sep 2013 8:31pm
Think 1&1 offer an in-house proprietary system, so you should be okay to start building away, make sure you have logos and content to save time and effort. (Grab screens before you lose the old content).

Once sorted it may be worth checking any old links are pointing to the new site.

Hope you get it sorted.

K
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Create website (Help) - 18th Sep 2013 7:20am
I have used freeloa.com for over ten years they are a British company and you can call them if you have a problem and they talk you through hope this helps
Stu movacs.com
© Wirral-Wikiwirral